ARC Discussion Forums

This is 1/72 revell 03208.

The detail is exquisite, probably one of the best in 72nd scale revell's that i've build (and i build many) so far. i can not comment on the accuracy since i am unfamiliar with the vehicle tho. As you can see all the pioneer tools are separate parts, eventho it was a bit tricky the plastic is very good and forgiving which helps a lot with the cutting and cleaning - still being careful and having a healthy nipper is a must at these sizes (it's mere 10.7cm in length).

The running gear is extremely detailed but i left it's assy after the paintjob and wx stages due to the cramped space there i fear i might not get in. btw after searching the net for ref shots decided the paintjob will be bundeswehr ral 6014 gelboliv, not 3 tone nato. i am meaning to make it into a vignette over this piece of wood.

5YkjAsxh.jpg

BWIaBhGh.jpg

Good start!

I´m not sure if the Gelboliv-versions (which would be the older version of the Luchs) need to have the big searchlight mounted parallel to the gun. Later versions had night-sights, but the older ones relied on the searchlight for night operations. I´m not sure during which timeframe that changed and when they started using the 3-tone-camoflage.

HAJO

Hajo hello

i compared the a1 and a2 differences from takom's 1/35 luchs instruction manual and the only thing i noticed was indeed the vision port like thingie atop the turret: their difference is quite distinct which is something that i can't replicate so it'll have to do. :/

btw i am thinking of starting off with tamiya xf51 khaki drab for the base color, if you have any recommendations for a tamiya mix i'm all ears.

cheers, murad.

I´m sorry, but I have no experience with Tamiya-colors. I always use Revell and have some experience with Humbrol.

HAJO

I haven't finished it, but I assembled Revell's 1/35 scale version of this.  Judging from that, and their 1/72 Fuchs, I'm guessing your Luchs has a zillion parts.  But I really like Revell's kit, and look forward to getting it painted up.  

On 10/14/2017 at 1:09 PM, Hajo L. said:

...I´m not sure during which timeframe that changed and when they started using the 3-tone-camoflage.

Before the end of the Cold War the Bundeswehr was painting Luchs in 3-color NATO-flage.  But through the 1980s, there were probably units in Gelboliv, too.  In the Tankograd Cold War volumes, it appears that Panzeraufklärungsbataillon 1 units taking part in the CERTAIN STRIKE exercise of 1987 might have had both finishes.  A 3-color Luchs also appears as part of the referee team in the "Kecker Spatz" Franco-German exercise of that year.

On 10/15/2017 at 10:14 AM, murad said:

btw i am thinking of starting off with tamiya xf51 khaki drab for the base color, if you have any recommendations for a tamiya mix i'm all ears.

I haven't done it yet, but I was going to experiment with using Tamiya's Olive Drab (XF-62) as the darkest shade, and then gradually lighten it with their Dark Yellow (XF-60) and White through the mid ranges and highlights.   (In the past I painted Gelboliv with Testors enamels.)

Edited by Fishwelding

paintjob (khaki drab > a lot of oil paint filters) and detail work is complete, dust and the vignette base remains. was a lovely kit to build, took me this long due to real life as usual otherwise would be a true weekend build.

IMG_01097c006f1ad28503d9.md.jpg
IMG_0110e538a845a67f20b9.md.jpg

Looking good so far. This kit is a real gem, and you make it "pop"...

nice work so far

2 hours ago, Silenoz said:

Looking good so far. This kit is a real gem, and you make it "pop"...

nice work so far

thank you Silenoz, indeed it's a sweet kit and this was completed couple of months ago, final shots here: