CD72077 - 1/72 SAC B-52G/H

All of the options on this sheet will eventually be included in a future 1/144 scale B-52 sheet - the current B-52H sheet is selling briskly and will be due for replacement by early 2020.

I will soon announce a 1/72 Basics sheet with decals for AGM-86 ALCM and GAM-72 Grail as carried by the B-52 at different times.  I recently got the Black Dog 1/72 GAM-72 Grail and will design the decals to fit, the AlCM decals will be designed to fit the Modelcollect missiles.

On 4/8/2019 at 6:00 PM, KursadA said:

So, the final list of options on this sheet are:

-B-52G 58-0164 "SAC Time", 416 BW

-B-52G 58-0182 "What's Up, Doc?", 379 BW

-B-52G 58-0217 "Liberator", 379 BW

-B-52G 58-0249 "Urban Renewal", 379 BW

-B-52G 59-2580 "Miss Piggy", 97 BW

-B-52G 59-0178 "Old Soldier", 43 BW

-B-52H 60-0007 "Maj. Carswell", 7 BW

-B-52H 60-0024 "I'll Be Seeing You", 416 BW

I will be busy wrapping up the layout for a couple more days and will then post profiles - but most of these options have been discussed here and elsewhere. 

As I mentioned, there will be a second sheet later in the year; if this one does well. 

Hi, great selection of Gulf war era BUFFs 🙂

But, as the Modelcollect B-52G kit (with the "upgrade" parts - new tail, strakelets etc) has only ALCM pylons, we also need new AGM-28 pylons with I-BEAM adapter (MERs from e.g. Eduard). Am I correct ?

Any idea if anybody is working on it ? (I do not count the old Buff Master sets)

Thanks !

Old Soldier 43 BW. What Base was this aircraft stationed at? I searched 43 Bomb Wing and says Carswell, but then Anderson. I didn’t think Anderson had 52’s ever permanently assigned. Thought they were always TDY units. I found a picture of the nose art. Looks really cool. Well done Kursad. I think you could have unlimited decals to make for the 52 and produce more than 3 sheets.

On 4/1/2019 at 5:36 PM, Hooker169 said:

Look at this gem!

Note the bloodshot eyeballs on the EVS

2BfzEe.jpg

It was pointed out to me today that these were the 42 BW's special markings for the 1974 Giant Voice bomb comp at Barksdale...this jet is featured on the back cover of the original Squadron/Signal B-52 In Action.

Jonah

Edited by Gator52
On 4/10/2019 at 3:33 AM, USAFsparkchaser said:

Old Soldier 43 BW. What Base was this aircraft stationed at? I searched 43 Bomb Wing and says Carswell, but then Anderson. I didn’t think Anderson had 52’s ever permanently assigned. Thought they were always TDY units. I found a picture of the nose art. Looks really cool. Well done Kursad. I think you could have unlimited decals to make for the 52 and produce more than 3 sheets.

The short answer is Anderson AB, Guam.  The wing flew B-58 Hustlers from Carswell, from Apr 1960 to Sep 1964, when it moved to Little Rock.  It deactivated at Little Rock in Jan 1970 when the last B-58 went to the Boneyard.  HQ SAC with HQAF permission reassigned the 43rd Wing designation to take over from the 3960th Strat Wg at Anderson in Apr 1970.  It remained at Anderson until inactivated on 30 Sep 1990 when the base switched from SAC control to PACAF control.  Stateside Bomb Wings (B-52G units) sent aircraft (B-52G & KC-135A) and crews TDY for 90 days at a time, just like during much of the Vietnam War.   At some point (1970s-80s) it became a permanent unit, so it is conceivable that the aircraft could have been at Guam for a good period of time.  HTH.

Edited by Dutch
correct spelling

On 4/11/2019 at 5:06 AM, Dutch said:

Way to go, Jonah!

SSP0023b.JPG

Kursad, you’ve GOT to put this jet on your second sheet! It’s simply too BA not to.

And Dutch and I promise not to ask for any more Loring aircraft,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, until you get to the SAC KC-135 sheet that is😉

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 12:11 PM, USAFsparkchaser said:

Sorry Kursad, not stricly decals, but applicable. 

I emailed Baraccuda Studios asking for accurate castings of engines, pylons, armaments and wing tanks for the ModelCollect kits and Hannants to re-issue the Airwaves AES72037 B-52G/H wingtip tanks for both AMT/ERTL and MC kits. I would suggest that others pile on.  Or, some enterprising individual could render a set in CAD and 3-D print them at Shapeways.

Edited by Dutch
  • 1 month later...
On 4/10/2019 at 2:33 AM, USAFsparkchaser said:

On 4/11/2019 at 4:34 AM, Dutch said:

The short answer is Anderson AB, Guam.  The wing flew B-58 Hustlers from Carswell, from Apr 1960 to Sep 1964, when it moved to Little Rock.  It deactivated at Little Rock in Jan 970 when the last B-58 went to the Boneyard.  HQ SAC with HQAF permission reassigned the 43rd Wing designation to take over from the 3960th Strat Wg at Anderson in Apr 1970.  It remained at Anderson until inactivated on 30 Sep 1990 when the base switched from SAC control to PACAF control.  Stateside Bomb Wings (B-52G units) sent aircraft (B-52G & KC-135A) and crews TDY for 90 days at a time, just like during much of the Vietnam War.  Sometimes, based on individual airframe maintenance check schedules, the aircraft remained while the crews rotated.  So it is conceivable that the aircraft could have been at Guam for a good period of time.  HTH.

We had permanently assigned crews and aircraft in 1985-1987 when I was assigned to the 43rd SW, then re-designated 43rd BW.

KursadA, what's the time frame of your decals sheet for the 43BW plane.  Our Wing CC had a funky "arc light" emblem on the tail that the maintenance guys added a dragon too (86-87).

3 hours ago, Da SWO said:

We had permanently assigned crews and aircraft in 1985-1987 when I was assigned to the 43rd SW, then re-designated 43rd BW.

KursadA, what's the time frame of your decals sheet for the 43BW plane.  Our Wing CC had a funky "arc light" emblem on the tail that the maintenance guys added a dragon too (86-87).

"Old Soldier" (58-0178) is depicted on the sheet as it looked in August 1989. 

Hello I was wondering what color is the brownish green color on the H model tails that Mr Gator 52 posted?  Is that just a faded olive drab? I have noticed that the Fairchild H models seem to show the brownish color more. So is the old 1/144 scale Revell H model with box top Fairchild markings wrong? they show a light brown and grey scheme.  I cannot seem to find any info about a brown scheme from the late 80's early 90's. just the Gray and olive drab color, but just like these photos show they sure look a brownish tent to me, and its about to driveme crazy trying to find what color match this might be.  Thanks so much.   

Image result for 1/144 revell b-52h

img6.jpg

Edited by ARKHERKYLOAD

While it has been overshadowed by the SR-71 sheets to a degree, the B-52 sheet is selling really well and I am well into the design work for the second SAC B-52 sheet (more on that soon). I am really happy with how this sheet has turned out, especially the 4-color offset printed nose art such as 'Old Soldier" and "I'll Be Seeing You". I am sure you will like these decals when you start receiving them next week.

b52a.JPG

b52b.JPG

b52c.JPG