1/48 scale Eduard Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat Update 11/14/17

5 hours ago, JesusNut said:

Joel, that engine looks fantastic.  I think you nailed that blue-gray on the crank case.  Thanks for sharing your formula for that.  

Tom, 

Thanks for stopping by, it's always appreciated. The blue gray color was a challenge for sure. I've got close to a dozen color pictures of restorations and the color varies all over the place. So I just kind of winged it going for the middle ground.  

Joel

Work continued on the P&W R2800-10 Wasp engine with the addition of the duel spark plug wires for each of the cylinders on both banks. Took a good 10 days to complete the process. I used .4mm round lead wire as I found it much easier to work with then Copper wire, but you need to reshape each wire after gluing it in place as it's really easy to kink them.

WlAA5l.jpg

Then is glued it to the engine mount in the F6F-3.

Bu7W49.jpg

Next came the dry fitting of the engine cowl

5RCIrB.jpg

And finally I stepped back and took a look. Damn, it finally is starting to look like a -3 Hellcat.

uyU6sD.jpg

Now I can hear all the murmuring about the weird color wires, and what gives with that. I use to paint the USN WWII ignition wires a Brownish/Red, almost a hull red, but once I started to take a look at several restorations and a few pre-restored engines, it became apparent that I had the color all wrong. Here's an unrestored engine

GYnGPu.jpg

and here are a few restored engines.

AR6SUD.jpg

b10S4j.jpg

and one close up

s7ZyNC.jpg

It looks to me that all are a metal jacket type wire that seems to be a dirty Yellowish coating. So I decided to go with a yellow/brown, and that's the color that you see. What I haven't done as yet is apply a dark brown/black wash to dirty them up some. That comes next with some dry brushing of the crankcase.

So what do you all think? Am I on the right track or totally off base? What if I mixed the original color with some aluminum to make it less intense?

I was also a little disappointed that none of the gas equalizers that I made can be seen unless you really get up close and personal with the front of the cowl. Totally my fault as I should have checked it 1st.

Joel

Nice wire work.

A metallic "bronzie" yellow is what I try to aim for (no idea what formula it could be...I just make it up as I go).  Hitting those yellow lines with some grime/washes will get them back to normalcy with the rest of the engine. 

Cheers

Collin

Joel, this is really awesome.  I agree with Collin that a wash will take care of the "starkness" of the yellow.  My initial impression was that they were too yellow, but your reasoning seems sound and the pictures you have of the restored engine show what you were trying to achieve.  I look forward to the dirtying.

Nice job on the ignition wires Joel.  I appreciate the explanation of what type of wire you used.  I think it compares very well with the restored engines.  Your wash will enhance them also.  I look forward to the next installment of pictures.

Tom

20 hours ago, Collin said:

Nice wire work.

A metallic "bronzie" yellow is what I try to aim for (no idea what formula it could be...I just make it up as I go).  Hitting those yellow lines with some grime/washes will get them back to normalcy with the rest of the engine. 

Cheers

Collin

Collin,

that's the game plan after living with the color weathered for a few days. 

Joel

19 hours ago, JesusNut said:

Joel, this is really awesome.  I agree with Collin that a wash will take care of the "starkness" of the yellow.  My initial impression was that they were too yellow, but your reasoning seems sound and the pictures you have of the restored engine show what you were trying to achieve.  I look forward to the dirtying.

JN, 

So glad that you like how the P&W Wasp is turning out.  As I replied to Collin, I'm going to go with the blackish wash and will post a few pics when done. Will also dry brush and add the wash to the crankcase cover.

Joel

18 hours ago, Tom G said:

Nice job on the ignition wires Joel.  I appreciate the explanation of what type of wire you used.  I think it compares very well with the restored engines.  Your wash will enhance them also.  I look forward to the next installment of pictures.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for your most positive comments. It' always much appreciated. Pics up in a day or so with the finished engine.

Joel

Not much modeling this week due to it being insane at work, and a busy time at home. About the only thing I've accomplished is the dirty wash on the ignition wiring. While not perfect, I think it's an improvement and good enough.

