Horrifying Landing!

1 hour ago, habu2 said:

Does no one remember the checkerboard approach at Kai Tak ???

Search youtube for "checkerboard approach kai tak airport"

Flew that a few times as a kid.   Was a crazy ride, during good weather conditions.  During the monsoon season, it was really intense.   Good memories.   Those pilots earned their pay. 

14 hours ago, midnightprowler said:

That airbus landing didn't look easily handled. I gotta think that was a rough one for the passengers.

I didn’t say the airbus landing was easily handled. I said airports are being designed now with parallel runways because large aircraft are being designed to handle crosswind landings.

Designers of airports want parallel runways for two reasons:

1. More traffic.

2. Less real estate to purchase.

There was a time a crosswind landings wasn’t even considered with large aircraft. It was a go around or time to fly to the alternate airport.

Still think cross wind runways add to the safety factor.   BOS (Boston - Logan) has runways on three different headings and in a regular week, all three are in use at one time or another due to heavy, variable winds coming off the harbor. 

9 hours ago, Scooby said:

I didn’t say the airbus landing was easily handled. I said airports are being designed now with parallel runways because large aircraft are being designed to handle crosswind landings.

Designers of airports want parallel runways for two reasons:

1. More traffic.

2. Less real estate to purchase.

There was a time a crosswind landings wasn’t even considered with large aircraft. It was a go around or time to fly to the alternate airport.

Maybe it's time to reconsider that. What if that pilot hadn't been able to get control of that sliding? I don't know. Just something for thought.

On 10/9/2017 at 11:02 PM, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Or mine used to say (though may others have as well), Any landing you walk away from is a good one.

And any landing you can still you the airplane after is even better....

8 hours ago, midnightprowler said:

Maybe it's time to reconsider that. What if that pilot hadn't been able to get control of that sliding? I don't know. Just something for thought.

He would have try to get airborne again. In case of failure, he would have crashed. It happen sometimes. Since Newton invented gravity years ago, things tend to fall back to ground after a trip in the air...I m kidding of course but 100% safety doesn't not exist, most of the people in aircraft business are involved and well trained, the world safety record is quite good and far better the road safety record just to mention one, even in countries with a strong law enforcement system. This said, human beings can fail or can do stupid things, accidents happen after a very unlikely combination of factors...It that case, with the few elements we have, it is impossible to start a scientific or professionnal thinking.

Edited by squezzer
On 2017-10-12 at 2:44 AM, midnightprowler said:

Little late for that, airports are being built to those standards in the current time frame. It is all about money.

I’ve read a lot of articles lately in regards to these changes.

The A-320 will always be an awkward aircraft to land in a crosswind.

I know this is an older thread, but I came across this A380 landing that looks quite similar to the one the OP posted. Unfortunately the camera view is from the rear and not the not front, but you get the idea:

On 2017-10-11 at 5:40 PM, 11bee said:

Still think cross wind runways add to the safety factor.   BOS (Boston - Logan) has runways on three different headings and in a regular week, all three are in use at one time or another due to heavy, variable winds coming off the harbor. 

Of course it does, if I were building airports I’d be putting them in all of them.

But with airlines time is money. They want jets lined up and landing parallel to each other.