Physics, kites, books, and NASA

"Chelmsford author writes book about kites, physics
By Margaret Smith
Posted at 12:52 PM Updated at 1:14 PM
A book may not seem lighter than air, but author and town resident Glenn Davison has written to help illuminate physics -- and its role in flying a kite.

Davison has written many books, in fact, about kite flying, and also likes to fly them for enjoyment. Davison recently talked about his new book, about separating fact from folklore, and how science effects flights of fancy.

How did you get interested in writing about kite flying from the physics perspective?

I’ve written many books about kites including: “How to Fly a Kite,” “Kites in the Classroom,” “Building Free and Recycled Kites,” “Kite Workshop Handbook,” “Indoor Kite Flying,” and “Miniature Kites.” I was thinking about what to do next and I wanted something challenging.

I’m currently part of an Aerosystems working group and the leader of the group works for NASA. He encouraged me to write a book about “Kite Physics."

http://chelmsford.wickedlocal.com/news/20170929/chelmsford-author-writes-book-about-kites-physics

and speaking of NASA and kites ...

"Kite Index

Glenn
Research
Center

Here is a list of all the topics available from the Beginner's Guide to Kites site. Clicking on the title will deliver a page with a slide and a scientific explanation of the contents. Click on the word "Animated" for the animated version of selected pages. If the number and variety of pages seems too intimidating, consider taking one of our Guided Tours through the web site."

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/shortk.html