CD72077 - 1/72 SAC B-52G/H

On 2/26/2019 at 4:17 PM, Dutch said:

So I found this photo on the web at www.gonavy.jp photo archive. It depicts B-52G 59-2566 of the 668th BS, 416th BW from Griffiss AFB circa June, 1985.  It is very interesting for several reasons.  The jet appears to be in the SAC SIOP scheme with perhaps Gunship Gray substituted for either the lighter Green or Tan color and with the nose radome painted in very dark green.  Additionally, the wing roots appear to have the START treaty strakelets added. The upper wing markings are large and high-vis!  I cannot determine if the USAF is dark blue or black.  I have zoomed in on the tail, but do not discern the Statue of Liberty markings.  I would appreciate any further comments from knowledgeable BUFF buffs!

10310_B-52G_59-2566_668thBS_416thBW_Jun85.jpg

Having grown up in Rome, NY where Griffiss AFB was located, I don't remember seeing Miss Liberty on the tails of the 52G's until the Desert Storm era... That could mean from the very late 80's (88-89 I'm guessing) up until when they deployed to Diego Garcia (if my memory hasn't failed me) during the buildup to Desert Storm.  I believe they had them during that time because I've seen photos of the G's with Miss Liberty painted out or otherwise covered up.

I lived right under the approach to runway 15 (about 2 miles as the crow flies) so I got to see a lot of the undersides of these aircraft and don't remember them being grey until that time.  I mostly remember them having the white/light grey undersides when they flew over (with everything hanging out for landing or gear up and flaps out during take off from runway 33).  What I do remember seeing is that some aircraft had the START treaty fairings and others did not...  I don't know what that means other than what I witnessed during my time nearby.  I think that photo may have been taken during the transition to the two-tone grey/green scheme or possibly to the overall grey scheme....I''ve not a whole lot of confidence in that though... it's just my .02 WAG on that.

I think I still have a bunch of old black and whites and some color shots of Griffiss B-52G's flying over our house and maybe even some taken during Commander's Day air show's before and after Desert Storm.... I still distinctly remember seeing the tails of the 52G's sitting on the alert pad while passing through the base (shortcut to Utica) on my way to other places (Dad worked at what was then RADC [now called Rome Lab] and both our cars had base access stickers on them) and don't remember seeing Miss Liberty on any of them until, like I said earlier, the late 80's and the buildup to Desert Storm.

Edited by timc
On 3/30/2019 at 9:47 AM, Dutch said:

I was just reviewing the wonderful photos submitted by Hooker and Jonah, and I noticed that on the Strategic Scheme,  the Wing badge is on the port fuselage and the SAC/ACC badge is on the stbd fuselage.  On the SIOP scheme,  it was the other way around.  When did the switch occur, with the change in camouflage,  or some other specific date?

I don’t think I’ve seen anything different than what you observed, in that the switch seems coincident with the paint change. 

Jonah

I am done with drawing the artwork, and am working on rearranging the subjects to come up with two different subjects. Some of the subjects have been done before ("What's Up Doc?", "Out House Mouse" etc.), but many were drawn from Jonah's suggestions on this thread and elsewhere. "Miss Piggy", "Old Soldier" etc. will be on the first sheet.

I still need at least a couple well-documented subjects each from Fairchild, Mather and perhaps Loring. Some of the suggestions on this thread are great, but photos of the nose art were not detailed enough to give me and my artists a good base to start from.

I should finish the layout of the first sheet sometime this week; and it will be available in May as promised. Since these are somewhat expensive to print, do not expect the second sheet anytime before August-September. 

33 minutes ago, Hooker169 said:

Here’s a new one of Lorings ‘Pterodactyl Courier’ 58-0241

Thanks - I have already done this when you posted it to the thread, and I appreciate your help! It will probably find a place on the second sheet; and a couple more Loring options would be great.

1 hour ago, KursadA said:

Thanks - I have already done this when you posted it to the thread, and I appreciate your help! It will probably find a place on the second sheet; and a couple more Loring options would be great.

Copy that, Kursad! 

Let me see what else I can scrape together.

56 minutes ago, KursadA said:

Does anyone have any photos of 58-0249 ("Urban Renewal") which show what type of "triangle K" is used on its tail when it was in service? 

GmNrkY.jpg

The photo listed this as 58-0249 which arrived AMARC September 1991

zhwVC7.jpg

Here’s one more, you can just barely make out the black triangle with gray outline.

Kursad, you’ve probably already seen photo on dstorm.eu showing the cockpit area after harvesting the nose art. So these ‘K’ would obviously be inline with that same timeframe.

Edited by Hooker169
Can’t spel

So, the final list of options on this sheet are:

-B-52G 58-0164 "SAC Time", 416 BW

-B-52G 58-0182 "What's Up, Doc?", 379 BW

-B-52G 58-0217 "Liberator", 379 BW

-B-52G 58-0249 "Urban Renewal", 379 BW

-B-52G 59-2580 "Miss Piggy", 97 BW

-B-52G 59-0178 "Old Soldier", 43 BW

-B-52H 60-0007 "Maj. Carswell", 7 BW

-B-52H 60-0024 "I'll Be Seeing You", 416 BW

I will be busy wrapping up the layout for a couple more days and will then post profiles - but most of these options have been discussed here and elsewhere. 

As I mentioned, there will be a second sheet later in the year; if this one does well. 

Edited by KursadA

Great news Kursad!! I’m down for a couple sheets ‘fo sho’!!

4 minutes ago, USAFsparkchaser said:

Oh hope to see Fairchild and Minot on the second sheet also. Did someone else ever cover 379 and 416 BW’s?

379 has been covered but not these tail numbers, not sure about 416.

The second sheet is not happening before this one is halfway to selling out, so there will be lots of time to collect more references on other units. I am done with all the 416th/379th airframes I would like to do, so the next sheet will feature other wings.

On 4/8/2019 at 12:00 PM, KursadA said:

I will be busy wrapping up the layout for a couple more days and will then post profiles - but most of these options have been discussed here and elsewhere. 

As I mentioned, there will be a second sheet later in the year; if this one does well. 

Ooorah! Thank you Kursad!  I am so looking forward to this sheet.  I can't wait to see your markings for the 42nd BW from Loring. Would also love to see it in 1/144 scale also. 

R/ Dutch 

Edited by Dutch
7 hours ago, KursadA said: