F-101b Vodoo Revell 1/72

Giovanni,

Nice to have you back at the bench. Just work at your own pace and don't push yourself to do more then you feel comfortable in accomplishing at one time.

Excellent work on those intakes. If closing both intakes up works rather then trying to replace both splitter plates, I'd close them up. But that's just me being a lazy old retired guy.

Joel

Hi, thank You Mstor and Stevehnz, happy you appreciate my efforts!

3 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Giovanni,

Nice to have you back at the bench. Just work at your own pace and don't push yourself to do more then you feel comfortable in accomplishing at one time.

Excellent work on those intakes. If closing both intakes up works rather then trying to replace both splitter plates, I'd close them up. But that's just me being a lazy old retired guy.

Joel

Dear Joel thank you for supporting me in this delicate moment. I'm still not 100% and this doesn't help. I hate myself because I never give up even in front of a nightmare as these air intakes are.

In reality I tried first with an air intake and seen the idea of adding some plasticard between the two halves of the duct worked well to eliminate the gaps.

Now I'm proceeding with the second air intake.

To scratch the splitter plates from a sheet of plasticard wouldn't be easy but I think I can do it with some patience. I feel optimistic today. The result I gained is helping me to go on.

In the end if I can not produce two decent splitter plates well then the covers will arrive! So I want to try first.

ok, now what I've done was to use a square rod of 1mm - 0,040" in the way you can see in the picture below:

od5mX0x.jpg

Then I tapered the aft part to respect the round shape where the duct meets the engine first stage:

E5tP4bp.jpg

After some refinements the result is more then acceptable according to me.

The gap is almost vanished:

KVYHaqJ.jpg

See You soon for more updates!

Giovanni

22 hours ago, Joel_W said:

...  I'd close them up. But that's just me being a lazy old retired guy.

I agree on the lazy part!!   :coolio: To me, intake covers are, in most cases,  an obvious shortcut that detracts from the overall appeal of a model.   🥀

I really commend you, Giovanni for doing the extensive (and excellent) surgery that you've done, and I certainly hope you don't cover it all up!!

Gene K 

Thank You guys You're so gentle with me!

The update for today:

This morning I put together the air intakes:

fdwhdxA.jpg

I decided not to use putty in there.

This afternoon at the second attempt I succeeded on scratching the first splitter plate. At least one is done!

xbFminp.jpg

m02L5vr.jpg

h5rMQYk.jpg

Another good news:

Recently an Ukrainian company called Reskit has released a series of wheels sets and among them one was devoted to the Voodoo so I immediately purchase one set.

You have to know that the kit wheels are not too bad on one side but on the opposite are really poor of detail.

Unfortunately the better detailed side is the less visible being almost totally covered by the wheel wells while the less detailed in the end is the more visible side.

The resin set is impressively good to say the least (price is quite high to tell the truth).

Here are some comparative picture shoving the plus offered by the set compared to the kit wheel:

aS27lrc.jpg

u84F8ya.jpg

The whole content offered by the set:

VU5dcsu.jpg

And the set itself:

pYwCx1d.jpg 

That's all for today.

Tomorrow I'll try to replicate the splitter plate on the opposite side.

Bye

Giovanni 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:00 PM, Joel_W said:

Giovanni

Excellent work on scratching out the 1st splitter plate.

Joel

Thank You Joel.

With some delay the second splitter plate is now in place:

PnwRDaU.jpg

While I'm re-scribing the exterior of the air intakes I took a break to fix the compressor section bullets.

In the kit they are axially oriented and straight while in reality they were curved outwards to meet the air intakes airstream.

So I cut the front part keeping an angle of about 10 degrees:

oZJ2Pmz.jpg

Then turning and gluing it at 180° you will get the required curvature:

cqx3klZ.jpg

Some sending is required to gain a better result.

Here are the curved bullets nearly complete:

vxRPr6w.jpg

This operation after all is almost unnecessary since the compressor will be almost invisible recessed in the narrow and dark intake duct…

So if you are using this as a tutorial take your own decision … but ... only you will know.  

Bye

Giovanni

That's excellent work. The splitter plates were occasionally removed to allow access to an access panel for a  cooling radiator mounted inboard (can't remember which system it was for). The radiators took air from a small opening between the engine intake and fuselage.

