1/72 Revell F-4F Phantom Pharewell

This model was built for the "Modern Luftwaffe - 60th Anniversary" Group Build. I am posting it here, as there is no dedicated thread with completed pictures for this model yet.

The kit was reissued by Revell in 2014 with new decals and was built OOB. I only added some detail on the inside of the burner cans and added two pilot figures from the Revell NATO Pilots set. The kit went together very nice, the only problem spot was the turtledeck, which had very soft detail and a very ugly seam line. This appears to be the case with all of the reissues of Revell's new-tool RF-4E kit. I also had to fill and resribe some of the panellines on the aft fuselage and vertival stabilizer, which represent the RF-4E, on which the Revell F-4F kits are based on. No filler was required otherwise.

Contrary to most pictures of that jet, I left the radome in it's natural color, as this aircraft jet was still tasked for air defence tasks in that paint scheme. The golden paint would have compromised the radar. This is why I also added two live Sidewinders to the starboard wing. This was also the first F-4F to be delivered the the GAF in 1973 and the last one to be decomissioned from active service in 2013.

The model was primed with gloss Humbrol 14 French Blue, and the metallic paint is nail polish. I've used Maybelline Color Show #661, Ocean Blue. I guess I've put about 5 coats nail polish onto the model, which was thinned 50/50 with acetone. I've used up two bottles of the nail polish. One dry, rough spots were polished out with 3200 grit Micromesh. The radome was sprayed with ModelMaster Radome Tan (which is still the best color for that shade). The bare metal areas were sprayed with Vallejo Metal Color and the decals were applied straight on top of the nail polish.

The gloss coat is three coats of Future, which was applied to the with a flat brush. The Future was not applied to any bare metal areas. To get a satin texture on the nose, the Future was sanded off the radome with the new green polishing sticks. The canopy was painted with Revell Gold. Supposedly the decals in that kit were specifically matched to the Revell gold paint, but it is not a 100% match.

Very early in the build, I've added some Evergreen styrene strips to the inside of the exhaust nozzles to give them more detail. That simple trick does work wonders! I also added two pilot figures, from which I had to cut off their legs and the left forearms to fit into the cockpit after assembly.

The build thread can be found <HERE>.

Enjoy the pictures!

VPpX8Ea.jpg

bpAQ14D.jpg

CIXIUxj.jpg

5FpdLhA.jpg

6vRIx8w.jpg

8JfaSfN.jpg

n6be3tE.jpg

HrrtzOM.jpg

ColorShow661.jpg

Edited by Lancer512