Horrifying Landing!

A380 recently had a HORRIFYING landing!!!

http://nypost.com/2017/10/06/massive-airliners-skittish-landing-caught-on-horrifying-video/

Some would describe it as TERRIFYING!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4954988/Heart-stopping-moment-pilot-lands-high-winds-Germany.html

What is wrong with these planes, that they can't land straight on a runway??   Thankfully the pilots were able to wrestle it back onto the runway but I'll never fly in one of those deathtraps again!

Always fascinating watching the wings and vertical stabilizers flexing so much on these large aircraft. No questioning Airbus's landing gear engineering either.

YouTube version here for anyone interested (full approach begins at 1:34):

We had one of the strongest storms known hitting central germany last thursday. That´s when the video was taken. It´s still just a low and mild blowing weather compared with the hurricanes you guys had this year...

HAJO

43 minutes ago, midnightprowler said:

My question, why crosswind landings in the first place? Don't major airports have runways in multiple directions?

Some do, but the main runways are typically aligned with the prevailing winds, more or less.  The runways not aligned so may or may not be long/wide/strong enough to handle large aircraft.  If there are strong winds off the main runway directions, ya do what ya gotta do (meaning fly a crosswind approach and landing).

9 hours ago, 11bee said:

What is wrong with these planes, that they can't land straight on a runway??   Thankfully the pilots were able to wrestle it back onto the runway but I'll never fly in one of those deathtraps again!

Like my old IP would say, it's not the plane, it's the nut holding the stick.

10 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Or mine used to say (though may others have as well), Any landing you walk away from is a good one.

And if you can use the aircraft again it's a great one.

Cheers :cheers:

Itch

When making crosswind landings as part of my flying lessons, even that little Cessna 150 looked from the cockpit like it was headed into the woods. Thats when I learned about cross-controlling. Looks mighty impressive on that A380.

Rick in Maine

16 hours ago, midnightprowler said:

My question, why crosswind landings in the first place? Don't major airports have runways in multiple directions?

On the other hand, crosswinds or shearwinds are sometime very local phenomenon  which axis is not parallel to the main wind axis the runway is supposed to be parallel to.

Edited by squezzer
21 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Looks like pilot error to me. He had left rudder to correct for crosswind but held it even after touchdown when the landing gear would have become the prime source of control. Thus the large yaw to port.

I don't know the specifics for the A380 but most of the time, the rudder and the front landing gear are actuated together by the pedals as soon as the front landing gear oleo is compressed. The amount of control respectively provided by each one depends on the airspeed. At high rolling speed, whithout rudder authority, the front wheels would rotate and skid and the plane would roll on its side instead of making a flat turn on its wheels.

Edited by squezzer

That A380 could have used the B-52's crosswind/crabbing landing feature (look at the attitude of the B-52 in relation to the runway at the 40 second mark!!):

Well who really knows. My post was kind of in jest. However, technology and materials have come a long way since 1952 when the BUFF first flew (the A380 itself is a testament to that). If some aircraft company really wanted to incorporate a similar crosswind landing system as used in the B-52 they could probably figure something out that would still be cost effective. I'll bet the pilots of that A380 wished they had one :thumbsup:.

On 2017-10-09 at 5:30 PM, midnightprowler said:

No, more and more airports are being designed with parallel runways to handle more air traffic in at the same time.

Intersecting runways are a thing of the past due to aircraft now being designed to easily handle crosswind landings. 

5 hours ago, Scooby said:

No, more and more airports are being designed with parallel runways to handle more air traffic in at the same time.

Intersecting runways are a thing of the past due to aircraft now being designed to easily handle crosswind landings. 

That airbus landing didn't look easily handled. I gotta think that was a rough one for the passengers.