CD72077 - 1/72 SAC B-52G/H

So I found this photo on the web at www.gonavy.jp photo archive. It depicts B-52G 59-2566 of the 668th BS, 416th BW from Griffiss AFB circa June, 1985.  It is very interesting for several reasons.  The jet appears to be in the SAC SIOP scheme with perhaps Gunship Gray substituted for either the lighter Green or Tan color and with the nose radome painted in very dark green.  Additionally, the wing roots appear to have the START treaty strakelets added. The upper wing markings are large and high-vis!  I cannot determine if the USAF is dark blue or black.  I have zoomed in on the tail, but do not discern the Statue of Liberty markings.  I would appreciate any further comments from knowledgeable BUFF buffs!

10310_B-52G_59-2566_668thBS_416thBW_Jun85.jpg

Im not sure if we are looking at the same photo here.
Thats the SIOP scheme... The USAF is blue

Im not sure if we are looking at the same photo here.
Thats the SIOP scheme... The USAF is blue

10310_B-52G_59-2566_668thBS_416thBW_Jun85.jpg

More specifically what you see there is the "late" variation of SIOP, with the original white nose overpainted with FS36081 dark gray (which has a greenish cast under some conditions).

This is the same scheme worn by 58-0185 "El Lobo II" during the Secret Squirrel CALCM mission to kick off Desert Storm (the only one on that mission still in SIOP colors). 58-0185 is still in this scheme, now on display at the USAF Armament Museum at Eglin AFB, Florida.

SIOP colors, for reference:

34079 Dark Green

34201 Green (aka "SAC Bomber Green," mistaken as gunship gray above)

34159 Light Green (aka "SAC Bomber Tan")

17875 Gloss White

Edited by Quixote74
Typo corrected
  • 2 months later...

Thank you Kursad. 

At this point, I have all the 1/72 B-52 decals I can use. I do know that others will want to see a lot more, and rightly so.  There are tons of markings that have not been done yet in 1/72.  Personally, I would love to see these and future sheets scaled down to 1/144 though!  Plenty of those kits in the stash.

V/r,

Dutch

On 10/26/2019 at 2:49 AM, dehowie said:

All these camo birds are nice but how about some real B-52’s?

5B3EA179-6B4E-41A0-9DF7-A811EED0D5DF.jpeg

66DD9FC8-29AD-4485-81DA-BC42E8890E0B.jpeg

This one would be interesting. Almark did the decal for Dear Rocky not to win is a very bad thing but it was on a B-52D, interesting seeing it on a chrome dome scheme early G model

52 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Will it be in the strategic or SIOP scheme? and will it be from the 69th BS so it can carry the AGM-84s?

Sorry, it's months away and I have not finalized the design. All I can tell you is that I will include at least one Loring AFB option.

Kursad, I know that I said I had enough 1/72 B-52 sheets, but I will reconsider for the 42nd BW.  I would love to see at least two 42nd BW markings, the older SIOP B-52G "Loring Moose Gooser" (thread pg 6) and the newer Strategic Scheme B-52G "Pterodactyl Courier" (thread pg 2 & 3).  Thanks for listening to our requests.  And of course I would love to see these scaled down to 1/144.  K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch

@ElectroSoldier  "Pterodactyl Courier" was a AGM-84 Harpoon bird, though not in the SIOP scheme.  Look at the nose art!  That's a Harpoon under the pterodactyl.  I would say that any SIOP bird would also have been a Harpoon carrier.  

Kursad's KC-135 sheets are for the current AAC / AFRC / AMC (latest) scheme and do not match the corresponding SAC era Bomb Wings (in SIOP or Strategic schemes for the B-52 / Duraluminum, aircraft gray, or Shamu for the KC-135s), though he should release one soonish.  

Edited by Dutch
19 minutes ago, Dutch said:

@ElectroSoldier  "Pterodactyl Courier" was a AGM-84 Harpoon bird, though not in the SIOP scheme.  Look at the nose art!  That's a Harpoon under the pterodactyl.  I would say that any SIOP bird would also have been a Harpoon carrier.  

Kursad's KC-135 sheets are for the current AAC / AFRC / AMC (latest) scheme and do not match the corresponding SAC era Bomb Wings (in SIOP or Strategic schemes for the B-52 / Duraluminum, aircraft gray, or Shamu for the KC-135s).  

I cant see from the pictures earlier in this thread what scheme it carried.

My question about the KC-135 should more correctly read will they, as I know he plans a sheet for the A and the A which do match.

About the SIOP scheme and the harpoons. I would say over the last 40 odd years I learnt to go with actual refrences rather than assumptions about what did and didnt do something.

Edited by ElectroSoldier
2 hours ago, Stefan buysse said:

Hi,

With the news about the Academy new-mould 1/144th B-52H, I also hope that there will be some 1/144 sheets for it from Caracal.

I'd love to build one in the silver over anti-flash white scheme.

Cheers, Stefan.

I already have a best-selling B-52H sheet in this scale, but will definitely release new sheets in 2020.

Hey guys, not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the scheme featured on the boxart for modelcollects upcoming kit of the B-52G as it appeared during Linebacker II. I've never seen a photo of this actual aircraft in this paint scheme and I've only ever seen B-52Gs that took part in Linebacker painted with white undersides. Anyone have any info on this unique bird?

IMG_1030.PNG

Don't believe I've ever seen a B-52G in that scheme...I don't think the ALQ-117 antennas on the aft fuselage are appropriate for the time period, and I don't think B-52s went low in Vietnam to drop high-drag weapons either...

Unfortunately that box art seems to be representative of some of the research errors that we've seen in the kits released so far.

Jonah

20 hours ago, KursadA said:

I already have a best-selling B-52H sheet in this scale, but will definitely release new sheets in 2020.

Hi,

Yes, I have CD144-005. I bought it more as an admirer of what modern decal design and printing can achieve, rather than in order to actually put them on a model.

I've had an old Academy B-52H lying around since 1994, but that's a pre-EVS model. So, I'm hoping for new sheets that may include the earlier schemes.

Cheers, Stefan.

21 hours ago, Griffin2929 said:

Hey guys, not sure if this is the correct place to post this question, but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the scheme featured on the boxart for modelcollects upcoming kit of the B-52G as it appeared during Linebacker II. I've never seen a photo of this actual aircraft in this paint scheme and I've only ever seen B-52Gs that took part in Linebacker painted with white undersides. Anyone have any info on this unique bird?

Vietnam era B-52Gs were in SIOP scheme with Insignia White bottoms.  And as Jonah points out, no ALQ-117 mounted as yet.  In fact, when the Gs went to war, they had less ECM gear than the Ds.  Yes, that box art is a bit fanciful.  Low-level BUFF dropping High-drag Snakeyes no less!

Edited by Dutch
21 hours ago, Griffin2929 said:

IMG_1030.PNG

It looks like the artist fixed the underside but that tan isn’t supposed to be there.....

mgZSYE.jpg

• 1 month later...