Outstanding results from a really complex  set of metalizing procedures. I do think that a slight blending coat would help to soften and make one metal tone further blend into the others. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is certainly the most difficult thing to accomplish to attain that truly realistic look which one rarely sees on model jet exhausts. 

Joel

Edited by Joel_W
On 10/16/2017 at 11:20 AM, Joel_W said:

Outstanding results from a really complex  set of metalizing procedures. I do think that a slight blending coat would help to soften and make one metal tone further blend into the others. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is certainly the most difficult thing to accomplish to attain that truly realistic look which one rarely sees on model jet exhausts. 

Joel

Thanks Joel!

Exhaust metalwork is one of my favorite things to do, and I like to experiment with different techniques and media to replicate it as closely as possible, with some artistic license thrown in there for fun. :-)

On 10/16/2017 at 11:51 AM, Silenoz said:

looks good, very good. Thx for taking the time to explain the process. Did you use white for the inside of the outer burner cans and did you leave the deeper part black? Or did you also paint these in basecolor aluminium?

Thanks  Silenoz!  I used white for the inside of the nozzles, and the deeper part is gloss black with some airframe aluminum misted in to give it a gunmetal appearance, but not uniform, some areas are more silver than others.  It can't be seen at all with the vectored nozzles, so I did not spend much time on that part to be honest.

On 10/16/2017 at 4:08 PM, swimmer25k said:

Outstanding work.  

Chris

Thanks Chris!

On 10/16/2017 at 4:10 PM, CaptainObvious said:

Thanks for taking the time and effort to show the step by step.

Much appreciated.

Really great progress.

Thanks Cap!  And you are welcome, I hope this helps someone out!

On 10/16/2017 at 7:56 PM, caudleryan said:

Some people just have a natural talent for this kind of stuff. Perfectly executed! And here I am struggling to get a flippin' cockpit built and painted! My hat off to you sir. Love what it looks like so far!

Thanks Ryan!  I really appreciate the kind words, that is a wonderful compliment.  For some reason, metalwork does seem to come naturally to me.  So there is something to that...

On 10/21/2017 at 8:25 AM, Peterpools said:

Totally blown away:thumbsup:

iIncredible air brush work on the exhaust burnt NMF; taking heavy notes for future builds!

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Man, thanks Peter!  I am humbled by your kind words!  If you ever have any questions concerning metalwork techniques, just let me know... I will be glad to offer any tips or techniques I use.

Well, I made lots of little progress over the last week, lots of little things that add up to major progress...

I now have her on her feet, wash and satin coat complete.  I ran into some issues with the final coat.  I tried using my normal future/Tamiya flat base combo (6:1 ratio) and it frosted over like crazy!  This is the first time this has happened to me.  I feel it must have something to do with the dark color of the Eggplant Gray.  So I put in some Mr Paint Matte varnish, and it did the same thing!  I guess this color really does not like matte coats.  LOL  So what I ended up having to do is mix up a new Future/Tamiya flat batch, this time a 10:1 ratio of Future to flat.  I also thinned it some more as well.  This worked, and gave it a nice satin finish that I rather like. 

Anyway, here is where I am now... Up next is missile detailing!

393564-16625-48.jpg

393563-16625-75.jpg

393565-16625-75.jpg

393566-16625-31.jpg

393567-16625-16.jpg

393562-16625-77.jpg

393561-16625-12.jpg

Absolutely will be taking you up on the metal work offer down the road. 

Nice recovery on the semi flat finish problem, as I am very courious as to why the paint reacted with the clear finish in such a strange way. Final semi flat coat looks smooth and oh so good.

Keep ‘em coming

Peter:thumbsup:

19 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Absolutely will be taking you up on the metal work offer down the road. 

Nice recovery on the semi flat finish problem, as I am very courious as to why the paint reacted with the clear finish in such a strange way. Final semi flat coat looks smooth and oh so good.

Keep ‘em coming

Peter:thumbsup:

Thanks Peter!  I am very happy with how it turned out.  After my first two tries with two very different varnishes failed I was not sure I was going to ever get it right LOL.

16 hours ago, Joel_W said:

What a strange problem with your clear mix. I really don't understand how the paint could have anything to do with it as it's dried and cured.  Any chance that it was a contamination issue?

