CD72077 - 1/72 SAC B-52G/H

2 hours ago, Spaced Marine said:

Will anybody your next 1/72 B-52 decals cover the Secret Squirrel G’s from the opening night of Desert Storm? I have the italeri G, and need good decals for one with the Salt treaty wing fairings. 

Below is the link to the thread for the new sheets. It would be nice if you can post your question there; but the short answer is yes, CD72097 will have at least two Secret Squirrel aircraft.

2 minutes ago, KursadA said:

Below is the link to the thread for the new sheets. It would be nice if you can post your question there; but the short answer is yes, CD72097 will have at least two Secret Squirrel aircraft.

Thank you no didn’t know there was a new thread, my apologies. 

No apologies needed - I just thought continuing the discussion here could help more people. CD72077 will include markings for at least a couple Secret Squirrel aircraft, most likely "Petie 3rd" and "Miami Clipper". The art team has done a great job of drawing a few other nose arts, but I will have to balance different bases and units on this sheet; so I am not sure if I can add any others. 

And CD72098 will have the Secret Squirrel 25th anniversary markings for one current B-52H.

Edited by KursadA
  • 2 months later...
On 8/3/2018 at 9:47 PM, Hooker169 said:

Nice find, Dutch! I’ve been hunting this for a while. The only thing I’d add is while reading through various Facebook pages related to the 97th, all the crews refer to 59-2580  effectionetly as ‘Miss Piggy’. I wonder if ‘Sooieee’ and ‘#1 B-52’ was added just for the ‘Giant Strike V’ Bomb Comp or some other reason?

I came across this post the other day while doing a little Father's Day shopping for my dad. My father was the crew chief on "MIss Piggy" during this comp. I was young, around 7 or so, but remember this plane well. I actually have an exact wooden replica of this plane that was given to my father at the time he left the Air Force. This comp earned my dad the Airman of the Month award for the September of that year, which I also snagged that award. I feel if I was taking the replica, I needed all the awards that went along with it. After my dad left the Air Force, he went on to work on the B1B project at Rockwell and later to McCauley propellers, with various other jobs within the aerospace industry. When I spoke to my dad about this post, it was a bright spot in his day, so thank you for that. 

On 5/18/2020 at 10:02 AM, JasonS said:

I came across this post the other day while doing a little Father's Day shopping for my dad. My father was the crew chief on "MIss Piggy" during this comp. I was young, around 7 or so, but remember this plane well. I actually have an exact wooden replica of this plane that was given to my father at the time he left the Air Force. This comp earned my dad the Airman of the Month award for the September of that year, which I also snagged that award. I feel if I was taking the replica, I needed all the awards that went along with it. After my dad left the Air Force, he went on to work on the B1B project at Rockwell and later to McCauley propellers, with various other jobs within the aerospace industry. When I spoke to my dad about this post, it was a bright spot in his day, so thank you for that. 

Jason,

God Bless your Dad for his faithful service to our nation. And thank you for your comment and contribution.  Kursad has already created the artwork and printed the decals, but left out the white lettering on the large red #1 on the port forward fuselage because no one was 100% sure what it said.  Would you or your father have any photos of "Miss Piggy" or would he remember what was written on the the large red #1?  It appears to have been written in white chalk.  Here is a color side view drawing from Osprey Combat aircraft series on the B-52, page 23. It clearly shows 59-2580 with the name "Sooieee" and the large "#1" with inscription "Best B-52." What is not clear is the writing at the top of the #1.  The caption states that it was at the time of the RAF bomb competition in 1980. Any further information or photos would be most welcome.  And a big group thanks to your Dad.

Kind regards,

Dutch 

001.JPG.fd25d1b447b07c812aa70d0e3ea60e63.JPG

Edited by Dutch
added link
  • 7 months later...

It is with great sadness that I am writing in this post, my father, the crew chief and driving force of Miss Piggy during the comp in England has pass away. He loved the conversations that he and I had about this topic this past year. Thank you all for your admiration of this plane, I know it brought great joy to my father. Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, JasonS said:

It is with great sadness that I am writing in this post, my father, the crew chief and driving force of Miss Piggy during the comp in England has pass away. He loved the conversations that he and I had about this topic this past year. Thank you all for your admiration of this plane, I know it brought great joy to my father. Thanks again. 

Well, sorry to hear that, Jason. Prayers to you and your family.

• 10 months later...
On 10/18/2019 at 12:07 PM, KursadA said:

The inventory of the second 1/72 sheet (CD72077) is now down to fewer than 100 sheets, so I started working on the final layout design of the third sheet. This one will have some of the the Sawyer, Castle, Loring etc. jets that you have been asking about. Expect something very similar to CD72077 in design (i.e. same stenciling sheet, one main markings sheet and a third sheet with serial numbers).

