HB 1/48 F-14A Tomcat: Update: 11/25/17: MAKING PROGRESS

Thanks Steve for the very kind words on my Tomcat. Holy Smokes, the canopy jettison handle for the pilots IP has been stolen by the carpet monster - Thanks for pointing it out and it's now on my list of details that need to be added. I'm going to add it now, so I don't forget or box myself out from adding it later on.:cheers:

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Update: 10/20/17 Vacation

Not really an update but my wife Diane and I have been on vacation the past week or so in beautiful Bar Harbor, Maine and Acadia National Park - a photographers paradise.

I'll be posting an update in a day or so,  as some work was completed before we left for Maine.

Peter. :thumbsup:

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:40 AM, Peterpools said:

Update: 10/20/17 Vacation

Not really an update but my wife Diane and I have been on vacation the past week or so in beautiful Bar Harbor, Maine and Acadia National Park - a photographers paradise.

I'll be posting an update in a day or so,  as some work was completed before we left for Maine.

Peter. :thumbsup:

Bro,

Welcome back to civilization. Now get back to the bench and get that update posted.

Joel

JA

I need a vacation and rest after vacation.

Great time and was on the go what felt like 24/7 everyday: up way before sunrise and always back after sunset. Photographers rules

Bro

Edited by Peterpools

Peter,

:wave:.  WOW....  And you chose MY favorite TOMCAT to start your 1:48scale build ..:thumbsup:

just gone through your build , and Sir, your Cockpit et al is looking EXEMPLARY.

Detailing is SUPERB. :worship:

looking forward to following  your builds.

and WELCOME to ARC, and  to you too Joel.

nice to see you here.:worship:

8 hours ago, Big Kev said:

Ah, so this is where you two disappeared to.

Kev

Kev,

For me, this is where I was before LSP. I came back as my move to 1/32 scale turned out not to be what I had envisioned, so I went back to 1/48 where I'm much  happier and a lot more comfortable.  

Joel

I was wondering where you two disappeared to!  However, I can understand your desire to build something smaller than 1/32 scale.  As you know, the jets in 1/32 are HUGE and they take a long time to build properly. I'm 20 months into my F-15C build and still not finished.  I can't say the same about most of the props, because unless they are big bombers, they are already small enough for my failing eyesight.

As you know, ARC is a terrific forum and I spent many years here, but with my focus on just military aircraft and just 1/32 scale, LSP turned out to be a better home for me right now.  That could change in the future!

Good luck Peter and Joel,

Chuck

Chuck,

I'm truly humbled that you took the time to look up and wish Pete and I  good luck since we moved on from LSP. ARC was my home for quite a while before the change of scales and move to LSP. It just didn't turn out as I expected and hoped that it would.  I do need to get my butt over to LSP and checkout your build and a few other friends work. 

Joel

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:11/11/17: FINALLY BACK AT THE BENCH

Progress had been mighty slow as bench time had also been scarce and very infrequent: Our awesome yearly vacation to bar harbor.Acadia, Maine and then catching up at work.The forward cockpit fuselage assembly assembly has been finally glued together and no real issues to deal with. What did take some time was working all the Aires resin detail parts in place so everything would fit. A bit of slicing and dicing, lots of test fitting and trimming: the resin parts settled into place. While I still need to work on the upper cockpit sills and remove the small gap, add the few PE parts that came loose and fed the carpet monster, I wanted to move on and would return to it later on. I needed to feel I was making progress and not stuck in the mud, spinning my wheels.

The main wings sections were built up as per the instructions; the leading edges had some nice gaps that had to be filled as well as the area around each slat bracket. While the gaps are taken care of, some lost detail needs to be restored at the wing tips and quite a bit of Eduard PE from the Exterior set needs to be also added.

The intake ramps were assembled and glued into place and the entire front intake assembly airbrushed gloss white. Of course, it's going to be a trick to glue everything together without messing up the paint work! The rear portion of the intake assemblies were glued up as well, and the seams sanded and then any remaining seams filled in with Bondo – more sanding and polishing to come.

The main gear wells were assembled from numerous parts and some tinkering was needed to get everything to fit, then air brushed gloss white as well. I decided to leave the gear off until later, hoping to make painting a lot easier done the road. I hope I'm not boxing myself into a corner but this does seem a more logical approach then HB's assembly sequence.

Almost nothing of the engines will be seen, so what will be hidden, will be used only as supports for the intake compressor assemblies and the exhausts – just can't see wasting time building on them. Eduard intake compressor PE has been fitted to the front compressor blade assembly but nothing is glued in place yet. Each vain of PE needed to be bent to shape and they look just awesome, way better then the kit parts and will only be seen if your looking directly into the intakes. The rear exhaust assemblies are completely being replaced with the gorgeous Aires set, now cut free from their casting blocks, sanded and ready for priming. Here gain some Aires PE is used to add to the wonderful details.

I know this doesn't seem like a lot of work but it did take a lot of time and hopefully I'll be making much better progress from here on in.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

AJWc5E.jpg

HWYtIw.jpg

uBdPvM.jpg

QAnSBz.jpg

SUlOUw.jpg

Bro,

About time you got back to the bench after a whole week in Maine. Your big cat is really making some nice progress. The pit looks great, and I really like those seats with the belts and harnesses. I'm really impresses with those intake fans. The PE really kicks them up more then a few notches. 

Joel

Bro,

I'm always waiting for the email that you managed to glue your fingers together once again. 

As I told you, I'm going with the Tamiya 1/48 F-14A and some goodies, but I'm still not sure what way to go with the decals. 

Bro #1 

Don't short change yourself Peter, there's a ton of time and effort into what you've done so far. Everything looks really good so far as well. Remember, even the smallest step forward is still progress. Keep up the great work.

Steve

"TOMCAT'S FOREVER, BABY!"