CD72077 - 1/72 SAC B-52G/H

Folks, I am working on this sheet and many others, and will bring it to the market as soon as it is done. I am now busy working on getting my new batch of decals ready for shipping next week.

The one B-52 sheet I have under development has B-52D/F/G/H from the SAC era, drawing heavily from the ideas/reference posted here. I am not sure if the market will support two simultaneous releases - I am planning one sheet in April and another one in mid summer. 

Well on the weekend I found out I have access to another couple of Monogram B-52 kits. One of them is the X-15 combo version. It is at one of my modelling friend's estate sale and we are trying to help out his wife by selling his collection of books and models. He built exclusively 1/72nd post WWII. Maybe I will pick these up to help her even though I have one already. I don't know anything about the kit with the X-15 but I am guessing it has a new wing for the cut out? Just wondering if I can use it to do a regular one since it looks like I may need a couple more with Kursad's new decals.

13 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Well on the weekend I found out I have access to another couple of Monogram B-52 kits. One of them is the X-15 combo version....

I don't know anything about the kit with the X-15 but I am guessing it has a new wing for the cut out? Just wondering if I can use it to do a regular one since it looks like I may need a couple more with Kursad's new decals.

The X-15 mothership is an NB-52B. Mods to the tooling include the notched starboard wing, faired over tail gun & crew position, and new parts for the observation blister.

If doing an H from one of the various conversion sets, filling the wing is your only major obstacle since the H had an all-new tail. Doing a G is more problematic since it uses the base kit's quad .50 caliber tail turret, so for that or the "tall tail" D the original Monogram kit would be a better option. 

• 4 weeks later...

Almost done with this sheet - honestly, I am.  I have a metric ton of reseller orders for the last batch that I need to ship next week, but I will start posting profiles afterwards.

It will most likely be part of an epic April batch of releases which will also include the SR-71 sheets (both scales) and the new KC-135A/E sheet.

Edited by KursadA
9 hours ago, KursadA said:

Almost done with this sheet - honestly, I am.  I have a metric ton of reseller orders for the last batch that I need to ship next week, but I will start posting profiles afterwards.

It will most likely be part of an epic April batch of releases which will also include the SR-71 sheets (both scales) and the new KC-135A/E sheet.

Hell yah!   Gonna be expensive month.  Can't wait....

Edited by Drifterdon

Quick question for all you Buff experts.  What color was the large USAF on the upper stbd wing of B-52Ds in SEA camo; blue or black?  I think Monogram had it in blue in their kit.  I only ask, because my Vector144 B-52D decals include a black one.  I can substitute a blue from one of my Microscale sheets, if necessary.  R/ Dutch

They were probably insignia blue. Those universal markings were some sort of high-speed stickers and not painted on. Same goes for many of the national insignias. The variable markings like serials, unit codes, and buzz numbers were unique to the airframe so were painted on.

• 3 weeks later...

So I found this photo on the web at www.gonavy.jp photo archive. It depicts B-52G 59-2566 of the 668th BS, 416th BW from Griffiss AFB circa June, 1985.  It is very interesting for several reasons.  The jet appears to be in the SAC SIOP scheme with perhaps Gunship Gray substituted for either the lighter Green or Tan color and with the nose radome painted in very dark green.  Additionally, the wing roots appear to have the START treaty strakelets added. The upper wing markings are large and high-vis!  I cannot determine if the USAF is dark blue or black.  I have zoomed in on the tail, but do not discern the Statue of Liberty markings.  I would appreciate any further comments from knowledgeable BUFF buffs!

10310_B-52G_59-2566_668thBS_416thBW_Jun85.jpg

Edited by Dutch
fix grammar / spelling

Great shot, the radome is probably 36081. 

I tend to to associate the 416 BMW’s large tail markings with the Strategic camouflage; offhand I can’t recall seeing many images of unit markings on the tails of the SIOP painted jets, apart from the special bomb comp markings. 

The 416th was the first B-52G unit to go operational with ALCM in 1982, so your assessment of wing root strakelets is spot on. 

Jonah

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Dutch said:

Kursad, I will keep looking.  I think that either Jonah or Hooker are in email contact with former members of the 97th BW.  I know you want to complete this one quickly.  R/ Dutch

One fellow on the 97th BW FB page thinks he may have black and white pics of ‘Miss Piggy’ during the actual 1980 ‘Giant Strike V’ bomb comp but he’s not sure if they show the nose art. He’s looking though.

I was just reviewing the wonderful photos submitted by Hooker and Jonah, and I noticed that on the Strategic Scheme,  the Wing badge is on the port fuselage and the SAC/ACC badge is on the stbd fuselage.  On the SIOP scheme,  it was the other way around.  When did the switch occur, with the change in camouflage,  or some other specific date?

Edited by Dutch