It's 2017 and the Army still can't decide on uniforms

I  really like the the WWII style uniform.

The Australian Army have recently  reverted back to the Khaki Green dress uniform from the olive green that I had when I served in the 90's.

new-uniform-800x444.jpg

( Photo from Australian Defence Force  Image Library) 

We're missing a duty uniform and this is the one that junior soldiers and senior leaders have told our SMA and CoS we want. It's that one rare time all the stars and planets seem to align. The current leadership has been hitting grand slams connecting with troops and giving them a voice on the little stuff. Black socks, new PT uniform, updated fitness test, rolled sleeves, and now this throw back uniform from the greatest generation....good times.

46 minutes ago, fulcrum1 said:

We're missing a duty uniform and this is the one that junior soldiers and senior leaders have told our SMA and CoS we want. It's that one rare time all the stars and planets seem to align. The current leadership has been hitting grand slams connecting with troops and giving them a voice on the little stuff. Black socks, new PT uniform, updated fitness test, rolled sleeves, and now this throw back uniform from the greatest generation....good times.

Should give the rangers their black berets back and all will be well

50 minutes ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

Should give the rangers their black berets back and all will be well

Is the black beret still worn by the masses?   If so, scrap it asap it, it was a horrible mistake, given that the vast majority of troops didn't have a clue on how to wear it properly. 

As far as re-issuing it to the Rangers, not sure if many current Rangers ever wore the black one.   They might be getting used to Khaki.  

6 hours ago, metroman said:

Return to the garrison cap for the masses, and berets only for Rangers (black), Spec Forces (Green) and Airborne (Maroon). 

Coming from an 82nd airborne guy who went through jump school to EARN!! my beret, I totally 100% agree. If you didn't earn the beret, you shouldn't be wearing one. Go and put back on your LEG CAP!!!

As for the dress uniforms, sorry, it looks to WW2ish. Stay with the dress blues. I think they look sharp!

Tim

Edited by hawkwrench
On 10/14/2017 at 1:18 PM, Aussie_superbug said:

I  really like the the WWII style uniform.

The Australian Army have recently  reverted back to the Khaki Green dress uniform from the olive green that I had when I served in the 90's.

new-uniform-800x444.jpg

( Photo from Australian Defence Force  Image Library) 

My GOD!  My old Service Dress uniform is back in style

Shane

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 12:13 PM, martin_sam_2000 said:

I really like that look! Touches on the past while still looming modern and classy.

img_4753.jpg

Sean

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 12:31 PM, southwestforests said:

Classy is the correct call. Those look good. My little brother is old enough to have retired from Army in 2015 as a W4, and I think he would like that uniform. 

As someone who left the Army when the Dress Greens were still the standard issue with the enlisted peons, I like this style. It's time to get away with "snazzy" and "hip" and get back to basic & functional (like the ACU donkey show that the Army spent BILLIONS on before listening to the complaints).

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:22 AM, 11bee said:

Is the black beret still worn by the masses?   If so, scrap it asap it, it was a horrible mistake, given that the vast majority of troops didn't have a clue on how to wear it properly. 

As far as re-issuing it to the Rangers, not sure if many current Rangers ever wore the black one.   They might be getting used to Khaki.  

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 10:33 PM, hawkwrench said:

Coming from an 82nd airborne guy who went through jump school to EARN!! my beret, I totally 100% agree. If you didn't earn the beret, you shouldn't be wearing one. Go and put back on your LEG CAP!!!

As for the dress uniforms, sorry, it looks to WW2ish. Stay with the dress blues. I think they look sharp!

Tim

Being OPFOR, I was also issued with the black beret (but only when wearing the "Aggressor DCUs"), however, I preferred the BDU patrol cap.

1 hour ago, afspret said:

Well now it seems the USAF wants to dump the ABU for something else, and apparently one option is to adopt something similar to the same type of uniform the Army wants to get rid of!  

Remember the good old days when everyone wore the same uniforms (BDU’s)?  

It seemed to work out fine.   

• 2 weeks later...