CD72077 - 1/72 SAC B-52G/H

On 7/9/2018 at 12:38 PM, Hooker169 said:

A co-worker supplied me with a reproduction of his nose art at Loring. B-52G 59-0241 "Pterodactyl Courier".

The 42nd BW was tasked during the cold war with the maritime warfare mission and were armed with Harpoon missiles.

58-0241 Pterodactyl Courier.jpg

WOW, awesome. Do you know who has the credit for this picture ? This airframe was part of Gulf war and I would like to add this picture to my site. Thanks !

21 minutes ago, JakubJakepilot said:

WOW, awesome. Do you know who has the credit for this picture ? This airframe was part of Gulf war and I would like to add this picture to my site. Thanks !

The picture was from page 46 of Osprey Combat Aircraft Vol.50, B-52 Stratofortress Units in Desert Storm.

BTW, great site you have there!

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:39 AM, Dutch said:

I would like to see B-52G 59-2580 "Miss Piggy" of the 340th BS, 97th BW, Blytheville AFB, AR circa 1980 at RAF Fairford, UK bomb comp. 

Okay, with a little further research,  I have determined that the name for 59-2580 was not "Miss Piggy," but rather "Sooieee," I think!  Here is a color side view drawing from Osprey Combat aircraft series on the B-52, page 23. It clearly shows 59-2580 with the name "Sooieee" (Note that the drawing has 3 e's, but I think the correct spelling is with only 2 e's.) and the large "#1" with inscription "Best B-52." The caption states that it was at the time of the RAF bomb competition in 1980. In the Crowood book on the B-52, there is an appendix of individual aircraft names. On page 150, it lists B-52G 59-2579 as "Sooiee" (only 2 e's) and 59-2580 as "Arkansas Razorback."   So the plot thickens!  I know that I have seen a color photo of bomb competition markings, I just can't find it at the moment.  I will keep looking.   R/Dutch 

001.JPG

Edited by Dutch
add photo and comments
On 8/2/2018 at 5:18 PM, Dutch said:

Okay, with a little further research,  I have determined that the name for 59-2580 was not "Miss Piggy," but rather "Sooiee," I think!  Here is a color side view drawing from Osprey Combat aircraft series on the B-52, page 23. It clearly shows 59-2580 with the name "Sooieee" (Note that the drawing has 3 e's, but I think the correct spelling is with only 2 e's.) and the large "#1" with inscription "Best B-52." The caption states that it was at the time of the RAF bomb competition in 1980. In the Crowood book on the B-52, there is an appendix of individual aircraft names. On page 150, it lists B-52G 59-2579 as "Sooiee" (only 2 e's) and 59-2580 as "Arkansas Razorback."   So the plot thickens!  I know that I have seen a color photo of bomb competition markings, I just can't find it at the moment.  I will keep looking.   R/Dutch 

001.JPG

Nice find, Dutch! I’ve been hunting this for a while. The only thing I’d add is while reading through various Facebook pages related to the 97th, all the crews refer to 59-2580  effectionetly as ‘Miss Piggy’. I wonder if ‘Sooieee’ and ‘#1 B-52’ was added just for the ‘Giant Strike V’ Bomb Comp or some other reason?

That's why I said 'I think!" I had also seen "Miss Piggy" as the name on more than one photo caption, however I can find no reference to it ever having been painted on the aircraft.  I believe "Sooieee" & "#1" were added at the end of the RAF bomb competition  I am not sure how long they stayed on the jet. 

Edited by Dutch
Correct spelling
4 hours ago, Dutch said:

That's why I said 'I think!" I had also seen "Miss Piggy" as the name on more than one photo caption, however I can find no reference to it ever having been painted on the aircraft.  I believe "Sooiee" & "#1" were added at the end of the RAF bomb competition  I am not sure how long they stayed on the jet. 

Roger that! 

I’ve been trawling Facebook pages for weeks hunting the elusive personal pic of 2580 showing the nose art you found.

My hats off, kind Sir!

• 2 weeks later...

After carefully looking at the color photo of 59-2580 with the #1 painted on the forward fuselage, I have determined that the correct spelling for "Sooieee" is just that, with 3 "e's".  I cannot determine the small white writing in the top of the #1, though. Perhaps crew names?

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 8:07 AM, Dutch said:

After carefully looking at the color photo of 59-2580 with the #1 painted on the forward fuselage, I have determined that the correct spelling for "Sooieee" is just that, with 3 "e's".  I cannot determine the small white writing in the top of the #1, though. Perhaps crew names?

Just to back-up what Dutch has said all along,

I was able to find a guy on facebook who was part of that bomb comp. He says they applied the red razor back prior to going to the bomb comp in England. They finished 1st place among 5 B-52's which attended. They applied the "#1" and "Best B-52" and were able to keep the markings since they finished number 1.

I'm trying to find out what is written on the top of the #1, waiting for a reply.

Edited by Hooker169
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Hooker, Jonah, etal,

Here is a link to a .pdf file of all the SAC Bombing Competitions from 1948-1992: https://www.afgsc.af.mil/Portals/51/Docs/AFD-141030-029.pdf?ver=2015-12-15-161406-233

Enjoy!

R/

Dutch

Very cool, Dutch!

Two quick things, you notice 1980 Giant Strike V? That’s the RAF Bomb Comp Miss Piggy attended. And our boys at Pease pulled off a sweet 3-peat from ‘81 to ‘83 winning the Fairchild trophy three straight years!

Nice find!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:38 AM, Hooker169 said:

Jy4rwr.jpgHkn2g7.jpgA co-worker supplied me with a reproduction of his nose art at Loring. B-52G 58-0241 "Pterodactyl Courier".

The 42nd BW was tasked during the cold war with the maritime warfare mission and were armed with Harpoon missiles.

58-0241 Pterodactyl Courier.jpg

I found a picture of the Moose on 58-0241 tail. I confirmed with the crew chief that even though this picture is of "Eternal Guardian", these were indeed the same colors on 241 "Pterodactyl Courier". I also included a picture of a crew block so you could see the script. It should read:

THE MOOSE IS LOOSE

PTERODACTYL COURIER

C/C SGT BOUCHARD

A/C/C SRA WILLETTE

Disclaimer; Photo credits go  to @Don and @Ghostbase

x8Aeol.jpg

GnOX9a.jpg

Edited by Hooker169
photo credit

The photo of the Loring Moose on the fin of 58-0195 above was taken by me at RAF Fairford in July 1989. The artwork carried was 'Eternal Guardian'. I recall that there was a KC-135 tanker there as well which had a similar moose illustration on her fin but 'Loring' and the state outline were in red. Michael

25 minutes ago, Ghostbase said:

The photo of the Loring Moose on the fin of 58-0195 above was taken by me at RAF Fairford in July 1989. The artwork carried was 'Eternal Guardian'. I recall that there was a KC-135 tanker there as well which had a similar moose illustration on her fin but 'Loring' and the state outline were in red. Michael

Great shot Michael! Share more of any Loring birds you might have.

BTW, updated photo credit.

On 10/7/2018 at 5:26 AM, Ghostbase said:

Like this?
0823-015_Usm_Shrp_Crp_Dst_Rz_Numb.jpg

There were also the high viz SAC KC-135E with red and green:

Ser_No_58-0009.jpg

Ser_No_60-0314_Out_Of_The_North.jpg

Those are awsome pictures. Thanks for sharing! Do you have anymore? I love the KI Sawyer jet engine n your last two pics. Also is the jet a Minot aircraft? The one that has what looks like a skull with wings? Also the Mather one is cool also never seen a pick like that.