1/48 scale Eduard Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat Update 11/14/17

17 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Hey Joel,

Outstanding effort! Love the smooth finish.

dnl2,

Thanks so much for posting such a glowing comment. I really appreciate it. It's all comments that make it worth while for me to continue to post my build blogs to share with you guys. 

Joel 

15 hours ago, Joel_W said:

The black line seems to be a reference marker for crew and maint personnel to use what I believe is a spring loaded door for a foot support to help them get on to the wing. Why someone at Grumman's decided it was needed is beyond me.  It was carried over to the F6F-5 all Glossy Sea Blue scheme as a white line. 

Joel

Great info Joel.  As I have not built one of these yet, I guess I had not looked close enough at reference photos.  When I first saw it, I thought it was some kind of weathering, but then I realized it was too straight and proper to be that.  Then I saw it on the opposite side and knew it wasn't for sure.  Again, just an awesome build and I look forward to following your F-86 build.

14 hours ago, JesusNut said:

Great info Joel.  As I have not built one of these yet, I guess I had not looked close enough at reference photos.  When I first saw it, I thought it was some kind of weathering, but then I realized it was too straight and proper to be that.  Then I saw it on the opposite side and knew it wasn't for sure.  Again, just an awesome build and I look forward to following your F-86 build.

Tom,

I just started the F-86F, and hope to have enough done in the cockpit for an update this weekend. but Football just might interfere with those plans come Sunday

The ChopperMan

9 hours ago, Tom G said:

Superb model Joel!  It really turned out nice.  I have enjoyed watching this build and learned some things.  Thank you.

Good luck at the contest with it!

Tom

Tom G,

Thank so much for those most kind words. Glad that I was able to share with you some techniques that you can use down the road.  Honestly, I'm not looking to place with any of my entries, just want to see how I measure up the current standards where every build is on the table.

Joel

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:55 PM, Collin said:

“Now hear this, now hear this...pilots man your aircraft...pilots man your aircraft.”

Excellent Hellcat, ready to take on all comers in the display case. 

Cheers

Collin 

Collin,

Thanks so much my friend for those most kind words. 

Joel

15 hours ago, egg2012 said:

Congratulations! The tri-color paint is great .It's one scheme  I must do in the future .I really enjoyed the post,you shared many things in it.

Egg2012,

Thank you so much for appreciating my efforts. The tri color scheme really isn't any harder to do then a bi-color scheme. If I can do it, so can you.

Joel

Ehi Joel,

maybe I missed it,but which panel wash you used for the darker part of the camo?

If you check my Mystere build in this same page,I've some problem to sort out a convincing wash tone for the blue of the camo,any help will be precious!

Cheers,

Gianni

9 hours ago, kurnass77 said:

Ehi Joel,

maybe I missed it,but which panel wash you used for the darker part of the camo?

If you check my Mystere build in this same page,I've some problem to sort out a convincing wash tone for the blue of the camo,any help will be precious!

Cheers,

Gianni

Gianni,

I used Tamiya's Black panel wash for all the recessed lines. The weathering  effect on the Dark Sea Blue was enough so that the panel line wash showed up. In fact in a few pictures they showed up to well.

Joel

5 hours ago, kurnass77 said:

Thanks mate,honestly I'll use the black wash only for the control surfaces,maybe I'll try with a wash of black and Prussian blue...

Cheers,

Gianni

Gianni,

I've tried black for the flying surfaces, and a mix of gray/black for everything else, but honestly, the panel lines in 1/48s scale yield a completely differently different look then the separation of the flying surfaces. 

Joel

6 hours ago, CaptainObvious said:

I'm a little late to the party but she turned out great!
:thumbsup:

Captain Obvious,

You're  never to late to the party. Thanks so much for your most positive words. They're most appreciated.

Joel