F-101b Vodoo Revell 1/72

Giovanni,

And a happy Easter to you as well. 

From a modelers point of view, your detailing especially as I've said numerous times in 1/72 is cutting edge.  I enjoy following these jet builds from that perspective, as Jets aren't by any means a strong point for me.

Joel

Hello,

I spent some time detailing the interiors of the main gear wells.

The kit detail is ok but can be improved.

So starting from the top wing area I erased the reinforcements marked with the black arrow on the following photo and replaced them with a styrene strip angled differently:

pHZ42fx.jpg

Then I added some interior structural elements that were missing:

q9csfgM.jpg

sOsKwYU.jpg

WZXZpIt.jpg

(The kit side walls where molded as one piece with part of the wheel doors and has been separated from these and glued in position:

this allows you to work the interior easily) 

Now some plumbing should be a great addition for gaining much realism but I'll see tomorrow evening.

I'd like to have the model finished in a month. Let's see.

Bye

Giovanni

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 12:02 AM, Joel_W said:

Giovanni,

Your detailing really is kicking this build up more then a few notches. Impressive to say the least.

Joel

Thank You Joel You're so gentle!

So opted for doing some plumbing inside wheel wells...

Ok, this has been expansive in terms of hours and quite boring...

but I'm pleased with the result.

Here some pics:

yuD0x6z.jpg

619Kv8Q.jpg

WCDG7eo.jpg

tfAtAYw.jpg

U62WWRU.jpg

9pSB1fZ.jpg

There's much detail of course in the real one but I made a compromise and we have to consider that this detail will be almost invisible when the model is sitting on the stand.

I also clean up the undercarriage and its doors:

A0g7Ysu.jpg

That's all.

Next is going to be detailing a little the inner part of flaps which are already well detailed.

Bye good night!

Giovanni

Giovanni,

Now that's really impressive.  I keep on having to remind myself that I would struggle to accomplish only half that detail in 1/48 scale at best, and you're doing this in 1/72 scale. I know I keep on saying this, but it just amazing me.

Joel

On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 4:09 PM, Joel_W said:

Giovanni,

Now that's really impressive.  I keep on having to remind myself that I would struggle to accomplish only half that detail in 1/48 scale at best, and you're doing this in 1/72 scale. I know I keep on saying this, but it just amazing me.

Joel

Thank You Joel!!

Well, the weekend has started with me having the brilliant idea to add two missing bulges under the wings.

You have to know that during the development of the interceptor version of the Voodoo (F-101B: the subject of this building thread) larger tires were introduced to compensate the additional weight required for the mission.

So there were a need for additional space to room these tires and two bulges were added under the wing.

Revell has done a good job with gear legs tires and doors but omitted this part of the bulge which blended the main gear door to the wing surface.

I deeply hate myself but once I note something missing or wrong I usually don't resist and try to fix.

That involves most of the time a lot of extra hours, uncertain results etc. and all for a thing that if you don't mention is most probably impossible to notice!

Now I have to stop me from these kind of initiative since I'd like to take this bird to a modeling competition and available time is lil' more than a month!

Here the pics now go back to workbench still to blend all with some putty:

YRSPscP.jpg

J2JYT6K.jpg

aaXG0uf.jpg

Bye!

Giovanni  

Edited by Giovanni

Good day!

So I blended the new parts with some basic Tamya putty:

KafCQMP.jpg

While waiting for it to cure and between first and second layer I spent the otherwise wasted time to clean the two ventral air scoops.

In the real airframe their aim was to create a cooling airflow into the engine nacelles.

Being well visible and characteristic meant a "must do something!" since the kit provides them in a very simplified way.

Here you can see what I mean in a comparative picture of before and after:

CWUMq3c.jpg

tX2xIyW.jpg

To conclude I get my satisfaction today with the bulged wing complete of its main elements:

MUkofLu.jpg

rq9kIMA.jpg

6RkG8GU.jpg

oJaEUFO.jpg

I said it's almost complete because still some work remains:

- the flaps that are now on the bench for some surgery

-the air intake ducts.

