Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Recommended Posts

I am still mourning the loss of Admiral Ackbar... That was CRAP....  I thought I was ok, but then IT WAS A TRAP...  and I miss him again... Long Live his memory.... and the movie sucked in many ways... But still better than Episode 1 or 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CreepyGuy said:

 But still better than Episode 1 or 2

You set a low bar but I agree.  I also don't think we've seen the last of D.J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed it - as have my friends and their kids.  Not perfect of course - but like modelling - if I enjoy the process, then it's been time well spent.  I've never had a perfect project, or seen a perfect movie.  Something that still draws me in after 40 years is a rare thing.  I could go on about things I didn't like - but with all things Star Wars, I'm happy that there's still so much to enjoy, and I try to focus on that.  I'm still working on the DeAgostini Falcon and R2-D2, just picked up the Bandai PG Falcon, and am looking forward to the new Star Wars world at Disneyland and Disney World.  When I'm there - I'm amazed at how strong the force is (pun intended) with so many kids.  The themes that have kept this universe alive will still be around long after we're gone.  I'm happy about that, and look forward to what is yet to come.

 

Luke didn't die...  

 

Point raised by a friend.  When Obi-Wan disappeared - most of us thought he died (I did) - but, he projected himself there on the Death Star - as Luke did on the ice planet.  There was no Obi-Wan body - as we could clearly see when Darth Vader stepped on his robes.  He went to the next level of consciousness and became one with the Force.  Yet Obi-Wan was still around to mentor Luke and give him guidance.  Luke did the same thing at the end of this one; "The circle is now complete" - and Luke will be there to mentor Rey.  The ending music, imagery and symbology was very powerful if you were willing to see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I have to say is:  I won't be building any models from The Last Jedi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2017 at 10:08 PM, GEH737 said:

I enjoyed it - 

 

Luke didn't die...  

 

Point raised by a friend.  When Obi-Wan disappeared - most of us thought he died (I did) - but, he projected himself there on the Death Star - as Luke did on the ice planet.  There was no Obi-Wan body - as we could clearly see when Darth Vader stepped on his robes.  He went to the next level of consciousness and became one with the Force.  Yet Obi-Wan was still around to mentor Luke and give him guidance.  Luke did the same thing at the end of this one; "The circle is now complete" - and Luke will be there to mentor Rey.  The ending music, imagery and symbology was very powerful if you were willing to see it.

GEH737

Totally agree, it bears a resemblance to A New Hope but geared for viewers 3 generations later. As you said it's still the journey.

You are in Newnan?  I am in McDonough, drop me a PM and maybe get together for an adult beverage and talk flying, airplanes and models.

Cheers:cheers:

Itch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main thing I want to know is if my 8 and 10 year old daughters can go see this? Is there anything inappropriate for that age group? I'd say the most intense thing they've seen thus far is The Avengers Civil War or Guardians of the Galaxy, so is it any more intense than that? I want to take them this weekend but leary about a movie i haven't seen yet.

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill

I don't think there is anything that would really upset your girls. There's a couple scenes that are a little intense but nothing really bad. Some of the humor is a little dark. About the worst is Luke milks some animal and drinks the milk while in another scene Chewie tries to eat a cooked porge while others watch teary eyed. As far as violence it's standard Star Wars no blood. I will warn you if you take them to see it they will want porges. I hope that helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, VIPER0177 said:

Bill

I don't think there is anything that would really upset your girls. There's a couple scenes that are a little intense but nothing really bad. Some of the humor is a little dark. About the worst is Luke milks some animal and drinks the milk while in another scene Chewie tries to eat a cooked porge while others watch teary eyed. As far as violence it's standard Star Wars no blood. I will warn you if you take them to see it they will want porges. I hope that helps.

Thanks Viper, that's helps a lot. I may take them. They've liked all of the others that they've seen (I haven't subjected them to Episodes I II or III, I'm afraid they'll like Jar Jar and I can't have that!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didnt hate it, but I wont rush to go see it again. Its not as good as Rogue, 4, 5 or 6 but way better than 1 and 2. I think the humor was thrown in weird and overdone way. The CGI was great in most spots but cheesy in others. One question though.... wheres Lukes green laser sword (yes I know its a lightsaber, lukes words not mine) ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and we still dont know who snoke is...

Edited by adamitri
Add on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, adamitri said:

Oh and we still dont know who snoke is...

We still didn't know who was Emperor Palpatine after ROJ (more than 30 years ago), just he was more powerfull than Vader and was THE Badass. That didn't stop people thinking the flick was a great conclusion for the original trilogy. And there's at least one more film for concluding this new trilogy, with gaps to be filled by "between" movies like R1

I liked TLJ very much. I still don't know if it's better or worse than R1, but is certainly at the same league. Those 3 new flicks (until now) are at another level than the previous 5. It certainly can't be compared to ANH, but that's only because Ep. 4 stablished the genre and a whole new game for the cinema industry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't ever recall fuel being a topic/issue before in the SW universe.  The x-wings and Millennium Falcon traveled in light speed throughout the galaxies but I don't ever remember fuel mentioned. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't like it at all. Seemed very cheesy to me. The Leia scene was just stupid. I couldn't see Luke just giving up like he did. And very little Chewy in the movie. It was just horrible to me overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But Ackbar....... Poor Ackbar couldn't Mary Poppins his way back into the  ship.... Huge plot hole..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still can't believe how down people are on this film. I thought it was fantastically entertaining precisely because so many unexpected things happened. It would have sucked if it all fell into place like the OT... I mean, I did not want this trilogy to just be a reboot for a younger generation. TFA was great but felt very similar to ANH, so I'm completely satisfied that TLJ turned everything on it's head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My take on it, just saw it tonight. It was good, but Luke Skywalker

let me down. For all those episodes he was the wanna be Jedi

but after his nephew kicks his butt and burns down his school he

wimps out and hides on an island wallowing in his self pity. If he was

such a great teacher of the art of Jedi with a strong will like Obiwan and

Yoda why did he give up so easily? Out side of that and the part where

Leia gets blown into -360 degree space and lives it was pretty believable.

