Revel 32nd P-51

Over on LSP, they have some pics and additional info on the upcoming Revell P-51D.   So far it looks like a winner.  No flaws noted, unlike most of the other large scale Revell kits.  I'm intrigued.  I know the Tamiya kit is outstanding but it's also incredibly expensive.  Even if you bulk up the Revel kit with a bunch of aftermarket, you'll still probably pay less than half of the Tamiya kit costs.  Plus, I kinda like the look of the early D models, sans the vertical stab fairing. 

If the reviews are favorable once it's released, I think I'll be purchasing one.  

Edited by 11bee

Yeah - when I first saw they were doing yet another 1/32 D mustang I was kinda meh about it - for petes sake do we need another 1/32 D, why not a B model instead, blah blah, but I can see space for this kit as it is cheap, so far looks really solid in the detailing and is  great "no frills" option vs the Tamiya and ZM kits. I expect they sell a bunch of them and at 27 bucks I will likely get at least one unless there are some major problems that turn up with it  (seems unlikely at this point)

3 hours ago, Petrov27 said:

Yeah - when I first saw they were doing yet another 1/32 D mustang I was kinda meh about it - for petes sake do we need another 1/32 D, why not a B model instead, blah blah, but I can see space for this kit as it is cheap, so far looks really solid in the detailing and is  great "no frills" option vs the Tamiya and ZM kits. I expect they sell a bunch of them and at 27 bucks I will likely get at least one unless there are some major problems that turn up with it  (seems unlikely at this point)

I was really hoping for a B as well, can't understand why there is no love for this variant.  Regardless, with all the great AM stuff out there for the Tamiya kit, you should be able to make a winner.  Hell, I just want to get the Revell kit so I can add this:

BR32013 P-51D Mustang Instrument Panel

It's Barracudacast's mind-blowing resin / PE instrument panel.  I've been drooling over this for ages but never wanted to spend the big bucks for Tamiya's kit. 

Edited by 11bee

11Bee.

I've got the 1/32 Tamiya P-51D in my stash, and my brother has 4 of them built and displayed in his display case.  Like you, I've wanted a B/C up to the same standards in 1/32 scale, and there is only a rumor Of HK actually making one. So it's vaporware until more then a CAD 3 shows up. 

Revell of Germany has been making one outstanding kit after another, and all at sensational price points. Are they as detailed as the Tamiya offering? Heck no, but they average less then $30 each compared to Tamiya's $120 plus per kit.  Just a great bang for the buck. BTW, on ebay the Tamiya P-51Ds are going for $70 or less w/o having to deal with an auction.

Joel

I'll be grabbing the big Revell D kit. I just got their 1/32 FW-190 kit and am amazed that its just $25usd!! I have their He-111, Ju-88, He-219, Tornado, Hunter, both 109's, and Spitfire and for the price you just can't go wrong.

Happy modeling!

16 hours ago, 11bee said:

Over on LSP, they have some pics and additional info on the upcoming Revell P-51D.   So far it looks like a winner.  No flaws noted, unlike most of the other large scale Revell kits.  I'm intrigued.  I know the Tamiya kit is outstanding but it's also incredibly expensive.  Even if you bulk up the Revel kit with a bunch of aftermarket, you'll still probably pay less than half of the Tamiya kit costs.  Plus, I kinda like the look of the early D models, sans the vertical stab fairing. 

If the reviews are favorable once it's released, I think I'll be purchasing one.  

first of all I have zero problems with most of the Revell 1/32 releases (newer).  Their Me262 is the best in any scale period. I'll put their FW190f8 against anybody's out there. Their BF109's are not 1/10th as bad as the fan boys like to say. I didn't buy the JU88 or HE111 kits, but know of several that did. They all loved the kits.  I knew from the get go that the fan boys would pick the Spitfire MK.II to pieces. Yet it's a near perfect MK.Va out of the box, and even with aftermarket to make it a MK.II you half the price of the others. I bought a couple of the MK.IX's and seems to be a great kit.

Fast forward to the P51 kit. The guy that designed the kit is well known to be the best out there. Roy Southerland (Barracuda aftermarket ) says the kit is fantastic. I can buy four or five of them for the price of the Tamiya! You know which way I'm going everytime.

gary

As far as the newer releases, the -109G6 is a bit rough and needed some correction sets. I understand the Spits have issues as well.  Can’t speak for the others. Still for the price, the value is definitely there.   I have higher expectations for the P-51 for the reasons you mentioned above.  Would love a late Pacific war / Korean War variant at some point. 

yeah - while the fit was decent I was not really happy with the surface details of their Spitfire II - just seemed very heavy sunken rivets on the fuselage. But as said, even with that the price point is so low compared to competitors it is more difficult to really bash the kit and not pick one up as otherwise it is pretty good. Hoping that the Mustang has more restrained riveting (so far looks good)

1 hour ago, Collin said:

Revell would print $$$$ if they produced a 1/32 F6F-3/5 with the standard of quality they are putting out today. Just sayin. 

Cheers

Collin

Collin,

Great idea. You just never know what they'll produce at their price point. They're all run-a-way big time sellers.

