Since I actually managed to finish a model for a group build I'm going to go all in and try another one!

I'm intending to do a legit OOB build of this. I'll even paint the little dude and put him in the cockpit.

I'll see if I can keep the AMS muzzled. That canopy though...

vMk9Oge.jpg

Moving right along. This OOB approach has some advantages!

I got all the parts cleaned up and most of the sink holes filled. I lost practically all of the raised panel lines on the wings fixing the sink holes and fixing the joins between the outer wing panels and the inners and blending in the separate ailerons, so, I rescribed it all. I think that's allowable under OOB rules as "restoring lost detail". The sink holes on the fuselage parts caused loss of some panel lines and to make it match the wings and stabilizers, the fuselage got rescribed too. I need the practice anyway (witness the filled and re-rescribed mistakes...).

Cockpits on these were all black, so that helps with the lack-o-detail and I applied random shades to the seat. I painted the little dude as best my skill and the molders art allowed. I think the nickname of the Airfix little dude is "Biggles" isn't it? Does Frog's man-in-the-seat have a name? Kermit?

I sanded and polished the canopy inside and out and then dipped it in Future. It's pretty clear, just a touch of milkyness from the plastic. Tons better than the raw part.

I'm leaving the rockets and rails out, they're too terrible and not fixable within OOB rules. I filled their holes with stretched sprue from the kit! I'll fill the stand slot that way too.

On to gluing parts together!

vRFztPm.jpg

0cpEYXz.jpg

vDcv54f.jpg

6aKr539.jpg

Here's the eighth day build update. This is phenomenal speed for me.

Fuselage is closed and flying surfaces attached. The alignment looks good. I matched the top edges of the wing root so there's a bit of a step on the starboard wing on the bottom. It's a flat area so I can fill and then block sand it so it should be an easy fix. Especially since the wing root is the undersized part.

I used some strips of decal trim film on the rudder to simulate the rib tape. I wish it were a little thinner but that's about as narrow a strip I could cut without it breaking up. I'm hoping it will be -just- visible under paint.

The wheels and prop are painted. I just eyeballed the masking on the spinner so it's not perfect. But...since you can only see one side at a time it's okay.

EO70Aqg.jpg

Qr9WOTg.jpg

dVzhhOW.jpg

YYAUN0H.jpg

Just a quick update because nothing much has changed visually. I puttied the wing and stabilizer joins, sanded, puttied, sanded - you know the routine. So, here it is ready for paint.

Bonus nose-on image to show alignment.

ccHGhyG.jpg

qx106Bc.jpg

9qci5y0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

update # 5

It's all painted. I bought some EDSG and what I thought was light sea grey at the Hobby Emporium down in Mass when I was at GraniteCon. I painted a primer coat using the light sea grey and it looked much too dark to me. Then I looked at the bottle. It's FS36307 U.S. light sea gray, not RCN light sea grey! It's almost as dark as light gull gray and much too dark for a Sea Fury. So, I rummaged through my box of paint and decided "Fulcrum gray" was close enough. I shot that on and was happy to see it's a semi-gloss so decals will be easier. I shot the canopy frames with the EDSG and it's VERY dark. Too dark for scale so when I painted the airframe I used Dark Sea Grey instead of Extra Dark. It looks better. The Fulcrum gray may be a bit too light but I'll live with it.

The experiment with the decal strips on the rudder worked pretty good. It's visible but not obvious. And, I'm very happy with the rescribing under paint.

Next is painting the exhaust shield on each side, gloss and decals. I should have it finished by next weekend.

gWuXdZL.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Stickers are on and seal coat of varnish sprayed on. Alclad Aqua Gloss. I like it. The decals are from a sheet printed by IPMS Canada that I picked up after a show. They worked very well.  The "leafs" are a separate transfer so any misregistration is the fault of he who stuck them on the airplane.

V3Cxofo.jpg

BvTC0xH.jpg

• 1 month later...