Thanks everyone for the info on the dental acrylic.  I don't think that is for me, but it is always cool to hear other options!  I actually bought some Bondo awhile back, but have yet to use it.  

16 hours ago, foxmulder_ms said:

This is going along nicely.. 

Thanks Fox!

Well, I got the primer and main paintwork done on this.  The MRP Eggplant Gray is a bit too dark in my opinion (Can't even see the anti-glare black paint in front of the windscreen).  So I think I will mist coat a light gray over it to tone it down a bit and to give it some faded look areas.  This should bring this more in line with the correct color lightness.

387816-16625-48.jpg

387818-16625-79.jpg

387819-16625-38.jpg

387820-16625-96.jpg

387821-16625-67.jpg

387823-16625-66.jpg

387824-16625-53.jpg

Matt, 

Great idea about asking my dentist for a little bit.  At the very least he can point me in the right direction as to where I can purchase some, and the best type for modeling.

Joel

lookin good here - really coming along nice!

Regarding super glue and X as a filler, I have been using talc (baby powder) with thick slow set superglue and have had pretty good success with it. Would like to try the dental acrylic but it looks like you need to buy a huge quantity which I am not keen on...

On 10/6/2017 at 11:44 AM, Silenoz said:

looks good though, color looks pretty accurate, but I can see the problem with the anti-glare... Is there already a gloss layer? that deepens/darkens the colors somewhat

Thanks Silenoz!

I did not have a gloss coat at that point, so that really exasperated the issue.  But I was able to get this better, which I will show in my update post.  :-)

23 hours ago, Janissary said:

Looking very good. following with interest.

Thanks Janissary!  It is good to have you here watching, I hope I am able to make it worth your time.

23 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Fighting 84,

From an application point of view, the paint looks real good. 

Joel

Thanks Joel, I appreciate that!

20 hours ago, mario krijan said:

Looks very nice 😀😀

Thank you Mario!

20 hours ago, Petrov27 said:

lookin good here - really coming along nice!

Regarding super glue and X as a filler, I have been using talc (baby powder) with thick slow set superglue and have had pretty good success with it. Would like to try the dental acrylic but it looks like you need to buy a huge quantity which I am not keen on...

Thanks Petrov, welcome to my build!

18 hours ago, Wolfgun33 said:

It's looking great!

I use the Perfect Plastic Putty but you know, I don't think I've ever had to rescribe over it.

Thanks Wolf!  Yeah, I have not either.  But then again, I try not to rescribe whenever I can.  I am just not very good at it... at all.  LOL

Well, was able to tone down the Eggplant some, and I painted the anti-glare area Tamiya gloss black for better contrast, I previously used Rubber Black, which I use for black usually as it is more realistic in my opinion. 

I went a little too far on my mist coat of light gray, so I went back in with more eggplant gray, and while doing that I tried to give the paint some tonal variance to show some wear and fading. I may go back in with some more eggplant to tone it down further.  But overall I am happy with the appearance now.

I also finished painting all the gray panels and whatnot. I will add the gloss coat in preparation of decals tomorrow, and work on the missiles and landing gear.

388008-16625-12.jpg

388007-16625-35.jpg

388006-16625-18.jpg

388005-16625-51.jpg

Edited by Fighting Eighty-Four

Thanks Mario!  I really think the overall shape is quite good on this kit, and the details are fantastic.  Builds nicely too. As far as detail accuracy is concerned, I am not sure as I am no expert.  I have heard there are some canopy shape issues, as well as the engine humps being to pronounced, but it is not something I notice at all.

Also, I went back in and edited my last post, I accidentally posted the same image twice.  So I removed the duplicate picture and posted the missing one.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 12:27 PM, Joel_W said:

F84,

Lookin' real good. The Anti glare panel stands our just fine now.

Joel

Thanks Joel!  Changing the paint from Rubber Black to Gloss Black made a big difference as well.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 12:32 PM, ScientisT.bass said:

I think the color is a great match. 

Thank you very much!

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:35 PM, Falconxlvi said:

That’s a mean looking jet!  Great job thus far 👍🏻

Steve

Thanks Steve!  I just love Flankers, and the Su-35 in this scheme really has a sinister presence to it.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 7:14 PM, Peterpools said:

Super smooth air brush work - MRP paint looks fantastic

Keep 'em coming :thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks Peter!  MRP is the smoothest spraying paint I have ever used.  Just load it in the AB and spray.  Easy peasy, no ratios to worry about.  Now, granted, they are not cheap, and being pre-thinned they are even less of a bargain... but you can't put a price on ease of use IMHO.  (I do still love Gunze Aqueous, and use it often as well)

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 7:52 AM, CaptainObvious said:

What a beautiful plane.

