F-101b Vodoo Revell 1/72

Hi, Giovanni.

I'm quite out of my comfort zone here, but I have followed your build in silence and admiring your skills.

Now I want to let you know how much I appreciate those details on the landing gears. I think they are the "hi end" of modelling.

A big thank to you for sharing your jewel with us.

Best regards

Euge

Edited by 72linerlover
typo

Hello friends,

first thank you Euge and Craig for nice words. I'm happy you like this build.

I have another little update:

I've added a 0,25x0,5 mm (0,010"x0,020") stripe below each main door:

GDQJwVk.jpg

The twin data link antenna below aft part of right engine was not present on the airframe I've chosen after 1980 so I had obliterated it accordingly:

1EYvvuO.jpg

I made navigation lights on wing tips and tail with the vacuform technique. On wings the colour had been put in the inner part to give better brightness:

70Gvi0K.jpg

4frQkHj.jpg

5mqH12g.jpg

Tonight I added the missing details to the interior of the burner cans (2 spoilers and 8+8 petal actuators):

k8iA9Gu.jpg

w6FYuNf.jpg

I also made some new antennas that I'll show you next time.

Not much but the end is closer anyway!

Thank you for encouraging me with your comments

Bye

Giovanni 

You have the eye for detail. Your beautiful workmanship gets me digging through old photos and I will take this opportunity to share with you and the other followers.

J2eUYMK.jpg

dhMwncp.jpg

THEGOPC.jpg

T1ac7lR.jpg

vRG1096.jpg

They are all scans from prints and the colour on a few are off but the details are still there. Note on 101057 the yellow object mounted on the armament door, I don't remember what it was for.

This has been a great ride down memory lane for me, and you provided a classic for it.

Cheers

Craig

54 minutes ago, Craig Baldwin said:

You have the eye for detail. Your beautiful workmanship gets me digging through old photos and I will take this opportunity to share with you and the other followers

Thank You Craig for the photos and the nice words. You gave a great contribution to the community with unique images.

I hope this could inspire other modelers to  do the same kit.

In Canadian livery it would be very nice.

Many thanks to Startibartfast and Nikolay too for leaving their comments.

Bye

Giovanni 

The yellow object is a MSR - McDonnell Simulator Rocket, it gathered all sorts of info. The data it gathered went on a film print. On the Falcon side was a WSEM - Weapon System Evaluator Missile it was blue and the data it got went on a roll like a film cartridge

Jari

8 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Awesome photos, @Craig Baldwin!

I sawed a lot of F-101B (or even the RF-101C) pictures with the only one drop tank attached - looks like it’s a common practice, isn’t it?

Cheers!

Yes very common, I think it achieved a better fuel used/range ratio than with both tanks.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 10:45 PM, Tripio said:

Hello Giovanni,

Exceptional.

You've made justice to the One-oh-Wonder.

Your build is saved as future reference for my own build.

Regards,Laz

Hello Laz, thank You!

Revell kit has the potential for doing this!

Anyway a new mold would be necessary since there are several issues in the kit.

First some detailed pictures of the lowered flaps. The original attachment points had been removed so the alignment had been trickier.

Earlier in the build I did a lot of dry fitting tests and placed some holes as a reference so in the end all went smoot in here.

Here a picture I took time ago in which you can see the original simplified attachment points just removed:

RNBUOgM.jpg

Here You can see the new ones:

o00hd92.jpg

The voodoo flaps had a complex deploy mechanism. It was hinged on four points and operated by an hydraulic actuator:

OxCXYKE.jpg

2NEhija.jpg

A plause to Revell who did an excellent detailed job here!

Yesterday evening I attached the emergency arrestor hook together with some antennae:

h6SS4rp.jpg

ktM3on7.jpg

D4RlRg0.jpg

The red light on last picture should be replaced by a vacu-formed one. Let's see … because I'm thinking at new projects. Here I've already spent much energy I think.

So what's missing out?

Two small pitots for the nose sides and an AOA sensor!

