Are Trumpeter 1/72 335 gallons tanks from their F-100 series accurate?

Or they also got stretched?

They seems more cheap than scavenging an Esci/AMT kit from colletor's hand so I was wondering if at least drop tanks,pylons and other dibs minus the fuselage are fine

Thanks for looking

Luigi

The tanks are right on. Bad things in the Trump kits are nose, fuse width and cockpit width (including canopy) and the wheels are just silly. I did two articles over on Britmodeler.com that show how to correct the problems and work them into good kits, but you're still gonna need an Esci nose!

F-100C http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235016447-the-best-172-scale-f-100c-i-can-build/

F-100F Wild Weasel http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235021913-whacked-out-wild-weasel-172-f-100f/&

That being said, the kits build into  nice models, just not accurate models.

Ed

The tanks are the shorter 275-gal version, and are the correct length for those. For the 335-gal tanks that started appearing around 1964, they are easily modified by adding a 28" (scale) plug at the panel line at the leading edge of the pylon. That's how they modified the real tanks.

The Trumpeter 1/72 kits would be a good source for slats for the ESCI/AMT/Revell kits, but that's about it.

Ben

Crap I was sure they had the 335 gallons tanks in their box as the ones of the now sold F-100C looked bigger than the Italeri rendition,guess I have to scavenge for both and also take the Italeri kit back,or follow Ed's excellent piece of work and go postal.

Probably is way too much for my F-100 Windhover idea but I don't care :P

Thanks so much ^^

Luigi

Hi all,

Ben Brown is dead right! I must have had a brain melt-down!  The Trumpeter tanks in all 3 of their F-100 kits are the 275 gallon:

2v2uD8NVdxfzdhW.jpg

Laid over the D&S plans, here it is, along with my 450 gallon ferry tanks. It's easy to make the 335 gallon tanks, however. I found that this tank:

2v2uD8NCLxfzdhW.jpg

from the spares box just fills the bill. IIRC it was from an Italieri RF-84 Thunderflash kit, binned long ago. Turns out that the diameter is within .001" or so of the Trumpeter kit's tank size, so after sawing off the fins and pylon, the center section provides enough correct and constant-diameter tank body to modify 3 Trumpeter tanks, if you need that many.

Just saw apart the Trump tank at the red arrow (center of three lines there), the chop the Italieri tank into three scale 28" chunks (that's 10mm in real life), et voila!

2v2uD8NhCxfzdhW.jpg

Thanks for bringing this up, Ben. Now I gotta go back and put these corrected 335 gallon tanks on my F-100F! I a (ow-and-then) working on the Trump "D", which will have the 450 gallon ferry tanks.

Ed

PS: The Fujimi A-7 kits have the correct diameter also, but you'd have to chop up one for each modded Trump tank...

Edited by TheRealMrEd
typo

I think the only 335s included in any kit were some in the terrible 1/48 ESCI F-100D kit. It is surprising Monogram didn't, since their F-100D represents a late-life aircraft. 

I like that 450-gal tank! Is it a resin aftermarket part? For folks who want an alternative, you could also use a set from an F-101, and add some fins and pylons from styrene. 

And, since we're on the subject of 1/72 F-100 drop tanks, the Hasegawa F-100D kit includes a set of the 200-gal banana tanks carried on the inboard pylons. 

Cheers!

Ben

48 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

...  you could also use a set from an F-101, and add some fins and pylons from styrene. 

Good info, as usual, Ben. Thanks.

Gene K

P.S. I like your Profile picture ... memories of Chicago?

I said 3 kits cause

Either Esci F-100D and AMT F-100F comes with 335 tanks cept the one with Turkey AF and France AF decals

One Trumpeter for extra bits

Either Italeri F-100F or F-100D as I'm unsure which one to make.

I once had everything needed,but sold the F-100F with Esci tanks and also sold Trumpeter C and Italeri D,so if anything I just need one F-100 and I have a load of Fujimi A-7 and A-4 Fuel drop tanks as I'm planning to use Arma Hobby ones instead

Luigi

Edited by Mizar

Hi all,

Ben is right, the Revellogram F-101C kit has exactly the correct diameter and length tanks for making the 450-gallon variety  F-100 tank. However, the Hasegawa tanlks are too small in diameter (can't speak to the Valom ones-- don't have it). However, for the purists among you, be aware that the Revellogram tank features a straight taper in the rear, but the real tank has an ogive curve (think olive!) taper at the rear end.

2v2u4bkYJxfzdhW.jpg

Only the die-hards would notice, but just saying.

Actually the 450 gallon tank I show above is the master for some resin copies. I built it up from other components, before I discovered the R/M tank. Since I did have to fill and sand the rear end of mine anyway, I would probably go the R/M route, if I was starting over.

Also, Ben, thanks for pointing out where the banana tanks were located. I knew I'd seen 'em, but couldn't remember where!

9 hours ago, Gene K said:

P.S. I like your Profile picture ... memories of Chicago?

Memories of RDU. I got on with them in 1998, after they moved to Raleigh, and went down with the ship when they went under in 2003. Best job I ever had. :crying2:

Mr Ed, good catch on the shape of the Monogram 450s. I never noticed that! Their 1/48 tanks have the straight taper, too.

Luigi, I'm not familiar with the Arma tanks. I don't keep up with the 1/72 kits and aftermarket as well as I should.   

Ben

Just for completeness, here are the Esci  335 gallon (top) and Italeri 275 gallon (bottom) 1/72 tanks. The Italeri tanks are slightly fatter, 9.5 mm diameter instead of 8.9 mm, or a 14% larger cross-section area (which is what you see).

f100-25.jpg

Rob

Hi all,

Sorry Luigi, looks like we've hi-jacked your thread, but I think it's all good for everyone in this case!

Thanks Jari and Rob, for the additional input. In that same spirit of completeness, please be advised that the strike camera (K-18?) can be found on the Fujimi A-7A kit as part #25. (It may be on all the A-7 Fujimi kits, not sure.) Also, the Academy A-37B Dragonfly has one molded on to the bottom, that you can make a silicone putty mold from, very easily.

2v2u4AGZgxfzdhW.jpg

(Photo shamelessly cropped from someone else's pic....)

Ed

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just mucking about considering the Matchbox F-101 Voodoo kit for actual building, and I discovered that the tanks in their kit are bang on for the 450-gal.  ferry tanks discussed above (1/72 of course)! The only small problem are 1) the rear tips ends are too blunt and would need to be sanded to a finer point, and 2) the re-enforcement strip along the bottom would have to be added. It has the correct curve at the back end.

FWIW...

Ed

• 3 weeks later...