👍

Thank You Joel and Craig You're gentle.

Ok guys You have to know that Craig, who knows the Voodoo very well having worked around the airframe for years in Canada, told me that actually the "bullet" was pointy and not ogival!

Even if this is not evident in pictures.

Now my first intention was to left all as it was for the reason already expressed that when the part is positioned at the end of the intake duct nothing could be seen.

But since I'm quite stupid I decided to fix the shape and also I went on modifying other aspects.

This picture describes/synthetizes the work done:

WarHsEs.jpg

P.s.: please forgive me for the orthographic errors it's late night here in Italy. I'm really tired!

So goodnight!

Bye

Giovanni

Edited by Giovanni

Nice efforts Giovanni. I had PM'd you about this because since the detail was as you said almost invisible when looking down the intake even on the real thing. It was referred to the "Dog Cock" and behind it a one time use high pressure accumulator that store enough high pressure are for a single start in the air if needed. I can picture the parts in my mind still but have no pictures of it.

5 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Giovanni,

Nice done correction. At this point I wouldn't expect any less, as your standards just don't waver no matter what the challenge or issue.

Joel

I could not have said it any better. Awesome work!

Thank you nice friends for commenting.

I'll try my best to have a super Voodoo at the end.

Now the small update for today is that the second "horn" is ready:

UmZ75DW.jpg

Here's what you can see from the outside with a direct light:

ZJk6Sz6.jpg

I hope that with a white gloss interior this part could turn a little more visible so to justify my effort.

For the same reason I'm going to try lighter shades of color also for the part.

Tomorrow I'll see after painting.

Now I consider this part complete and I'll go on with some scribing and riveting on the wings before attaching them to the fuselage.

Bye

Giovanni

Giovanni,

they really look quite good.  It does take a really good look to see that the cone isn't straight but curved outwards. This type of detailing will certainly be missed by the casual viewer, but by another modeler, they'll pick it out for sure. 

Joel

• 2 weeks later...

It's just masterful Giovanni. Eagerly awaiting the next installment.

I love F-101s. Built a bunch, even the Matchbox one. You inspire me to do a AMS (Advanced Modeler Ayndrome) build, and I swore those off years ago. 

Cheers,

Chip

Thank You Chip,

the update:

The so called "dog cocks" received paint and decals:

mWInh3m.jpg

They're now positioned well inside the air intakes.

I've been working a while on the wings:

08APEtW.jpg

C4lDZik.jpg

I had to do a lot of re-scribing especially on the lower surface because of the deep sanding.

On the upper side I made new wing fences and added the wing tip low emission formation lights that were missing.

This last pictures show the fuselage area behind the intake splitter plate. Here I made seven holes that will accomodate later the hinges joining splitter plate to fuselage:

qUYUb5s.jpg

Now is time to attach wings to fuselage. A tricky passage: fit is poor here and wings a little bended downwards

Bye

Giovanni

Giovanni,

The bullets look fantastic once painted and decaled. The continued attention to adding all those small details to the wings will really pay big dividends as your build continues to reach new heights.

Joel

This airframe is getting a complete overhaul, great to see. The underside of wings from many kit manufacturers seem to get overlooked but you are doing a great rescue job.

The wing fences were quite thin so good idea to remove them and add thinner ones.

Thank You Joel, Craig, Peter for watching and leaving your kind comments.

Well I'm really glad to tell that the wing/fuselage joining proved to be successful in the end.

I had to squeeze the model under an heavy weight so testing the maximum structural G-factor of the airframe which proved to be sturdy as the real one!

MPJIzPM.jpg

puSscu9.jpg

After about 4/5 hours all was ok with just a minimum seam and no wings bendings:

Q9eK3Wc.jpg

yf3O3xK.jpg

Beside this the dihedral was finally correct so compliments to Revell engineers.

Then with pieces of copper wires ciano-glued to the holes I had previously drilled on fuselage I made the splitter plates reinforcements/hinges:

ebmh8cX.jpg

ikdXGGM.jpg

rFdfDpD.jpg

In the meantime I also built for my nephew an Airfix Vampire T.11 You can see in the display case:

Bye, soon more updates

Giovanni