CT-133 Cockpit Colours

Am I correct in saying that everything was black, except in the early 70's when the instrument panels were painted a medium gray; 36231? I am starting my GWH kit and it's going to be a camouflaged bird in the 80's. Yes I have all the vents intakes sorted out :) Also, wheel wells, were they interior green or silver by the 80's?

TIA

Brad 

Brad, cockpit was black except for the grey intrument panel.  I was in a wheel well in the 80s and it was yellow zinc chromate, but they could be  painted aluminum as well.

sadly, miles away from my desktop, loaded with reference pics.

Tony

Hi Brad,

I didn't start working on the CT-133 until 1989 but at that time the landing gear, doors and wells were all painted silver. The photo references I have indicate the wells were silver in the early 80's too.

Cheers,

John

Brad, very early, we had the spoked wheels.  We also had the wheels with oval/teardrop holes.   Problem is, wheel detail is always in shadow in photos, so it’s hard to tell when the wheel types changed.  I have no quality T-33 maintenance time, so must bow to other SMEs.

Cheers, Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a

Hey Brad,

The spoked main wheels in the kit are correct for only the earliest of the T-33's prior to USAF S/N 49-985 which include only the first 134 Lockheed produced T-33A's. Our initial 31 T-33's (30 Mk 1 and 1 Mk 2 Nene test bed) were loaners from the USAF and were in the 50 to 51 S/N range which had the 8 hole main wheel and open teardrop nose wheel.

All Canadair produced T-33AN Silver Star Mk 3's were delivered with the spoked nose wheel and 8 hole main wheels. The open teardrop nose wheel could be seen from time to time in the mid-late 50's as there was stock remaining from the USAF loaners and it was acceptable to use if the spoked wheel was not available.  The 8 hole main wheel was replaced by the improved 12 hole wheel/brake assy. in the late 70's. This 12 hole wheel looks very similar to the F-104A/B/C/D main wheels but these have 9 holes instead of 12.

Cheers,

John

• 1 month later...

I'd like to resurrect this thread in search for a pic of the side of the wheel that is covered by the gear door. I have pics of the side showing the 12 hole side. Maybe we can get someone to do some 1/48 scale wheels for us Canucks :)

TIA

Brad 

On 11/22/2017 at 11:31 PM, Brad-M said:

I'd like to resurrect this thread in search for a pic of the side of the wheel that is covered by the gear door. I have pics of the side showing the 12 hole side. Maybe we can get someone to do some 1/48 scale wheels for us Canucks :)

TIA

Brad 

I wish someone will produce one, I can take pictures next time I am at the museum, we have two t-birds. I am on one of the boards there. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Great news, My GWH Late T-33A arrived today and the kit has the 12-hole main wheels in the box. They look great, so I can finish my CT-133 hopefully for the Nationals in Phoenix.

Cheers

Brad

1 hour ago, Brad-M said:

Great news, My GWH Late T-33A arrived today and the kit has the 12-hole main wheels in the box. They look great, so I can finish my CT-133 hopefully for the Nationals in Phoenix.

Cheers

Brad

Good to know🤪!

1 hour ago, Brad-M said:

Cheers

Brad

Does it have the two dielectric panels on the nose? Ours only had the top one. Late ANG and USAF had both.

Does it have two pitot tubes instead of one under the nose?

One pitot, one small antenna before the nose gear, and one larger antenna just aft of the nose gear. Two dielectric panels. All the GWH T-33A kits (three) have the two panels on the nose.

Cheers

Brad

Edited by Brad-M