Source for 1/48th USN Pilot Heads

Hi all,

I just picked up several of Aerobonus' 48th scale F-5E pilots in the seat, but unfortunately, the head that comes with it is for a USAF pilot, and I'm not sure if there's a difference between the helmets used by the USN and USAF. Also, the pilot has his face shield up, and I'd prefer it down. I swear that I saw someone did a set of different resin USN pilot heads...... or am I imagining it? Failing that, how about some options for any kits? Thanks, Fred K.

Same helmets for both, HGU'-55P, AF is painted gray with gray leather sides to keep the visor from scratching, Navy tapes over theirs with white reflective tape and black leather sides. Both use the JHMCS which is gray. The USMC puts a cloth BDU style cover on their helmets sometimes. The only different USN helmets are the 68's with the weird visor, and helo drivers which I'm not familiar with. Hope I helped.

Jeff

Just so you know, AeroBonus pilot/seat combos are ok, but one mold has a pilot whose head is too big and the other is too small.  I know it’s not exactly what you’re looking for, but...73808456-92_A0-4_D83-_BD0_D-_C9_C719_D9_

Edited by BoeingDriver
5 hours ago, jefropas said:

Same helmets for both, HGU'-55P, AF is painted gray with gray leather sides to keep the visor from scratching, Navy tapes over theirs with white reflective tape and black leather sides. Both use the JHMCS which is gray. The USMC puts a cloth BDU style cover on their helmets sometimes. The only different USN helmets are the 68's with the weird visor, and helo drivers which I'm not familiar with. Hope I helped.

Jeff

Thanks for the info Jeff! I'm looking at modeling a Navy F-5N from recent years. I'm hoping that a head from one of my Hasegawa 48th F-16 pilots will fit the Aerobonus pilot. We'll see....  Thanks again ;0) Fred.

3 hours ago, BoeingDriver said:

Just so you know, AeroBonus pilot/seat combos are ok, but one mold has a pilot whose head is too big and the other is too small.  I know it’s not exactly what you’re looking for, but...73808456-92_A0-4_D83-_BD0_D-_C9_C719_D9_

Thanks for the heads up..... so to speak! I'm going to try fitting a head from a 48th Hasegawa F-16 to the Aerobonus pilots, and see how that goes. I'm sure that I can make something work. Regards ;0) Fred.

The biggest problem with ALL the Aerobonus seated pilots is that they don't include oxygen masks! That omission baffles me. The real masks are always attached to the helmet, either hanging by the right side from the bayonet mount or completely attached, which is becoming much more common with OBOGS equipped aircraft. Aerobonus has shown no interest in correcting this deficiency, but I've mentioned it to another AM firm which has expressed interest in doing some 'alternate heads'. The only reason I can think of for why AB did what they did is that the sculptor is so proud of his faces that he doesn't want to hide them behind a mask.

Fred, if you use the head from one of the later C model boxing F-16's, the block 50's, you'll be fine. The early model ones (A,B,C,D's) all have the old helmets, the block 50's (C,D's) have the 55's on the sprue with the newer incorrect wheels, and LAU missile rails. There are 2 sprue per kit, as long as you have the right one.

Jeff

2 hours ago, jefropas said:

Fred, if you use the head from one of the later C model boxing F-16's, the block 50's, you'll be fine. The early model ones (A,B,C,D's) all have the old helmets, the block 50's (C,D's) have the 55's on the sprue with the newer incorrect wheels, and LAU missile rails. There are 2 sprue per kit, as long as you have the right one.

Jeff

Perfect! Thanks Jeff ;0) Fred.

18 hours ago, mrvark said:

The biggest problem with ALL the Aerobonus seated pilots is that they don't include oxygen masks! That omission baffles me. The real masks are always attached to the helmet, either hanging by the right side from the bayonet mount or completely attached, which is becoming much more common with OBOGS equipped aircraft. Aerobonus has shown no interest in correcting this deficiency, but I've mentioned it to another AM firm which has expressed interest in doing some 'alternate heads'. The only reason I can think of for why AB did what they did is that the sculptor is so proud of his faces that he doesn't want to hide them behind a mask.

Agreed Jim... I have no idea why they do that. Hopefully that AM firm that you mention will come through! Thanks ;0) Fred.