F-101b Vodoo Revell 1/72

Hello,

so let's re-start from this.

The Pavla seats that are 99% identical to those from True Details have a thin and large head cushion that I've often seen on the single seat recce version of the Voodoo.

On f-101b I've always seen a slightly different head rest, slightly smaller but much more thick.

Being a part that is easily noticeable with an opened canopy I opted for a little fix:

here You can see the True detail on the left and the modified Pavla on the right:

dlJJcFA.jpg

This side view shows the rear part of the seat (marked with the black arrow) that has been shortened:

25FNXCL.jpg

And here the pair:

3QE3QEJ.jpg

It's a matter of volumes and proportions but with this little addition all seems different to me!

For tonight it's all but stay tuned!

Bye

Giovanni

Edited by Giovanni
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello thank you for kind words.

After some stop I went on with the job this time focusing on the area above the front instrument panel.

The Pavla kit offers a part which isn't so nice so starting from the original kit part I started to re-contour it.

Here the Pavla part on the left and the re-shaped kit part on the right:

6pIdDZQ.jpg

And here the finished new part. Please note that the combining glass has been frankensteinized from the Pavla part.

The foldable glass will be added later:

NeVogLL.jpg

5je36yE.jpg

Here's a dry fit test:

FUhLqyb.jpg

L0jprFt.jpg

A top side picture shows the slightly offset position of the combining glass:

pjtRmMA.jpg

Another painful thing I discovered while doing a fit test was that the front seat panel is some two millimeters moved backwards from the correct position.

The Pavla cockpit is too short!

mDUKMla.jpg

So after some considerations I took the decision to cut it in two pieces in order to place the front part closer to the windscreen.

This I'll show you later.

That's all for now

Bye

Giovanni

Edited by Giovanni
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 5:16 PM, Craig Baldwin said:

The attention to detail is admirable. The great workmanship continues. Glad to see the progression.

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 1:37 AM, Joel_W said:

Giovanni

Well thought out, and nicely done.

Joel

Thank you guys you're gentle.

Well this is to show You that this is going on. Slowly but on move!

Ok, first the cockpit cut in two pieces to add a couple of millimeters in length as announced on previous post:

1YGJlK4.jpg

Here you can see it already primed (I usually paint cockpits in black and then with the definitive color airbrushed from the direction of light. Here the effect of increased depth is barely visible also because of the demi gloss finish).

Then this:

I0BYeav.jpg

The combining glass and relative arms.

Here all primed and testing the fit of the glass in the folded position:

93OSbF2.jpg

lZgZVo0.jpg

And to conclude a glimpse on the ejection seats and cockpit layout.

Please note still to do a weathering wash and some dry-brushing so not the definitive aspect:

i9lfYOv.jpg

I'm switching to Vallejo Model Color acrylic paints and as many of You already know they really are excellent!

That's almost all but stay tuned because tomorrow evening/night I'm going to spend some more hours on the beauty

Thank You and Bye

Giovanni 

Edited by Giovanni
On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:23 AM, Major Walt said:

Beautiful work as always Giovanni! Especially those seats in 1/72nd!

Thank You Walt.

Well as promised I spent the whole evening and night and also part of morning for the joy of my wife but get the cockpit almost finished:

12pxZVU.jpg

Instrument panels are nearly complete missing flat varnish and some drybrushing, so some pics will follow soon.

Bye

Time to clean up the house!

Giovanni

Hello,

thank You guys for nice comments!

After some minor sanding finally yesterday evening all the parts went into the fuselage.

X6ZvIaJ.jpg

T3blp3y.jpg

Now I can switch to wings, air intakes ducts and main lamding gear

So please keep following!

Bye

Giovanni

Gran lavoro Giovanni!

Lavorare il cockpit ( o sul super dettaglio in generale ) è la parte che preferisco in un modello,io stò combattendo con il mio MiG-21,un sacco di lavoro...

Sono inoltre contento sia un 1/72 stavolta;certo per the passare dal 144 al 72 è come per me passare dal 72 al 48 ( con tutto il divertimento che nè consegue).

Great job Giovanni!
Working the cockpit (or super detail in general) is the part I prefer in a model, I'm fighting with my MiG-21, a lot of work ...
I am also happy is a 1/72 this time, certainly for you shift from 144 to 72 is like for me to go from 72 to 48 (with all the fun that ensues).

Gianni

Thank You Joel, Gianni and Walt for supporting!

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 5:40 PM, kurnass77 said:

Working the cockpit (or super detail in general) is the part I prefer in a model, I'm fighting with my MiG-21, a lot of work ...
I am also happy is a 1/72 this time, certainly for you shift from 144 to 72 is like for me to go from 72 to 48 (with all the fun that ensues).

Dear Gianni I've seen all the work you're doing on your mig ant it is getting cooler and cooler and I'm sure will be a beauty when finished!

Now the latest update...

I've been working on the rotary door of missile compartment.

My choice was for the "falcon" side down even if the "genie" side was a little bit better detailed.

This is the result:

ulmM41b.jpg

2X6camr.jpg

I've corrected and added details in order to get a better and more realistic door.

I forgot to take a picture of how it was before!

Now working at the bottom of the wing and fuselage. Being rescribing and correcting the area where the drop tanks attachment points stand.

Bye

Giovanni 

The rotary door looks really good and those small "fences" look just right. They were to deflect the hot coming out of the airconditioning exhaust outlet that would affect the AIM. Looking forward to more updates.

Still a solid base kit for modelling the 101 by Revell.

2 hours ago, Craig Baldwin said:

The rotary door looks really good and those small "fences" look just right. They were to deflect the hot coming out of the airconditioning exhaust outlet that would affect the AIM. Looking forward to more updates.

Still a solid base kit for modelling the 101 by Revell.

Thank You Craig! Your knowledge of the subject is amazing!

16 hours ago, Wolfgun33 said:

It's looking great. Really enjoy your attention to detail.

Thank You Wolfgun33. I'm trying to do my best!

I'm going to represent an aircraft from 111th FIS based in Ellington AFB Texas so something familiar to you I belive!

Yesterday evening as announced I did some re-scribing job on the drop tank attachment area:

uY7BP2T.jpg

cbhzz62.jpg

The squares contain the area where I made my job.

My Voodoo will be represented "clean" to show its beautiful lines so the area not covered by tanks needed a fix.

Happy Easter!

Giovanni

Edited by Giovanni