"The aircraft was painted overall matte black with the idea being that it would receive the rest of its multi-tone "splinter" style paint job before taking to the flightline for aggressor duties. One source says this black base coat was applied during a visit to the depot following a major inspection and overhaul."

I guess now USAF is dabbling with black basing. Gotta work on that tonal variation though. 

Yup.... bob was waiting for the squadron to post pics or something like that. I read on facebook so it has to be true.

Edited by adamitri
Spelling

Aggressors/Adversaries used to be one of my staple builds; used to have about 30 of them, built from the late 80's through almost 2000. Once the splinters started becoming standard, I messed with a few of those and just completely lost my drive or desire....only done two of them since, neither of them splinters.

Can be really neat to look at, though!

Yes, that "Black" scheme was never intended to be an official scheme.  The aircraft received the black before departing from depot, but the tail number was needed for RF-AK before they could complete its scheme.  It's since been repainted in the brown-green-black splinter scheme as depicted above.  295....tail number same on both pics.

• 3 months later...

Depending which tamiya kit you have:

if its the Block 50 kit you would need the lightweight landing gear and scab plates.

The T-Bird kit you would need  GE exhaust, scab plates and large mouth intake.