Diorama-"Return to England"

I'd like to show completed work at the very first.

011115t0yiydqdd7r7qz5b.jpg

I was always want to show a group of planes one by one rolling in sky by modeling, but couldn't fine a good way to show that, until one day, a friend introduced me Eduard 1/144 Spitfire, then suddenly I got an idea! That is use this 144th kit, along with a 72nd kit, mix these two scales into one diorama. 72nd one on near side, the 144th one on far side, that should show a “near big and far small” view(or perspective view? I don't know correct way in English, sorry). Then set each of them in a particular angle, so that may work.

Since Spitfire has been choose, I though story background should best to show some British way, and, with a warm story such as back home could be better than combat story. The famous white dove cliff no doubt is the best way for this story. So, I thought: that it, start to built it!

I choose Eduard 144th Spitfire Mk.IX, and an Italeri kit as 72nd one. Painted with late RAF camouflage, and very light wethering, after all, wethering isn't the point, right? Notice the pilots, these two kits didn't contain, so I cut two plastic stick, painted with brown, to simulate pilot:P

015002hi83rijcu8r3i7uu.jpg

Then drill a hole, for TAMIYA clear plastic pipe, which is the way to fix plane on the background. Notice these two pipes are different angle.

012019v2ovkhvkvktc41gv.jpg

I searched a high quality image of dove cliff. That is really beautiful! I hope someday come to see the cliff myself. 

012046lwuiw6d600xd9626.jpg

I cut a plastic board to brace the photo frame. And superposed three plastic board for hold the plane and pipe.

012107cbve1gd2uq12hds2.jpg

012148iefkzvbhfvdcv44a.jpg

Also drill two holes on the picture, well, seems I need some practice for drilling paper···

012133lq2x23cc3csh6h8y.jpg 

To show the spinning propeller is another keypoint. I chose a cell phone screen film, cut a circle with circle cut. The cut paper templet to paint the spinning propeller.

012427wxwsmzsrkkkm2z2m.jpg

At last, assemble Spitfire into the frame.

012210bxx6dmxtm9t0xiqm.jpg 

012233ntb8k6cki58qq1qc.jpg 

And adjust two planes angle, make it looks like the 144th Spitfire is leading the 72nd Spitfire rolling and return to airbase.

012305zxxq89zhxzaeh3m2.jpg 

012328u1s4tnrvxjoxw6jm.jpg

012454ii1q3y34kihcb1hx.jpg

012530rn073nzpjg777nt0.jpg 

012558cs00a7zg0qaqqa10.jpg

So this work complete!

011151i2jsaaiyyy2eatie.jpg

011248nivxrhmjxcmiszsw.jpg

011325srkqri9rhr6ker9t.jpg

011408dkxgz8cw8ln7nwyg.jpg

011452whgf3ucgxibff3v4.jpg

I quite like this picture, it seems like two planes are flying into a dream.

011542swf4f0zfjw3lwbx0.jpg

Thanks for review. Good luck for all of you my friends.

Must be me... I don't see your images in this thread. When I clicked on one of the links, I got an error claiming "www.moxing.net" cannot be found (DNS error, actually).

BTW, the term for your combination of 1/72 and 1/144 is called "forced perspective".

14 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Must be me... I don't see your images in this thread. When I clicked on one of the links, I got an error claiming "www.moxing.net" cannot be found (DNS error, actually).

I don''t see them either.  Same error on every link.

On 2017/10/18 at 8:56 AM, dnl42 said:

BTW, the term for your combination of 1/72 and 1/144 is called "forced perspective".

On 2017/10/18 at 11:35 PM, k5ikl said:

I don''t see them either.  Same error on every link.

How about this time?

gmd5c6fu3o0y7defb6pw_thumb.jpg

viu9bu4veauy0yhl8sz9_thumb.jpg

kfd7qoyn60zd3ueo9xu5_thumb.jpg

gg0t9sbzoaqmttrmf4ly_thumb.jpg

7nkbtoprnlz2m7jnrr13_thumb.jpg

On 2017/10/18 at 8:56 AM, dnl42 said:

That‘s right! I was just know after post online.

On 2017/10/18 at 7:59 AM, phantom said:

That is awesome!!!

On 2017/10/19 at 5:51 AM, Slartibartfast said:

The images work for me.

Quite an imaginative idea.  Looks very nice!  If I were do this, I think I would try for a larger print so there's a greater viewing angle.

Thanks guys !

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Remarkable and beautiful in build and presentation!  I really like it.  I thought that the first photo was 100% painting and that you were trying to recreate it.  But now I see it is all your work!  Sort of a "3-D" painting!  I like it!  Kind regards, Dutch

Edited by Dutch

I have had a few ideas to do a forced perspective diorama not many out there. That looks very realistic. I thought also creating a shadow box to make the viewer look from only one angle would be a good idea. Anyway nice to see something different if I see one more plane sitting on a tarmac with the canopy open I'll scream even though I am guilty.

• 2 months later...