who has lost collections, books, models etc... in resent floods,fires,

anyone who wishes to tell their story put it down here. I lost my model 

collection of both scratch built models and kits mostly unbuilt bought in the 70s and 80s . It was a theft of my whole storage unit. they said the old caretakers sold the wrong unit. wrong my foot!!!! i had uniforms, medals, art work (my own) and all the models 200+ it still gets me!!!  

Edited by baronred3

I had an authentic Junior Seau football jersey signed by the whole team including owner (1996), all my air force stuff (awards, medals, T-bird litho with my name on it. All destroyed when my basement flooded.

Lost just about everything we owned when our home burned down due to an electrical induced fire. Didn't even have a toothbrush that night.  No matter what, some things are just irreplaceable. 

Joel

16 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

I would be devastated to lose my library. I have it listed in a database but no pictures of my 800 or so titles.

Brilliant idea. I could have scanned all my book covers when I cataloged them in a Google spreadsheet. I used that so I can refer to it at home or when I'm out and about. 

My parents had all their furniture and effects lost when my father was transferred while he was serving in the RCAF.

The most prized were his photographs, my father served in both the RAF and RCAF. He was also RCAF liaison with the Arrow program. Everything was lost and never recovered.

He even played on the same soccer team as all the test pilots and engineers in the Arrow program, those team pictures were also lost.

The Santa Rosa IPMS show was supposed to be last Saturday, but it was canceled because the raffle prizes and show supplies were lost in the Northern California fires. If those were lost you can assume that club members lost a lot more than that.

My hurt is rare items: old kits and books. I have old luftwaffe books i couldnt  replace at all! Cant wait till they make a machine that will scan a book turn the pages and all. I cant do some books but no time for rest.  

When we got hit by Hurricane Irma here in PR my storage room outside of my house withstood the winds but got a lot of water under the door but no damage to my stash..but… Maria blew one of the windows and wind and water trashed all the storage contents, including my 300+ stash. The plastics bags with the sprues, for the most part, where undamaged but the boxes, instruction booklets, and decals where wasted. I also lost two compressors and a LOT of aftermarket decals. It’s a real mess but I am grateful that my house and cars did not suffer mayor damage.

Edited by nachjager
56 minutes ago, nachjager said:

When we got hit by Hurricane Irma here in PR my storage room outside of my house withstood the winds but got a lot of water under the door but no damage to my stash..but… Maria blew one of the windows and wind and water trashed all the storage contents, including my 300+ stash. The plastics bags with the sprues, for the most part, where undamaged but the boxes, instruction booklets, and decals where wasted. I also lost two compressors and a LOT of aftermarket decals. It’s a real mess but I am grateful that my house and cars did not suffer mayor damage.

From what I've seen of the total destruction  caused by Hurricane Maria, if you have electricity, water, and you're daily life is basically back to normal, you're way ahead of the game.  Doesn't your Homeowners insurance cover your loses?

Joel

6 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Doesn't your Homeowners insurance cover your loses?

Depends on your policy. If, after you replace all your clothes, furniture etc, you may still have enough coverage, but many "collections" often exceed basic coverage. For example if you have a lot tied up in cameras or jewelry or a cellar full of fine wine or your priceless complete collection of Playboy magazines, you often have to pay for additional and very specific coverage for such collections.

11 minutes ago, habu2 said:

Depends on your policy. If, after you replace all your clothes, furniture etc, you may still have enough coverage, but many "collections" often exceed basic coverage. For example if you have a lot tied up in cameras or jewelry or a cellar full of fine wine or your priceless complete collection of Playboy magazines, you often have to pay for additional and very specific coverage for such collections.

habu2,

I have every rider I could get to cover everything we own. When our house burnt down we were covered for everything. the only thing we couldn't get is flood insurance as we're not in a flood federal flood zone. 

Joel