F-101b Vodoo Revell 1/72

Sometimes big projects need that extra push to complete. Your work is outstanding.

The small round windows on the side panels are for checking the hydraulics systems, the lifeblood of any aircraft. 

The Revell/Monogram kits again for their age still show superiority, as the outlines of the canopy  and windscreens are excellent when compared to the upscaled Kitty Hawk release.

Hello dear modelers and friends I'm happy to announce that finally my Voodoo got its primer!

Yesterday evening I finished the masking work and also attached the new plasticard fences to wings.

I used the excellent Mr. Hobby Mr. Surfacer of the 1200 grade heavily diluted with Mr. color thinner 110.

93l5t9E.jpg

5u5TGJ6.jpg

I enthusiastically see the effect of a smooth surface on the previously patchworked fuselage.

Moreover I can now appreciate all the riveting and detailing added.

dXtcoUo.jpg

Laz8Vrf.jpg

cVGrN75.jpg

7BgvYP0.jpg

FDjvLqq.jpg

gd8lPEC.jpg

It's now time for sanding the surface with a grain 2.000 wet sand paper.

Some test had been done on the ADC grey as well but I'll wait 'till tomorrow morning for the paint job becose now it's late afternoon here in Italy and the light condition is not ideal.

If I have some spare time I'll use it for a light pre-shade.

I'll do it only on some precise and limited areas because I'm not a fun of this technique which in my opinion is not always realistic especially if it's overdone.

Let's see, I hope not to delude You since as a detailer I can say I'm an expert while for what concerns painting… well not so much!

Thank You and Bye Giovanni

On 9/7/2018 at 4:50 AM, SERNAK said:

My suggestion would be to avoid the pre-shading. It doesn't add to a build.

I second this!  All that being said, I have to again compliment you on your craftsmanship.   Can't believe this is all in 72nd scale.  Looks like it's a much larger model.  Forgive me if I missed it but which specific aircraft are you modeling?  USAF or Canadian?  

Edited by 11bee
On 9/6/2018 at 6:00 PM, Giovanni said:

I enthusiastically see the effect of a smooth surface on the previously patchworked fuselage.

Moreover I can now appreciate all the riveting and detailing added.

The primed surface looks fantastic... There’s nothing more to say. Looking forward for the paint work @Giovanni 👍

Cheers! 🙂

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 8:27 PM, Slartibartfast said:

A 111th FIS/147th FW aircraft based at Ellington Field southeast of Houston.  Unless Giovanni changes his mind…

That's correct my subject would be 570308.

So dear friends...

After a period of total silence due to a full immersion on the subject here a quite long update:

First for the Joy of SERNAK and 11bee I avoided the use of the pre-shade technique.

Before starting with the ADC grey I painted the low emission formation stripes with a very pale yellow (custom mix of colors) and the fiberglass dielectric panels under the nose (also a custom mix). On the latter I also tested a weathering technique as You can see on the following pictures:

8YhWTGH.jpg

kJGgc1J.jpg

Then I masked the formation stripes and the dielectric panels and started painting with ADC.

Here I should speak for a while…

Let me say that Mr Hobby H57 isn't the right colour (at all!!!! Totally wrong: has a yellowish basis that turns green as you try to fix it adding some blue)

I found to be a good basis Mr Hobby H61 instead. This is a little too dark and misses the light blue reflex.

So my mix had been 66% H61 (IJN Grey), 33% H1 (gloss white), 1% XF-18 (medium blue).

The last is from the Tamiya brand and is flat but due to the very little quantity it doesn't matter.

I had to thank Joel for suggesting the use of this particular shade of blue.

Good alternative is the Lifecolor UA 041 ( just a little too light to me and too bluish, but convincing).

Lifecolor are tricky to use because dry as fast as lightnings. But they work if You use its specific thinner.

And if you take a little break You have to wash the needle edge with some alcool before proceeding. 

Another very good alternative (but enamel!) should be Model Master 1731E aircraft grey. I got mine but find it was a little greenish instead of bluish. Tested and checked with an f-106a a friend of mine did some time ago and found the color being little different his being correct mine not much. Possibly on old pot? In the end not bad but I preferred to do my own mix.

So I sprayed the mix very thinned proceeding panel by panel to break the monotony of the flat surface.

Here some pictures, it was a very silky surface at this stage:    

ZLzEMBI.jpg

RLT3PkR.jpg

The day after I gave a quite heavy hand of gloss (AK interactive RC502) and removed the masks on anti-collision lights and dielectrics:

txqPiSa.jpg

3XXxRrs.jpg

fFWlfCU.jpg

qbytEBu.jpg

I carefully removed the masks also from the air intakes at this point:

wSJ4dAO.jpg

Today I've done other good things but I'll show you later!