Paint looks good. Loving this WIP.

Thanks Cap!  She sure is an elegant aircraft.

12 hours ago, speedlimit said:

I think The Flanker is one of the sexiest fighter jet and you made it stand out a little bit more with this paint scheme. Well done. Cant wait for more WIP.

Thanks speed!  I agree, it is my 2nd favorite aircraft, after the F-14.  But where the F-14 is brutish and somewhat unwieldy looking from certain angles, the Flanker is elegant from every angle.

So I added the gloss coat and started working on the decals.  I am using a mix of OOB decals and Begemot Su-35 Next Generation Flanker decals, but mostly using the Begemot ones.  The colored OOB stencils have ZERO opacity, so when I applied red or yellow stencils they just disappeared into the dark paint.  Luckily the Begemot stencils are much better. 

Had a huge issue with the square red dashed "box" decal that goes on the upper fuselage.  Tried kit ones first, but they rolled and curled all over the place, and since they had no opacity the red just disappeared.  I was going to use the Begemot ones, but the dashed lines were not consistent with what I was seeing in my reference pics (maybe they are correct for the blue camo scheme).  So I used some leftover decals from an Eduard Su-27 kit.  Hopefully these look ok today, was kinda scary looking last night with wrinkles.  I will never get used to that wrinkling, even though most of the time they turn out just fine the next day.  LOL

Still got all upper and underside stencils left to do.  Will probably take me a couple days to finish these.

For now I only have one pic, since I really have only done the sides so far...

388717-16625-74.jpg

I did much of the metalwork this weekend,  and I did document some of it.  But I was in the zone going from color to color so I did miss taking some pics of some of the steps.  But I will try to mention what I did that I may have missed taking pictures of.

First, I masked off the underside areas to painted in metal.  I then painted a portion of the metal area on the underside in Mr Color Surfacer 1500 Black primer.  After that dried, I masked the painted part off and sprayed the rest of the underside metal area Gunze GX2 Ueno Gloss Black.  The reason I did this is that in pics there is a definite dull silver area and higher luster metal area, so I wanted to replicate that as best I could.  So when I sprayed the airframe aluminum over the whole area, the silver was more or less lustrous depending on whether the black underneath was glossy or more matte.

391215-16625-53.jpg

391216-16625-20.jpg

391219-16625-81.jpg

391220-16625-43.jpg

391224-16625-66.jpg

Next up was the upper side, which is all high luster metal, so this was a little less complicated.  But masking this part was a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ARSE!!!  The kit is engineered in such a way that you pretty much have to attach the vertical tails during assembly, so that made getting in there to mask really tough.  The little vents and whatnot in there also didn't help.  Also, getting in there with the airbrush to paint all the nooks and crannies was also a nearly impossible task. 

391221-16625-65.jpg

391222-16625-78.jpg

Also painted the nozzles gloss black and sprayed them with Alclad Airframe Aluminum, as well as the horizontal stabilizers and the gun area and random vents...

391217-16625-19.jpg

391218-16625-90.jpg

391223-16625-83.jpg

391225-16625-55.jpg

After the airframe aluminum had been laid down, the next step was to add Alclad Gold Titanium and Tamiya Clear Yellow to begin the heat -stressing effects...

391514-16625-49.jpg

391515-16625-66.jpg

Next up was to add some Tamiya Clear Blue.  I have found I like using this better than Alclad Hot Metal Blue.

391516-16625-77.jpg

391517-16625-10.jpg

391518-16625-79.jpg

After the Clear Blue I added Alclad Hot Metal Violet, Tamiya Smoke, and heavily thinned Alclad Jet Exhaust.  This is where I was in a groove and neglected to take pics.  But here is how it looked when I was done...  (I still think I will go back in and tweak it a little bit.  The colors might be a bit too pronounced still.

391519-16625-91.jpg

391520-16625-13.jpg

391521-16625-82.jpg

391522-16625-75.jpg

391523-16625-40.jpg

391524-16625-76.jpg

391525-16625-54.jpg

And this is where I am right now...  Still have a couple random panels and areas that I need to paint bare metal.