1/48 Eduard Spitfire Mk XVI

Model #2 for the year complete!  It is the Eduard kit in 1/48 scale.  Here’s a little more about the aircraft and pilot from the kit instructions: 

Spitfire Mk XVI RR227, Flown by S/Ldr. Otto Smik, CO of No. 127 Squadron, Grimbergen Airfield, Belgium, November, 1944.  

“Otto Smik was given command of No. 127 Squadron on November 13th, 1944 and became the last of three Czechoslovak pilots who commanded British squadrons in WWII.  He was killed by Anti-Aircraft fire during an attack on a railway station in Zwolle, Belgium on November 28th, 1944.  He was credited with eleven kills and three V-1’s destroyed at the time of his service.  He flew Spitfire RR227 on that fateful flight.”

I used aftermarket resin parts for the upper engine cowl (Ultracast), prop and spinner (Ultracast), wheels (Brassin), and 500lb centerline bomb (Brassin).  I added brake lines from copper wire and a clear plastic position light.  Paints were sprayed with my Tamiya HG airbrush and I used Tamiya acrylic paints throughout.   Thanks for looking!

zsaOoYH.jpg

8nwhts1.jpg

bcrdtbC.jpg

Tf4iwT6.jpg

EYB8ftD.jpg

k2HKWC5.jpg

8g99o8M.jpg

safRiyy.jpg

yxkrnh4.jpg

vaeNMvO.jpg

NxXCTrN.jpg

pcfcizk.jpg

Zkis6IV.jpg

And here’s the second kit from the Limited Edition dual boxing that I finished two years ago.  They look good together!  I can definitely see where I have improved as a modeller when looking at the two kits side by side, especially regarding basic construction, seam work, and painting.  Going to the US IPMS Nationals this year was both inspiring and extremely enlightening - I have done my best to apply some of the lessons learned.   

jJyuGe3.jpg

zT8pio1.jpg

On to the next kit!

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi
Update

On 10/20/2017 at 1:57 PM, R Spreckley said:

Very nice

On 10/20/2017 at 11:14 PM, Bravosierra001 said:

Looks great!

Brandon

On 10/21/2017 at 4:00 PM, AlienFrogModeller said:

Nicely done!

On 10/21/2017 at 5:28 PM, CaptainObvious said:

Great job!
They do look good together :thumbsup2:

Thanks guys- I appreciate the feedback!  I am pleased to report the model placed 3rd (1/48 Military Propeller Aircraft) in the High Plains Con XXVIII competition today.  There were some awesome builds there!

Edited by Falconxlvi
Grammar

Falcon,

Eduard's kit is a dream to build, and you did it justice in everyway. Not a flaw anywhere that I can see.  Congrats on your 3rd place finish.  1/48 scale single engine prop is a very hotly contented category. 

Joel

15 minutes ago, Joel_W said:

Falcon,

Eduard's kit is a dream to build, and you did it justice in everyway. Not a flaw anywhere that I can see.  Congrats on your 3rd place finish.  1/48 scale single engine prop is a very hotly contented category. 

Joel

Thank you Joel.  Indeed, I love the Eduard Spitfire kits and I am looking forward to building more.  First, I’m going to knock out one or two of Eduard’s new Bf 109Gs.  As for the competition- you’re 100% correct!  It was the single largest aircraft category at the event and there were some spectacular builds.  

Steve