Joel

1 hour ago, Don said:

Yep I'd have no problems spending money on a new tool Revell Hellcat :thumbsup:

I'd rather see a Lockheed Hudson in 1/48th!!  Been waiting on that one since the first Ventura!! In 1/32, and thinking American aircraft; A Helldiver fits my needs 200%. If it were the older bi wing Helldiver, I'd be 400%!  There are so many airframes out there wanting to be kitted right now, and we see nothing but reruns. I'm really glad that we now have two companies in the Japanese Zero game. Maybe we'll actually see a Rufe and some other kits from the Japanese side of WWII. How about a Pete float plane? I'm good for two kits without a second thought. Revell kits the best JU88 in both 1/32 and 1/72 scale. There were hints of a JU188 nearly two years ago. It's time!  I run across modelers looking for the He111h6 almost weekly (1/32), what happened to them? I'm sure Revell could do a better job than Trumpeter in a Hellcat.

Fly Models did the AR234, and from what I've read it's a nice kit. Where are they? I've seen one kit! Perhaps Revell could do that one in 1/32? Do the early one that used the trolley, and the two later versions that actually flew. I'd love to see an A26 Invader, and a P63 King Cobra.

gary 

I recall the first time I ever heard about this model and saw anything on it, they had a picture with it of the Planes of Fame Museum's P-51 "Dolly", which is painted in 462nd FS colors from Iwo Jima.  From the video, it's clear there are the holes in the wings for rocket mounts, so I definitely think they will do a reboxing and maybe include either one of these VLR P-51's and/or a Korean War scheme as all.  Fingers crossed!

A Korean War or even a 1950's era+ Mustang would be great! And while we are making a wish for a Korean War/late era Mustang I wouldn't mind some markings options other then the often seen USAF Shark Mouth scheme.

Something like:

01300000240907122130026917667.jpg

45th_Tactical_Reconnaissance_Squadron_RF

18th_Fighter-Bomber_Wing_North_American_

1725636-SAAF~P-51~387~at~K-46_b.jpg

165cd7a2ed053fa31086144095ba1ca0.jpg

Or something from South America:

135_6_b1.jpg

K9_howitzer_21106H.JPG

169_7_b2.jpg

You get the idea....

Make it happen Revell!!

On 2017-09-30 at 6:51 PM, Collin said:

Revell would print $$$$ if they produced a 1/32 F6F-3/5 with the standard of quality they are putting out today. Just sayin. 

Cheers

Collin

Yup!  I'd be all over that.

as far as other 32nds, I'd love to see a Kate or a Val. 

A new tool Hellcat would be pretty cool, given that there is nothing currently out there to give it any competition.

I'd love to see a Korean War Mustang but unless I'm missing something, isn't that just a bird with the fin fillet, rocket stubs and a different antenna configuration?   Maybe just add some napalm tanks?

At first, I was thinking that there was no way this kit could compete against the Tamiya release but the more pics I see, I'm starting to think that it will.   Even if you opt for some of the aftermarket stuff mentioned above, you are still saving significant amounts of money and I, for one, have no use for the complete engine that Tamiya includes. 

3 hours ago, 11bee said:

A new tool Hellcat would be pretty cool, given that there is nothing currently out there to give it any competition.

I'd love to see a Korean War Mustang but unless I'm missing something, isn't that just a bird with the fin fillet, rocket stubs and a different antenna configuration?   Maybe just add some napalm tanks?

At first, I was thinking that there was no way this kit could compete against the Tamiya release but the more pics I see, I'm starting to think that it will.   Even if you opt for some of the aftermarket stuff mentioned above, you are still saving significant amounts of money and I, for one, have no use for the complete engine that Tamiya includes. 

11bee,

I'd buy several F6F's as I'm sure a -3 &-5 would follow, since I'm a huge Grumman fan.

Joel

yeah I would be totally on board with a new accurate F6F. At one time I contemplated trying to meld the Trumpeter kit wing to a hasegawa fuselage to try to overcome the limitations in both of those kits but it just seemed like too much work...

Mustangs used early in the Korean conflict came straight from National Guard units and thus looked similar to WWII Mustangs. Later aircraft, pulled from storage and refitted, had the changes noted above as well as cuffless Hamilton-Standard props and black cockpit.

Edited by Slartibartfast
20 hours ago, Petrov27 said:

yeah I would be totally on board with a new accurate F6F. At one time I contemplated trying to meld the Trumpeter kit wing to a hasegawa fuselage to try to overcome the limitations in both of those kits but it just seemed like too much work...

Petrov27,

Same here. I really thought hard about that kit bash, but there is still so many issues that needed to be addressed. I almost bought a full conversion for big bucks to work out those differences, but then I came to my senses as the odds of actually finishing the build at my skill level wasn't very high. 

Joel

Watching with interest the up coming new P-51 from Revell.  Looking closely at the test shots of the  tooling a late P-51D is certainly in the tooling.   I see also some areas where there might be a "B" or "C" also.  Would not be far fetched for Revell to next year announce a "B" as well as a late "D".    All this speculation about Revell doing an an F6f is interesting, but my bet is placed on an F4U or a P-47.