A-4D1...and a trip to memory lane!

Hello all

For a good while I have that plan to build a 1/48 Skyhawk following a very famous comic book series of my youth..."Buck Danny". I think those comics were mostly popular in Europe like others in the same style.

Anyway...subject would be a A-4D1 of a fictive mercenary "Flying Tigers" squadron somewhere in Asia in the late 50ties, early 60ties...

Originally I had planned to slaughter an Hasegawa A-4C that I have in my stash...the a while later I found a cheap A-4B kit which is even closer to the -D1. Lately though I realized that both of those Hasegwa kit are very rare and go for crazy money sometimes.

Then last week I found a Monogram A-4E Aggressor kit offered...for super cheap money. It arrived yesterday and I opened it up this morning. This was the fist Monogram Skyhawk I had held in hand for like 40 years or so...To my surprise, I didn't know that any more, the kit is really super nice. Very fine raised details, very good fit as far as I can tell so far and enough details to satisfy my needs. Maybe a set of wheels is needed? Very overseeable parts count as well. All in all just the right piece for a conversion I hope. I have Darren's A-4B nose kit and I will have to see what can be done to the intakes. The rest is mainly cutting stuff off rather then rebuilding a lot.

I was now looking at E-Bay for other "Golden Age" Monogram kits...I had a large bunch as a child...but I am very surprised for how much money those still go nowadays. Hardly any Monogram jet on E-Bay here for less then 25EUR...which is twice of what they were when new! I guess there must be a collector maket for them?

cheers

Uwe

PS: While searching I penciled in on a B-29...curious how the price is develloping...;-)

Edited by anj4de