Joel

Before

WlAA5l.jpg

After

E1pPmk.jpg

mbWZm0.jpg

On 2017/12/19 at 3:04 AM, Joel_W said:

I was also a little disappointed that none of the gas equalizers that I made can be seen unless you really get up close and personal with the front of the cowl. Totally my fault as I should have checked it 1st.

IMHO,sir ,taking a very close look at a model work and enjoying what you find  would be one of the best experience.

Feng

Joel, that wash did the trick my friend.  This is looking great.  I have realized that a bunch of the stuff I have done on interiors are way overboard and will never be seen by anyone in person, but I know it is there, and I take pictures of it before I close it up, so other people know its there also.  I would have to say that very few people will ever see the model in person, and of those that will, they just will not have the excitement and joy of what they are looking at as I do when I see it.  Of course, I realize you have probably figured this out already and I am not telling you anything new.  Haha!  I, for one, appreciate all the intricate detail I see other modelers insert into their builds and hope to one day replicate it.  Keep on keeping on brother!

8 hours ago, JesusNut said:

Joel, that wash did the trick my friend.  This is looking great.  I have realized that a bunch of the stuff I have done on interiors are way overboard and will never be seen by anyone in person, but I know it is there, and I take pictures of it before I close it up, so other people know its there also.  I would have to say that very few people will ever see the model in person, and of those that will, they just will not have the excitement and joy of what they are looking at as I do when I see it.  Of course, I realize you have probably figured this out already and I am not telling you anything new.  Haha!  I, for one, appreciate all the intricate detail I see other modelers insert into their builds and hope to one day replicate it.  Keep on keeping on brother!

Tom,

Yep, I'm with you on the effectiveness of the wash.  No work for a few more days as the holidays  and hand issues from the dry weather is making modeling a real painful experience right now. 

My personal philosophy about modeling is that I model for myself,  not others. Those who see my work either online or in person at the one or two conventions/contests that I'm now getting back into per year, offers me the opportunity to share my work. You'd be surprised at the details some of these modelers look for, and how they all generally appreciate a well displayed and built model as their goals are basically the same as ours. In many cases some have also built the same kit and understand 1st hand what we did, what we added, and just as importantly why we did  it. just makes the whole process that much more personal and fun.

Joel

10 hours ago, egg2012 said:

IMHO,sir ,taking a very close look at a model work and enjoying what you find  would be one of the best experience.

Feng

Feng,

Thank you for your most positive comment. It's much appreciated.

Joel

1 hour ago, Tom G said:

Nicely done engine Joel.  The wash toned down the ignition wires and gave a bit of dirt/grime to the rest of the engine.  Thanks for posting the pictures.  They are inspiring.

Tom

Tom,

Glad that you liked my efforts. It means quite a lot to me.

Joel

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had a whole of time for modeling these past few weeks, but I've still managed to trudge along little by little towards that elusive finish line.

Up next on my list is the main landing gear, which has the scissor links in two separate pcs. Not sure why they this was necessary as the more complex strut itself is one piece. I cleaned up the parts and glued the well door to the strut prior to painting. Unfortunately, I totally forgot to take the before pictures, so here's the strut assemblies already primed with Mig Ammo Flat Black acrylic primer.
04tMfm.jpg

And the Brassin wheels with the outer hub dry fitted
IsdJUD.jpg

As well as the prop

WJfXig.jpg

Next was painting them with Mig-047 Satin White, their color for FS37875 thinned 2 to 3 with Tamiya Yellow Cap Lacquer thinner.
93p3xS.jpg

the prop tips were painted Mig-048 yellow, the Hub Testors Steel, and the hub cap Mig-228 ANA 608 FS35164 Intermediate Blue

ZQQuGl.jpg

All the decals were given two coats of Tamiya X-22 gloss so that the weathering process can finally start.

Happy Holidays to all of my friends on ARC, and may each of you have a fantastic New Years.

Joel