Bye, thank you for finding time for leaving comments on this

Giovanni

Edited by Giovanni

Ok, let's go on with updates.

So yesterday I worked on the "no step areas" above each air intake duct.

The kit offers a very good decal for these even if it's a little bit shorter in length than it should be.

But the point was that even a thin decal could cover all the fine riveting I had done so I took the decision to reproduce the area by painting it as in the real airframe.

This allowed me also to give it the right length and to conform it better to the panel lines.

So I started masking them:

dqP2Q0a.jpg

Then I placed the basis color wich is FS 36375 Mr Hobby H308 slightly lightened with white:

D60kcnD.jpg

v5gxclM.jpg

Then I switched to the black demarcation stripes masking line by line and using a flat black instead of a gloss one. Here durning the process:

FjXfGHp.jpg

And here's the neat result just missing the no step inscriptions:

l5a1MZP.jpg

IySOLVW.jpg

IgVZr15.jpg

Rivets and demarcation lines are safe for the weathering this way.

I'm really satisfied on how they turned out.

Bye

Giovanni

On 9/9/2018 at 11:42 AM, Slartibartfast said:

Negative.  ADC gray.

800px-111th_Fighter_Interceptor_Squadron

I took a few photos of this one a few years back at Dyess AFB, TX.

image_zpsvguquath.jpeg

I love the VooDoo. The kit your build was the first model I ever built as a kid, definitely not this detailed though. I’m really enjoying watching this build. Keep up the amazing work.

Thank You Matthew for stopping and leaving your post. I love the Voodoo too of course there's one in Germany if I have the occasion I'd like to take a visit.

Today's update:

Last weekend I worked on the titanium tail area. I used the AK xtreme metal range (laquers).

After masking the area I first spryed ak 471 black base and after some hours the AK 669 titanium.

This is not too dark so allows you to add shades of darker colors as I have done on the panels to create a more realistic effect.

For doing these I used a mix a black and brown laquers very thinned and used a free hand mask.

In fact some went wrong with the primer and the use of adhesive masks proved to damage the surface brightness.

Probably I sprayed a too thick layer of primer and once I gave the titanium it wasn't totally dried.

Recently I've done an airfix vampire and used the primer without any issue.

The lesson learned is that You have to prepare the surface very well and doing so the black primer isn't necessary.

If You want to use it then You have to spray just a thin layer and leave it dry very well before adding the color over it.

Here two pics for you. the weathering is not complete.

A side note: you can do the weathering with oil and white spirit or with water based colours

Enamel thinners and Acetone based thinners (ie Mr. color thinner 110) will dissolve your job! So take care.

jMjUnaj.jpg

GcW8xfZ.jpg

Bye

Giovanni 

Thank You Craig,

I'll take it into account while weathering!

Now the update.

I've started decaling!

The kit decals are very good even if are quite thick.

Anyway some imprecisions are present here and there.

The wing "USAF" decals for exemple have been printed sliced in two piece to meet the wing fence. But the angle is incorrect as you can see on the following picture:

fVgUrS4.jpg

What you see is also my solution to the problem: I've sliced to the correct angle and position the other USAF decal (the one for the bottom of the wing) and placed on the upper wing.

The sliced kit decal had been used for the undersurface, instead. The seam will be fixed later using a 00 brush and some black colour.

BVX5v2M.jpg

I also found some discrepancies between kit stencils and the real subject.

Here for instance I had to made a custom job to reproduce an inscription that is offered in black letters on decal sheet:

ZC17oaU.jpg

vrYQwo5.jpg

KO8ejmV.jpg

This is expansive in terms of time but will produce a more realistic model and moreover even if using the kit decals the model will be different from all others built from the same kit.

I'll keep you updated since the job goes on.

Bye

Giovanni  

Giovanni,

What a huge update my friend. Each step was done with your exact/precise style, and the end results certainly show your efforts to be well worth it. The no step areas are simply amazing, as there isn't a single issue. Same for the anti glare panel. The fix for the USAF looks really good, but I'm curious to see how hand painting the touch ups will match the decals, and fool the viewers eyes.  In my case, just my one good eye is all you have to fool.

Joel

Dear Joel dear CO thank You for your appreciations.

Here's the touched up decal.

Not perfect but it's ok.

I took my own risk by masking over it and using the airbrush instead of the brush.

A coat of gloss blended all.

It5AHJD.jpg

Soon more updates since the decaling is going on.

Bye

Giovanni