Landing gear hydraulic lines

I use magnet wire but the wire is also connected to a motor(s) in the nose and/or wings. Conforming the wire to the landing gear struts like that of brake lines, into the wheel hub and down the bottom of the tire allows me to get the wire down into the base where the battery, trim pot and on/off switch are kept. It worked out nicely on an RB-36 model I built a few years ago as well as some other models.

One day I visited Hobby Lobby and purchased a variety of wire. Some thin, some thicker. Some copper, some painted. I used some of the copper wire to make brake lines on the landing gear for a 1/48 B-29. I chose to not paint the wire so that it would visually stand out.

I8VZoM0.jpg

First I went on-line to find photos of what the piping actually looked like.  Then I bent the wire to the correct shape.

X174aJo.jpg

Then I attached the wire to the landing gear. I attached the foil to the gear with strips of Bare Metal Foil.

over the years, I've used Brass wire, copper, wire,  & aluminum wire. Then I found both round and oval lead wire that I purchase from UMM-USA.  It's way easier to shape and conforms to just about any space, nooks & crannies. The drawback is that you need to be careful with it as it bends almost by just looking at it. I'm also currently using it for engine ignition wiring, it's that good.  It also comes in several different dia. sizes, which makes it that much more usual.

Joel

2 hours ago, Ed DeVivo said:

Johnny_K  I did the same at Hobby Lobby a week ago! What did you use to bend the wire?

I used some inexpensive needle-nosed pliers and tweezers that I bought at HL.