Sure left the door open for more Jedis to be up and coming in future

sequels.---John

Edited by john53

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, john53 said:

My take on it, just saw it tonight. It was good, but Luke Skywalker

let me down. For all those episodes he was the wanna be Jedi

but after his nephew kicks his butt and burns down his school he

wimps out and hides on an island wallowing in his self pity. If he was

such a great teacher of the art of Jedi with a strong will like Obiwan and

Yoda why did he give up so easily? Out side of that and the part where

Leia gets blown into -360 degree space and lives it was pretty believable.

Sure left the door open for more Jedis to be up and coming in future

sequels.---John

Luke didn't give up! He finally understood that no one could be a "perfect" Jedi (or a perfect Sith, for that matter), that light and dark are sides of the vital force that connects everything in the universe,  and one has to balance good and evil to be strong with the force. And yes, I didn't like my hero since 1977 to go wherever Obi Wan and Yoda are , but that's what makes TLJ truly special. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well.... I for one will continue to collect the dvds and watching the movies. For entertainment it's good! Never cared about Admiral Ackbar..... which was the first jar jar...

 

I understand the new SW is for today's kids.... Disney will do it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark Hamill's own words:

 

I've had trouble accepting what he (Rian Johnson) saw for Luke. But again, I mean, I have to say, having seen the movie I was wrong. I think being pushed out of your comfort zone is a good thing. Because if I was just another benevolent jedi training young Padawans... we've seen it!

 

And that's something I totally agree with. :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 19 year old daughter loved it....my wife slept during the movie for about 45 minutes.....we went to the 7pm showing so it wasn't a midnight showing that caused her to sleep.  I was somewhere in the middle.....I will go see every Star Wars movie....every Star Trek movie.....every James Bond movie.

 

Regarding the latest Star Wars movie.....I'll let the experts debate the story line.  But for me I miss the subtle charm George Lucas brought the Star Wars movies.  He was very careful that each minute of the movie added to the movie....if  a scene was flat and didn't really add much....he would cut that minute or 2 scene from the final movie....he was very careful to maintain the tempo  the movie.   I found this movie went flat in big chunks between the battle scenes.  Perhaps background music was lacking or something like that...I'm not sure.  I also miss the costumes and fancy hair styles of the females.  And I miss the scene transitions that Lucas used....it is all the small touches that Disney dropped that take away from the magical charm of the Lucas movies.  I do enjoy the space battle scenes etc of the new movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, SBARC said:

Regarding the latest Star Wars movie.....I'll let the experts debate the story line.  But for me I miss the subtle charm George Lucas brought the Star Wars movies.  He was very careful that each minute of the movie added to the movie....if  a scene was flat and didn't really add much....he would cut that minute or 2 scene from the final movie....he was very careful to maintain the tempo  the movie.   I found this movie went flat in big chunks between the battle scenes.  Perhaps background music was lacking or something like that...I'm not sure.  I also miss the costumes and fancy hair styles of the females.  And I miss the scene transitions that Lucas used....it is all the small touches that Disney dropped that take away from the magical charm of the Lucas movies.  I do enjoy the space battle scenes etc of the new movies.

 

This pretty much mirrors my view and my family's view on it as well.  At one point, I looked over at my wife and she had her eyes closed but she didn't fall into actual sleep mode.  I couldn't agree more that there were a lot of flat spots that seemed to add zero plot to the movie.  The whole "casino city" thing, I felt, could have been entirely removed from the movie and it wouldn't have altered the story line.  It was a lot of screen time just to find a code breaker guy and free some CGI horse-like creatures.  It seemed like they went off on some pointless tangents.

 

Don't get me wrong!  I like the characters and all that but it could have been a much deeper plot-driven storyline.  It seemed like it was a shallow movie.  Just lots of pew-pew-pew and the good guys get away.  Then the bad guys give chase.  More pew-pew-pew.  Good guys get away.  Insert Kylo Ren shirtless scene (why?).  More pew-pew-pew.  Luke evaporates.

 

Eric

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the shirtless Kylo Ren had a subliminal meaning, kinda

like pew pew pew tin!!!! LOL---John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

it was SJW mindless crap, designed to create a bias in you and it ruined the movie.  As a model builder, shuttles that look  so totally lame, gorilla AT-ATs, why not just modify the AT-AT? why do all the ships always look crappy, can people not build real models anymore? purpled haired "general"  the women are all so smart and in charge?  fat dumpy girl so out of shape people can feel like they are represented?  A handful of Alliance members are disrupting the whole universe, of course your allies in the outer rim got the message they aren't responding because you smell and they are busy at work

Edited by DarkKnight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

it was SJW mindless crap, designed to create a bias in you and it ruined the movie.

 

SJW?

What bias was the shirtless scene trying to create?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DarkKnight said:

it was SJW mindless crap, designed to create a bias in you and it ruined the movie.  As a model builder, shuttles that look  so totally lame, gorilla AT-ATs, why not just modify the AT-AT? why do all the ships always look crappy, can people not build real models anymore? purpled haired "general"  the women are all so smart and in charge?  fat dumpy girl so out of shape people can feel like they are represented?  A handful of Alliance members are disrupting the whole universe, of course your allies in the outer rim got the message they aren't responding because you smell and they are busy at work

It was an entertaining movie, that said I think from my perspective you hit the nail right on the head!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×