F-101b Vodoo Revell 1/72

Thank You all guys You're really kind with me!

Today's update:

While dry fitting the stabilizers I decided to give a fix to the tail area.

There's a plate here that should rotate together with the stabilizer.

The kit isn't really accurate here and the detail was excessive so I made some scratch.

The stabilizers are always drooped on a parked plane so I take it into account while positioning the plates.

rd2tKxS.jpg

3oZCIMn.jpg

sUuaFOX.jpg

That's all for the moment. It's hot in here for our hobby and I'm proceeding a bit slowly. Sorry.

Giovanni  

Thank You Joel, thank You Craig for nice picture!

I spent at least three days to adapt the nose cone to fuselage! It has been thinned and little reshaped. At the end of the work I had to re-scribe some panels.

Here You can see the result with the nice pitot from Master company in place:

ZBDwnVN.jpg

f40AeFd.jpg

I also added an aerial to the fin leading edge. This is no always present but my subject 70308 has got it.

iqco70Y.jpg

Now I will switch to windscreen and canopy detailing and masking in order to have fuselage and all the main parts ready for being primed and painted. Smaller external details and undercarriage will come later.

Bye

Giovanni  

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You Peter and Gianni!

Today's update:

I added to the wings no less than 3.000 rivets (in reality screws).

ROOfNVy.jpg

CDwSqM4.jpg

tkXqX2p.jpg

tTPU4eN.jpg

The canopy and windscreen received a polishing treatment:

6j2ssW2.jpg

gXprUuX.jpg

They were riveted as well and masked to receive the first layer of color. I started from the yellow sealant.

Now I have to mask them again in prevision of painting with the ADC Grey.

I chose not to add the interior detail now in order to paint them positioned on the fuselage.

GYz8GIW.jpg

dmI1EAJ.jpg  

That's all for the moment.

Bye

Giovanni

Giovanni,

fantastic job!!!!

How you riveted the model?

On my MiG-21 I used four different riveters,but I'm afraid that are too"weak",not enough deep and crisp...and can't be visible after the painting!

Gianni

Have to copy Joel!

Micro Midgets in shifts, hope you pay them a good salary😃

I used to do 1/87 scale train, building loco's. Now having trouble seeing 1/48 scale without magnification.

Hats off!

Kind regards,

Robert Jan 

Giovanni, I just discovered this thread and your work, your scratch building, is remarkable! Whether it's 1/32, 1/48, this is spectacular! But because it's, in your case, the tiny itsy-bitsy 1/72, this is even more gorgeous to look at!

Your attention to the smallest details, even those tucked into the intakes, your rivet making ... oh ... my ... gosh!

More than a few posts, my jaw kept dropping and hitting my table top!

Take your time, don't break any more bones and keep doing what you're doing!

As a few others have said ... WOW!!

Thank you!!   :thumbsup:

Pete

First a BIG THANK YOU to all of you friends supporting this project!

In this fase in which the initial enthusiasm has naturally faded and every fase is little boring your support is much welcomed.

Today's update…

this week end I made the identification lamp from scratch, painted it and placed inside its vane.

Then I made also from scratch a new window masked it and attached with vinylic glue.

On both side of the fuselage I engraved the little widows allowing ground personnel to take a look at some indicators without opening the whole panel (orange arrows- on opposite side they were in a different position see next one picture).

AK7W0xn.jpg

ko3AO4M.jpg

300PjBf.jpg

The canopy and windscreen had been masked again:

voWZZnl.jpg

In this precise moment the situation is the one depicted in the following picture with air intakes and main wheel bays masked while I'm working on flaps interiors. Then I have to do the same on nose wheel bay. So I'm not far for the paint job but this is an activity which i really don't like!!!

NoOBpcZ.jpg

Bye, thank you for following this.

Giovanni

Edited by Giovanni
25 minutes ago, Parabat said:

What an epic build! What was the finest grit paper you used to polish the canopy?

Thank you Parabat.

Unfortunately I just had a 1.500 sand paper so I had to work a lot with polishing paste then.

Ideal is to start with a 1.000 then 1.500 and as a last stage with 2.000.

And then switching to polishing compounds/pastes. Here also You can use different grades but I think the finishing one will work as well. It's just a matter of patience.

I used the one from Tamya (compound finish).

The last passage was washing off all with a mild soap and wiping with a very clean and soft cotton cloth.

Some very really fine scratches are already visible on mine (with a loupe) but I think are appropriate for the scale.

I mean that a too shiny canopy is unrealistic in 1/72 and could be acceptable only on larger scales.

Hope this helps. I'm not a very expert on this so If anyone would suggest something better we're here to learn!

Bye

Giovanni     

This is making my head spin. 

I was searching for 1/72 build threads to inspire me to return to the scale I used to love most. This thread is inspiring, but also overwhelming. I don't think I can do this level of work, but this is the level I want. 

7 minutes ago, RKic said:

This is making my head spin. 

I was searching for 1/72 build threads to inspire me to return to the scale I used to love most. This thread is inspiring, but also overwhelming. I don't think I can do this level of work, but this is the level I want. 

Hello RKic,

I have the same feeling when I look at what Gabor is doing with the Eduard mig-21MF:

If you added 3000 rivets to an 1/72 model, then for my 1/48 T-2 Buckeye, I guess I'll need more than 10000!!! NOT, no way I'm not that crazy!!!

Of course, there is always the option now that you've got the hang of it Giovanni, to send you my T-2 to do all the riveting!!!😎🤩