Joel

Strange indeed!  I don't think it is any kind of reaction or anything, but more along the lines of the color.  I know it was not contamination, because after the MRP frosted on the eggplant, I decided to try the underside.  It went just fine.  So after I sprayed the entire underside I tried the topside again, and once again to frosted anywhere I sprayed.  So that rules out contamination.  I also made sure I had the air pressure at the lowest possible amount to allow it to spray nicely.  I made sure I did not spray too far away from the model either.

I really don't know what happened.

10 hours ago, Scooby said:

Very nice.

Thanks Scoob!

On 2017. 10. 01. at 7:35 PM, Fighting Eighty-Four said:

One thing, I wasn't sure which way to attach the nosecone.  I couldn't tell which side was up or down, there was no real way to tell.  It could go either way.  I did not install the radar,  so there may be a piece there that gives positive attachment points. 

Hi Michael,

I know you are well over this by now, but it could be of help to others. I don’t have the KH kit, can speak only for the real aircraft, on how it is there.

The positioning of the noseconet is very simple:

the Russians have made the nose cone with some asymmetric designs. The lightning strips on it (which are exactly the same type as you will find on an F-16) are almost at random. Well to be more precise the top 2 strips are offset further down the side of the cone. The top strip (along the centre line) and the first strip next to it (on both sides) have a much bigger spacing than the ones around the bottom. So the gap between the 1st and 2nd strip is more narrow to “compensate” for the wider top gap. The spacing between the other lightning strips is about the same.

So in positioning the nose cone the right way up is to look for the wider spacing between the two strips on top next to the centre line long strip which goes almost all the way to the nose tip. It is easy!

Best regards

Gabor

On 10/24/2017 at 3:36 PM, ya-gabor said:

Hi Michael,

I know you are well over this by now, but it could be of help to others. I don’t have the KH kit, can speak only for the real aircraft, on how it is there.

The positioning of the noseconet is very simple:

the Russians have made the nose cone with some asymmetric designs. The lightning strips on it (which are exactly the same type as you will find on an F-16) are almost at random. Well to be more precise the top 2 strips are offset further down the side of the cone. The top strip (along the centre line) and the first strip next to it (on both sides) have a much bigger spacing than the ones around the bottom. So the gap between the 1st and 2nd strip is more narrow to “compensate” for the wider top gap. The spacing between the other lightning strips is about the same.

So in positioning the nose cone the right way up is to look for the wider spacing between the two strips on top next to the centre line long strip which goes almost all the way to the nose tip. It is easy!

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks for the tips Gabor, hopefully it helps someone who sees this figure out how to attach the nose on this kit without frustration like me.  LOL

I really am fond of that eggplant paint

I remember the Mr paint being very sensitive to the kind of varnish brand you use. it might not be specific only to that eggplant color

I used X22 without issue on them but i never tried future

in any way. real nice Su35. great work and very inspirational

On 10/27/2017 at 6:04 AM, Red Dog said:

I really am fond of that eggplant paint

I remember the Mr paint being very sensitive to the kind of varnish brand you use. it might not be specific only to that eggplant color

I used X22 without issue on them but i never tried future

in any way. real nice Su35. great work and very inspirational

Thanks Red!  Yeah, it might have been the paint, although I did not have the problem with the other Mr Paint colors I have used so far, but I have not used any Mr Paint colors this dark before, so maybe the others had frosting too, but I just didn't notice it before because the colors were so light or such a small area.

18 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Michael

Awesome work on the missiles 0 lloking mighty good

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter!  I am quite happy with the missiles, particularly the Krytons.  They turned out very nice especially the weathered metal aeas.

Michael,

I'm really impressed with those missiles,. Once can clearly see the effort needed to produce them with all that painting and stenciling. You certainly have a great eye and super steady hands. the last tail end Charlie pic really looks outstanding,. Just a super build from start to finish.

Joel

16 hours ago, Red Dog said:

And a teaser it is. Love that engine and colours variations !!

Thanks Red!  That was really fun to do.  Not too many subjects allow you to get wild with color like that!

8 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Michael,

I'm really impressed with those missiles,. Once can clearly see the effort needed to produce them with all that painting and stenciling. You certainly have a great eye and super steady hands. the last tail end Charlie pic really looks outstanding,. Just a super build from start to finish.

Joel

Thanks so much for the kind words Joel!  I am lucky to be blessed with a steady hand, and it seems to be getting better with practice. 

Michael 

I've got one decaling question. I've had issues with decals like the ones on the top of the wings that are a red line box with mostly clear decal film.  I've gone to cutting them up into parts and trimming as much clear as I can. Yours looks perfect. Are they one decal, or sections?

Joel