CD144020 (1/144 version of CD72022) is coming in December.

Kursad, Any news on this one?  I have two 1/144 B-52Ds in the early stages of production, but could set them aside for a G and couple of Hs if you release this in in 1/144 scale. K/r, Dutch

• 2 months later...
On 10/11/2018 at 8:19 PM, Gator52 said:

61-0019, July 1990.

61-0019-410-BW-RCA-5-Jul90.jpg

Chris, Did any of the 410th BW B-52Hs ever carry a full color wing / SAC badges & full color K.I. Sawyer rainbow on the tail as the KC-135s did?  Just curious if I can cross-kit decals from the Welsh KC-135A/Q to the Revell B-52H in 1/144 scale. K/r, Dutch

Edited by Dutch
2 hours ago, Gator52 said:

Not that I’ve seen for a strat-camo jet, but the hi-vis SAC & wing emblems would work well for the SIOP scheme-

Chris

That's what I thought! Just USAF & serial last 5 in black on the tail in the SIOP scheme, correct?

That seemed to be the most common; though at least one SIOP jet (61-0018) wore a subdued version of the rainbow towards the late 80s.

KI Sawyer trivia: apparently the rainbow marking and "Someplace Special" theme trace their roots to a promo put out by WLUC, a local TV station.

Upper Michigan Someplace Special promo (uppermichiganssource.com)

Chris 

Edited by Gator52

Yes keep the 410 questions coming. I am REALLY HOPING There markings end up on the 1/144 and 1/72 sheets. I sent all the pictures I could find to Kursad. I really hope to get the rainbow and the colored stripes with eagle emblem, on the sheets as well as high vis 410th wing decal for a SIOP scheme. 

Don't recall if I already shared these links at some point, but here are a couple of short videos covering the departure of the final B-52H to transfer out of KI in 1994:

KI Sawyer B-52 Final Flight - YouTube

KI Sawyer B-52 Series 2 - YouTube

60-0026 in these markings would be a great subject!

Chris

Edited by Gator52

For the period 1992-1994 when the two letter codes were authorized, only the following B-52 units carried them, correct?

LA = 2nd BW, Barksdale AFB, LA

BD = 917th/307th BW (AFRES), Barksdale AFB, LA

MT = 5th BW, Minot AFB, ND

FC = 92nd BW, Fairchild AFB, WA

GR = 416th BW, Griffiss AFB, NY

CW = 7th BW, Carswell AFB, TX 

LZ = 42nd BW, Loring AFB, ME

MO = 366th Wg, Mountain Home AFB, ID (but remained at Castle AFB, CA)

CA = 93rd BW, Castle AFB, CA

KI = 416th BW, K.I. Sawyer AFB, MI

ED = 412th Test Wg, Edwards AFB, CA

?? = 379th BW, Wurtsmith AFB, MI (never received two-letter tail code, using "Triangle K" instead until last B-52G flew out in Dec 1992.)

xx = 97th BW, Eaker AFB, AR (already inactivated and moved to Altus AFB, OK by summer 1992.)

28th (ELlsworth) & 96th (DYess) had already converted to B-1B Lancers.

Edited by Dutch
added ED tailcode

That’s a good summary Dutch, matches my notes with the nitpick exception that BD was originally used by the 917th Wing during this timeframe, then it carried over to the 307 BW when it replaced the 917th in 2011.  

Kursad, I’ve pieced together how most of those units looked, at least enough to get one option from each unit.  LMK what you need. 

ACC Bomber Triad (Logan, 1999) is the best single photo source I’ve found for these units during the 90s. 

Chris

Edited by Gator52
18 hours ago, Gator52 said:

ACC Bomber Triad (Logan, 1999) is the best single photo source I’ve found for these units during the 90s. 

Chris

Chris,  Thanks for the book tip.  I have it on backorder now through bookfinder.com. 🙂 K/r, Dutch

I've been watching and reading this thread from the beginning, and the possibility of these decals in 1/144 scale has spurred me to begin building a B-52G early in SIOP scheme.  I started by purchasing the old Crown B-52H and then a Revell B-52G kit.  The Revell kit is really nice, and I noticed a lot of issues with the old Crown kit which I somehow always thought was a good kit.  Now not so much so.  I read that the early nose radomes on the B-52G/H were different size wise from the later EVS equipped B-52's.  Is that accurate?     

4 hours ago, aircal62 said:

I read that the early nose radomes on the B-52G/H were different size wise from the later EVS equipped B-52's.  Is that accurate?     

yes, the size and shape of radome changed with the EVS mod.  There is a pretty epic thread on this in Jet Modeling.