CD72077 - 1/72 SAC B-52G/H

30 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

Thanks for the consideration. I hesitated to ask because I know what it's like to get "requests" for things. I found out they flew KC-135R's as well if you ever do another R sheet. Niagara Falls would be a cool one as well. See, there I go again! :rolleyes:

All we can do is ask, and if anything Kursad has shown to be extremely receptive to decal requests! That's part of what makes his company and products unique and appealing.:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Hooker169 said:

All we can do is ask, and if anything Kursad has shown to be extremely receptive to decal requests! That's part of what makes his company and products unique and appealing.:thumbsup:

I'll agree completely with that!

• 1 month later...

whoa! looks like it was done by Cutting Edge before, though. It would probably be too big for the 72nd scale sheet, but might end up on a 1/144 version in the future.

31867745701_261b3c41df_o.jpg

Edited by KursadA
  • 2 months later...

Kursad, with the recently announced success of your B-52H sheet, has this G/H sheet gained traction? If so, I assume a 1/144 scaled sister sheet is also on the horizon?

I know you're busy, just curious.

6 hours ago, Hooker169 said:

Kursad, with the recently announced success of your B-52H sheet, has this G/H sheet gained traction? If so, I assume a 1/144 scaled sister sheet is also on the horizon?

I know you're busy, just curious.

This sheet has all the traction it ever needs, I just need to keep working on it to finish the artwork. I will release it before the end of the year.

It is a bit early to start talking about a 1/144 version - I just released the B-52H sheet in the same scale; but I am sure I will eventually scale the SAC sheet down.

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Dutch said:

I would like to see B-52G 59-2580 "Miss Piggy" of the 340th BS, 97th BW, Blytheville AFB, AR circa 1980 at RAF Fairford, UK bomb comp. 

004.JPG

Closer look at the tail art.

Miss Piggy 1981

Hmmm. Look at the nose art.

We might have to dig deeper on this one, boys...

Further reading finds that this scheme was Blytheville's Bomb Comp aircraft in 1981 but an FB-111 unit (509th) won that year. The 97th didn't win the Fairchild Trophy at "Proud Shield" until 1985 soooo,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Boeing B-52G  92580 "Miss Piggy" from Blytheville AFB

Edited by Hooker169
added info

I have located a b&w photo on page 46 of the Osprey Combat Aircraft Series  by  Lindsay Peacock showing upper wing and right side of tail. If i can just get it under the 102 kb cap, I will upload it. 

[Note, I scanned it at the lowest resolution, then cropped it to just below 100kb.  I can send a higher resolution scan to anyone who wants it.]

Capture7.JPG

Edited by Dutch

32 minutes ago, Dutch said:

While the 97th BW may not have won the SAC Bomb Comp in 1981, I think they won the RAF Bomb Comp in 1980.  

I think you know where I’m going with this, Dutch. Most squadrons would mark a Bomb Comp win by painting some celebratory artwork on the jet. I think that’s what we have here. If we can figure out what Comp they won, such as you suggested, maybe we can find a clear pic.

I grew up about 15 miles from Blytheville AFB and lived a couple of miles from it just before I moved to Michigan in that time frame.  I sure wished I had the foresight to get a good camera and take some photos.  I used to sit at the end of the runway and watch them do touch and goes......oh well.  

A test B-52H landed at Blytheville without the vertical tail....it would make a great diorama...any thoughts on markings for it?  (you wouldn't have to worry about the tail markings)....

http://worldofaviation.net/b-52-emergency-landing-flight-without-a-tail-fin/#

Edited by fasteagle12
On 7/6/2018 at 12:23 PM, Drifterdon said:

Canadian_F-101B_intercepting_B-52G_1980.jpeg

Looks like a 97th Bomb Wing crest on right side up front.

Awesome pic, classic Cold War.  Is it me or does that BUFF have its rear guns locked into those voodoos?  

3 hours ago, 11bee said:

Awesome pic, classic Cold War.  Is it me or does that BUFF have its rear guns locked into those voodoos?  

Sure looks like it to me!  I hope they are in safe mode.  Didn't a BUFF down some ADC interceptor accidentally back in the day?  Or was it a BUFF that was downed?

Jy4rwr.jpgHkn2g7.jpgA co-worker supplied me with a reproduction of his nose art at Loring. B-52G 58-0241 "Pterodactyl Courier".

The 42nd BW was tasked during the cold war with the maritime warfare mission and were armed with Harpoon missiles.

58-0241 Pterodactyl Courier.jpg

Edited by Hooker169
spelling