The latter seems to be a nightmare for modelers.

I hope to cope with them without major problems.

Soon I'll know how coupling of these parts is.

Another tricky passage is joining wing to fuselage: here I've noticed some gaps...so finger crossed!

Bye

Giovanni

Giovanni,

The wheel well bulges came our perfect. Bu those air scoops!! OMG to do that kind of detailing in 1/72 takes a very steady hand as well as a high level of skill. 

Joel

Thank You 11bee, thank You Joel.

1 hour ago, Joel_W said:

Giovanni,

The wheel well bulges came our perfect. Bu those air scoops!! OMG to do that kind of detailing in 1/72 takes a very steady hand as well as a high level of skill. 

Joel

To tell the truth that wasn't nothing compared to this:

S5t8wHo.jpg

NeSavFA.jpg

Today I have done various things and I'm happy.

Now I have to take a break, family calling...family came first.

So please stay tuned for next update!

Have a nice weekend

Giovanni 

• 5 weeks later...

Hello Tripio, hello friends.

Unfortunatly I'm at the hospital with two broken bones and waiting for some surgery to be performed.

I had another stop with the Project but main wheel wells and the interior of the flaps are finished at the moment. The upper and lower wing are attached together and I was working at the air intakes.

I Will have two months or more to recover so the positive side of my accident is a lot of extra time to complete this...

Giovanni

• 4 weeks later...

Ok guys,

let's start from the point the project had a stop due to my accident.

I had the inner flaps and main wheel vanes painted:

2f7EqFi.jpg

PUz8f7Y.jpg

B2nbtI5.jpg

aaUPn8L.jpg

I used the following colors:

Mr Hobby gloss red H327 lightned with some Tamya Gloss orange X-6 for flaps and wheel doors.

Mr Hobby interior green H58 + some gloss white for wheel bays.

I started with black as a basis.

After the flat transparent the lightning effects where almost lost. So if you're doing the same it's better to exceed a little with the contrast between shadows and lights.

Every day I feel a lill bit more energetic so soon I'll be back to the bench so please keep following!

Thank's

Bye

Giovanni

3 hours ago, Giovanni said:

Every day I feel a lill bit more energetic so soon I'll be back to the bench so please keep following!

We are all here happily waiting. Those numbers on the flaps look very familiar. Flaps were either up or down and made airframe spotting in the lineup a little easier.

Giovanni,

Looking real good.  I've found out the hard way that a matt clear over any level of gloss just kills the effect, so now I just mix a 50/50 mix of Dullcoat & Glosscoat, which gives me basically just a clearcoat effect. 

Really glad to hear that you're feeling better everyday, and you'll be back at your bench working shortly.

Joel

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

so I'm back on the workbench even if I get tired soon.

Well the air intakes need a lot of job.

The first thing I did was to remove the interior splitter plates. They were very thick and short.

JRyVyHi.jpg

Then I take the decision to cut off one from the other in order to have some freedom while positioning and aligning them later to the outer part of the intake:

UDRxurZ.jpg

The fixed ramps were thinned and glued in place. With care I eliminated all gaps inside and outside:

FON6DPW.jpg

7GDM6GF.jpg

GUZRRDh.jpg

That was the easy part. Some re-scribing was needed inside and some will be done later outside.

Even the upper and lower lips of the air intake were thinned. This led to some important gaps where the exterior part of the intake duct meets the interior one:

1l5eE3L.jpg

The idea here is to add a spacer (plasticard) between the upper and lower halves in order to get a better alignment.

This added to the fact that the interior splitter plates which I removed earlier need to be replaced is pushing me to the decision to close both intakes or at least one with a cover. 

So stay tuned since an update will follow

Thank's bye

Giovanni