On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:31 AM, Peterpools said:

Not sure why but I surely wish everyone would sign their name at the end of each post or comment; justs makes everything so much more friendly and personal. 

Peter :wave:

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 5:44 PM, midnightprowler said:

Not a bad idea. It would be nice to know everyone's real name.

You'll need a Top Secret/ SSI Clearance to know this........

.....or the first four letters of my member name.......

The way I see it, I figure my personal info is already being bought and sold out there on the dark web.  If someone really wants something from me, they'll find a way to do it.  Besides, call me old fashioned, but I was always taught to sign my name at the end of a correspondence.  It's the upstanding thing to do.

Eric

22 hours ago, MacStingy said:

Personal choice. Period.

Make up a name then. I rather address my response to a conventional name or nickname then many of the handles used. For those that make little sense, I don't bother addressing my posts.  If you're so concerned about privacy, then as I said, you can be traced from your posts no matter what name/handle you use. 

In any even, it was a common sense suggestion and that's all it was.  Now back to modeling.

Seems to me like if you are not comfortable enough with what you are saying to put your name under the statement then you probably shouldn't say it. Do you use some silly "handle" when you introduce yourself? Do you not reveal your name when asked in person?

All the excuses why not to do it is just that-excuses. Stating your first name only compromises what?

Norm

13 hours ago, nfiler said:

Seems to me like if you are not comfortable enough with what you are saying to put your name under the statement then you probably shouldn't say it. Do you use some silly "handle" when you introduce yourself? Do you not reveal your name when asked in person?

All the excuses why not to do it is just that-excuses. Stating your first name only compromises what?

Norm

Norm,

Well said.

As I posted a few times,  using your real 1st name like Tom, Dick, Harry, Bill, etc. where millions of people have the same 1st name has nothing to do with one keeping their privacy. I would be more concerned with the issue that people with the proper expertise in how the internet works, can back track your post to your computer from theirs.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

So what now? there are name police as well? Geeeshh... Just let people do what they want. What's the big freakin' deal how people sign their name or have their log-in? Don't want to respond to someone because of their name? Seems like a rather limited view, but again that's your prerogative. 

BILL

You do whatever you want. Don't impose your values on me. My family( not kids ) and close friends may use my first name. People that I have never, met I don't care to be on a first name basis with. Strangers can call me Mr.---  or Sir and that's just fine.

MY CHOICE.

That's fine Mr. Pools. There's no problem with you disagreeing with me. I just think that ignoring someone's posts simply because you find their log-in name or how they sign their post inappropriate or impersonal means that you could miss out on some very informative and interesting conversations. That's your choice. And I have no problem with the your original observation about what you feel would make for a more pleasant forum in your eyes. But it's just that, an observation in your eyes. Doesn't mean I agree. but that's good too. And I also have to have a chuckle at the statement that using a nickname is childish was made on...a model forum full of grown-ups (mostly) who, let's face it, play with essentially toys. That right thar is pretty darn funny. But it's all good.:cheers:

And if truth be told, my real friends call me many different things, because they are my friends, and "Hey you" would be polite in comparison. :thumbsup:

Bill

Well, in the great scheme of things, neither is of any significance I guess.  And it is not an either/or situation at all. The information in the post would probably be there no matter what appears in the upper left corner of the post.

But the forum is labeled as a discussion or forum. In my opinion (and yeah, I know about those) I tend to pay more attention to posts that have a name associated with them. And again "Plastic Smasher", Glue sniffer" etc. are descriptions, not names.

It is just common politeness. If we were all in somebody's home sitting around talking about models, I don't think this would be as issue at all. Why is it here? And security does not count. First name only is not a step toward compromising that.

Norm

Some folks prefer anonymity on the web.  There are folks on this site that I know personally and I know they prefer to keep their real name secret.  Nothing wrong with that.  I respect their wishes and address them by their profile name.

As for me, when I was kid, for the longest, time, I thought my name was Jesus Christ or goddamnit.  When my brother and I were up to no good, my folks would shout, "Jesus Christ!  Goddamnit!  What are you two up to now!?"

Call me anything you want.  Just don't call me late for dinner.

Mike

3 hours ago, GW8345 said:

So, what is more important, the info being provided or the name of the person providing it?

GW8345

This.

Let's not take Rivet Counting and criticising canopy shapes to a whole new level.

2 hours ago, AX 365 said:

As for me, when I was kid, for the longest, time, I thought my name was Jesus Christ or goddamnit.  When my brother and I were up to no good, my folks would shout, "Jesus Christ!  Goddamnit!  What are you two up to now!?"

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

On 31/10/2017 at 4:15 AM, niart17 said:

..a model forum full of grown-ups (mostly) who, let's face it, play with essentially toys. 

Bill

I dont know about you Bill, but I build detailed scale models for display purposes, ....I do not play with toys.

Cheer’s,

Jeff.

:thumbsup:

Sorry, it wasn't intended as a slight, just thought it was funny talking about being childish in a model building forum. We're not doing brain surgery or anything. It's not the most mature thing in the world we could be doing with out time. That's all.

47 minutes ago, Wolfgun33 said:

I don't see the problem with posting my name. It's not like it gives away all your deep dark secrets.

Mike

Honestly, I don't see a problem with it either, and typically I do sign my name at the bottom if I think about it. My point was it's everyone's decision to make on their own, and that it seemed rather silly to ignore people who don't use their first and/or last name. That's all. But to each his own. And on top of that.....more importantly.....GO 'STROS!

Bill

3 hours ago, niart17 said:

Sorry, it wasn't intended as a slight, just thought it was funny talking about being childish in a model building forum. We're not doing brain surgery or anything. It's not the most mature thing in the world we could be doing with out time. That's all.