Regarding F-100 and F-105 during Vietnam War

Hi there

Well in our local club this quarter contest is about Vietnam War so my models to choose are F-100 and F-105 but got a bit of confused about the interior colors so please help me a bit

Natural metal 

F-100 Cockpit interior, U/C, wheels, U/C Interior

F-105 Cockpit interior, U/C, wheels, U/C Interior

For trumpeter F-105 call to white u/c and interiors but in old Monogram kits said Interior Green the same than WWII???

SEA scheme same

10000 thanks 

Armando

Edited by RAGATIGER

Hi Armando, 

The cockpits of both jets were Dark Gull Gray FS36231. It was the standard cockpit color for USAF and USN jets after the early 1950s.

The F-100's wheel wells were a medium green. I usually use the same medium green as found in the USAF Vietnam camouflage (FS34102). It is a pretty good match for the gear wells of a couple of unrestored F-100s I once checked. The paints sold as "Interior Green" are too light. The interiors of the gear doors and the struts were silver. 

'The F-105 seems to have started out with a darkish interior green like the F-100. I've also seen mention of camouflage gray or white on camouflaged Thuds. I don't have my notes with me but others can confirm. If you are building a natural metal or silver Thud, I'd use green. The gear struts and door interiors were natural metal or silver on silver jets and could have been silver, underside color, or white on camouflaged jets. I think white was probably used later, after they had reached the Air National Guard.

Note that by the time both types were flying in Vietnam, they were painted with an aluminum lacquer paint. The only natural metal F-100s by then were the Thunderbirds jets. The Thuds were painted around 1962 and they started painting the F-100s during the mid-1950s.

HTH.

Ben

This is what happens when I get up too early and try to answer questions before the caffeine has had time to kick in. :doh:

What I meant to say is, they started paining the F-100s aluminum lacquer in the mid-1950s, I assume for corrosion control. Some of the last F-100s built even rolled out of the factory painted (per Dave Menard). The famous Triple Zilch, that everyone builds in highly polished natural metal, was actually painted aluminum (ca. 1954). The USAF started camouflaging everything, Thuds, Huns, F-4s, etc, in 1964-65, as you said. 

Sorry for the confusion!

Cheers!

Ben