Need guidance on whether this is repairable...

So last month I was supposed to be moving, so I loaded all my models that were built or semi built, and carted them over to the new apartment before the main move, so they wouldn't get damaged. The apartment wasn't ready the day we went, and ended up not being ready the next day when we were supposed to move in. So instead of being in the car 2 hours, my models were in the car for 2 days, and I had a couple casualties from the unexpected heat that built up inside the car.

One model was trash, no chance to save it, the other is this 1/144 RoG 747-400. One wing has a very noticeable warp to it now, and I'm not sure what to do. This thing has been a real pig, but I honestly don't know whether to trash it or not. I hate the idea of trashing it just b/c of all the work it's taken to get it this far, where it's almost ready for paint.

20170910_184712.jpg

Hi Adam, if you have plans of trashing it, then it's the best time to experiment-- if it doesn't go your way it won't hurt as much.    There is hope -- using boiling water.   You'll need a big pan that would allow dipping the whole wing.   First you bend it by hand slowly as best you could.  You might have to overbend so it's straight when it springs back.    Once you like what you see, you will have to dip it into boiling water (not more than 6 seconds or the wing will warp in the wrong places) -- then quickly run it under the tap to freeze the shape.

You can also sandwich it between two flat pieces of wood before dunking -- but this is harder to control because the wood might be pressing down on the wrong spots.

I did a wing rework using the boiling water method but it was the opposite though --- I was introducing a bend for an in-flight look.  And this was the smaller 1/200.

yilzJQD.jpg

TeS6vtZ.jpg

99nwf9r.jpg

E3v8CX8.jpg

oVyopZJ.jpg

There is another method but may not be as promising.  It did work for me, but it was a toy and the wings were of a more flexible type of plastic.   I cut up an old cd and hot-glued the  rectangular pieces inside the wing to straighten it.    

015Bentwings.jpg

016InsertedCDs.jpg

017Filedasthinasitwillgo.jpg

020PuttiedupbothwingswithKwikPlastic.jpg

021Filedandsanded.jpg\\

025NowImbacktotwogoodwings.jpg

027Mount2.jpg

029BackinFlight2.jpg

1 hour ago, Joel_W said:

Adam,

Good luck with the fix. Please let us know how it turns out.

Joel

Will do Joel. I'll probably look at giving it a shot at some point this weekend. Thankfully the other wing appears to be fine so I can use it as a guide to make sure I get it right.