1/32 Revell (Matchbox) DH 82a

This is the old Matchbox kit as boxed by Revell. Markings are No 5 Glider Training School RAF in 1943. 

I added some wire & tubing bits to the engine to make it more believable so I could display the cowling open. The kit offers a very basic engine but it is a good starting point and generally accurate in shape and look for the Gypsy Major. I added lead foil belts with eduard buckles to the interior and made an upper cushion/headrest from millput. I added some random PE bits to the interior to busy it up a little and some EZ line to show some of the internal rigging.  I thinned down the edges of all the cowling pieces so they appeared more in scale.

Kit decals were used. They worked fine. It's funny though there are a bunch of DH 82 decals available in 1/48 scale but the only kit I know of is Merit/Smer and it's horrible but the Matchbox kit is pretty nice and their is nothing available in 1/32....go figure right. 

Fun fact, the yellow is actually decanted Rustoleum spray paint from Home Depot. I was going to use Tamiya yellow but it was no where near orangey enough compared to the decal for the fuselage. I had a can of Sunset Orange paint in the basement from a project int he yard and it seemed a perfect match and the New Hampshire Yankee in me decided that the cheap was THE way to go. It actually worked just fine aside from smelling horrid. 

Rigging is done with EZ-line. Ok here is the point where I give mad cred to the hardcore bipliners on the boards. I bought some Albion alloys tubing, .6mm diameter/.4mm internal diameter, which is actually a size up from what is recommended and It was my intention to rig with this and monofiliment. I dutifully set my eyes (made from beading wire) and then went to thread my tubing and I NEARLY WENT BLIND.....haha. I could barely thread the mono through once much less double back and thread it again. This was going to be the biplane where I moved away from EZ-line but my sanity was tested and failed trying to use the tube and monofiliment. Clearly I need to work on this more.......

iPHhisH.jpg
f7NzjdI.jpg
sNTre9N.jpg
iHiqOJj.jpg
mBwA2D4.jpg

Zach

Oh, be still my heart :thumbsup2:

I have a complete jones for golden era aircraft, and the DH82 is pretty much top of the heap for me!  As you note, the only 1/48 DH82 is universally described as horrible. I have an Amodel 1/48 DH60M and Planet Models 1/48 DH85--they'll have to do...

10 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Oh, be still my heart :thumbsup2:

I have a complete jones for golden era aircraft, and the DH82 is pretty much top of the heap for me!  As you note, the only 1/48 DH82 is universally described as horrible. I have an Amodel 1/48 DH60M and Planet Models 1/48 DH85--they'll have to do...

Those AModel Moth's always looked like pretty nice kits. I've wanted to grab one but they are a little pricey. If you''ve not snatched one of the new Revell Stearrman then you ought to they are beautiful kits and there are some really nice decal sheets for them available. 

Thanks for the compliments on the Tiger Moth. It was a fun build and I would say if you have a chance to grab either the Revell Boxing or an original Matchbox one then go for it. It's npot all that big in large scale and it builds pretty easily. 

Zach

Now that's nice :thumbsup:! Elegant aircraft for a simpler time. You did a great job on her! This kit has been on my want list for a while but I just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.

Well done!

Don