Smelly resin concern

I'm building the 1/48 Tamiya F-14 utilizing the KASL Hobby wing set that includes dropped flaps and slats.  

Out if the box you can clearly smell a strong chemical odor coming off the parts.  Once cleaned with a degreaser (Simple Green) and regular Dove dish washing soap the odor was less.  However, the smell is there if you get close to the parts. 

Im concerned that the continued off-gassing of polymerization process will one day damage the paint and markings on the model. Am I alone all this and creating a hysterical scenario that lies only in my imagination?

Super-easy kit to build so far.  So easy that it should only be allowed to compete against other Tamiya F-14s (and Egg Planes) at contests.  

Thats it!

Chris

Hi Chris,

A very valid concern, indeed. I, too, have the Tamiya Tomcat AND  the KASL flap/slat set and your post has got me to thinking. I also have a lot of the KASL F-35 correction stuff and it ALL has that characteristic chemical smell. My plan? I'm going to thoroughly wash them and then let them sit in indirect sun for about a month. Then, I'll  re wash and primer them with thinned automotive primer. Hopefully this will arrest any further out gassing. I do think you have a very valid concern especially if your using acrylics, lacquers, and particularly, enamels. Most resins are petroleum based and any aromatic  out gassing could potentially afflict the finish. Will let you know how it works out! (Wish Tamiya had just included the dropped flaps/ slats option to begin with!). In a similiar venue, about 35 years ago, I built the Hasegawa 1/32 Me-262. It had, at the time, novel vinyl tires one could substitute for the plastic ones. I elected to use them and to my dismay, six months later, the wheel hubs and struts had turned to butter from the out gassing of uncured  rubber or vinyl. I hope this  doesn't repeat itself with the KASL stuff!

Respectfully,

afoxbat

I couldnt be sure but I would guess it hasnt cured properly.
It can happen when it isnt mixed properly, the resin inside the part might not be mixed and if not it will never cure, it will always have that smell, the outside of the part is just a hard shell.

Shoot off an email to the manufacturer explaining the problem, see what they say.

23 hours ago, swimmer25k said:

Out if the box you can clearly smell a strong chemical odor coming off the parts.  Once cleaned with a degreaser (Simple Green) and regular Dove dish washing soap the odor was less.  However, the smell is there if you get close to the parts.

Older Verlinden resin had a distinctive gasoline-like smell, and there was nothing wrong with it, that's just how it came. Maybe it can be traced back to whether it was (is) a TDI or MDI-based polyurethane resin. How would you describe the odor?

Rob