Much of the work remains for the cockpit interior.

I need HELP in here!

IF YOU HAVE PICTURES OF THE CENTRAL BRACET EXPECIALLY WERE IT MEETS THE REAR COCKPIT PANEL I'll be really pleased to take a look.

The hinging point remains a mystery to me.

And also the function of all this assembly since the canopy acuator is at the back of radar operator seat as you can see (sorry to the owner for borrowing it)!

iNc1WYZ.jpg

So thank you if you can help!

Bye

Giovanni

Edited by Giovanni

I don't really have anything different in photos that show any better. The larger cylindrical shaft back of the pilot seat was the jettison mechanism for the canopy and the below it, out of view behind the pilot seat was an electrical  motor that raised and lowered the canopy. Behind the radar operator rear seat, the small shaft is part of an accumulator in assisting raising and lowering of the canopy. 

This is all going from memory. We removed the canopy a few times and the large shaft behind the pilot seat needed to be safetied.

The arresting hook was nothing more than a large spring, a special tool was used to raise it, normally after an engine change. To lower it, they just pressed the release button in the cockpit and look out! It was released onto a large rubber mat. 

Sorry I could not be of more help. 

All great details and beautiful workmanship.

Craig

Hi, Giovanni.

I can suggest to enter in touch with Ron Downey, a retired Douglas engineer.

He runs a beautiful blog with lots of technical documentation. http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/

You can make a search typing "vodoo" or even contact via email.

Always enjoying your excellent build.

Bye

Euge

Hi guys let me thank you all for your help about the canopy detail.

Dear Craig, your precise description of the subject together with a new consciousness on how it worked gave me a new sight for it.

So I checked again all the available pictures and also some new I found following Euge's suggestion about exploring aviationarchives blogspot.

Even if I couldn't find a good detailed picture I've found some low-res ones and some others in which the electrical motor is partially visible and I think I can now do a decent replica of all the mechanism.

Beside this that will probably be the work for the weekend I have to announce that the airframe is externally complete since tonight I made the last missing bits:

Angle of attack sensor…

tWSTJEq.jpg

Small side pitots (I think so but I'm not sure. Some source reports these are also A o A sensors but according to me they aren't)...  

17ehvJn.jpg

I'll show You also a rare picture I found of the pointy "dog cock". If you go back on page 5 you'll understand.

Use this as a reference if you want to improve the parts of the Revell kit. What I've personally done at the time was just based on Baldwin's description of it. 

9zRrvFP.jpg

Thank you all for the support and kind messages!

Giovanni  

Edited by Giovanni
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 6:05 AM, Major Walt said:

You’ve set the standard for 1/72 scale! Beautiful!

Thank You Major Walt!

Hi all, gents!

The canopy is complete!

wkIY3qy.jpg

psjnUwa.jpg

ftzU52a.jpg

QGrTIYh.jpg

And the model too.

Soon some more pics in the display case sub-forum.

h4pHFvI.jpg

Thank You for supporting me and help developing this project.

As usual it has started as a fast build and then turned in a much complex job.

I'm really happy about the result.

As I said at the beginning of the build this kit has a great potential and is joyful in the end.

I wish to express my gratitude especially to Mr Craig Baldwin for all the precious suggestions and for sharing original and unpublished photographic material.

I hope this build could be an inspiration for other modelers. I would like to see many other Voodoos in different livery!

So now it's your time!

Next project is going to be an f-4D Phantom from north dakota ANG Happy Hooligans, Hasegawa 1/72 scale.

So see you again soon.

Bye

Giovanni 

Edited by Giovanni

Congratulations on staying on course and finishing this kit with such perfect detail. It was my pleasure to contribute what I could to your efforts and others enjoyment.

So many small details added, many great memories for me.

A NODAK F-4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I was very fortunate to visit that unit at Hector Field in the 1980's and photograph. Which paint scheme?

9DeBEn2.jpg?1

Looking forward to more from you, Giovanni.

Cheers

Craig