Tamiya 1/32 F4U-1D---WOW!

I received this kit in the mail last week.  After looking at the sprues, the clear parts and the decals and instructions, I have to give it an A+.  Definitely sets the standard.  The Birdcage version was nice and I'll make that one a nifty Marine bird. 

I remember when I saw my first Japanese kit back in the 1970's and thought they really had it going on.  Well, 40 some years later and they still seem to be setting the standard though kits have improved immensely all across the board.  I attribute a lot of it to the digital age and computerization.  Getting measured values into a database and the software to get it all just right instead of being as close as you can get with analog hardware.  It's made a lot of difference. 

This kit is loaded with nice stuff...from the rubber tires (tyres?) to the incredibly clear canopy...Makes the Revell old standby something of a dinosaur...BUT....still a good kit for a younger modeler, perhaps, based largely on cost alone. 

My Tamiya kit was $138 with shipping from Tokyo Hobby and took a month to get here from when I ordered it off eBay.   But it sure was worth the wait. 

Edited by VADM Fangschleister

It's definitely on my "want" list! I have fondled the sprues of the Birdcage Corsair and seen the F4U-1 built up and it certainly looks like a thing of beauty. Perhaps one of the best kits of all time IMHO. I have always liked the -1D though. I just can't fit it in my budget right now...

Oh well, I have the Revell F4U-1A and the 21st Century Toys kits that will have to due until I can.

Enjoy your Corsair! Post pictures of your build too so we can all enjoy it.

Happy modeling!

Regards,

Don

EDIT: Now if Tamiya could turn out a 1/32 F4U-5N in Korean War livery... oh my...:rolleyes:

Edited by Don

Enjoy the build. The entire line up of Tamiya 1/32 scale  Corsairs: F4U-1, -1A, & -1D sets the standards for the rest of the pack to follow.  Of course their 1/48 scale trio also are of the same standards and incredible kits to build.

Joel

Now I can build a Korean War Corsair out of this kit; right? 

Being as the Corsair in Korea was used as a fighter bomber (guess we could say that), does it come with the correct hard points and weapons systems? Anyway I'm buying one when the newness wears off the price tag<g>!

gary

I am away from my resources right now but I don't believe the F4U-1D was used in Korea. I am pretty sure it was in Naval Reserves by 1950 and on its way out of U.S. service. If I remember correctly the F4U-4B, F4U-4P, F4U-5N, F4U-5NL, and AU-1 were used in Korea. They had different engines with different cowls. The -4's had a prominent air scoop on the lower cowl and the -5's had two distinct cheek air scoops on the cowl sides. The -5's had a higher canopy too. The AU-1's whole cowl was different with the air scoops removed but the shape looking oblongish. Essentially all Korean war versions were different in various ways from the F4U-1D from the front windscreen forward. I believe the wing guns were different as well, being two 20mm per wing (4 total) versus the 3 per wing (6 total) for the F4U-1D.

Regards,

Don