F/A-18F Superhornet "VFA-102 50th anniversary" Diamonds back

While waiting for some parts for the Sukhoi and to take some pauses from it too, I decided to tackle a fast, straight forward build. I've been wanting to build this jet since I really love colorful schemes and with this one I'm pretty much served!

I think most of you know the kit itself so on to the pics

The box art

IMG_0234.jpg

The decals

IMG_0235.jpg

Hasegawa gives you the option to paint the red parts or use the whole decal, so you can actually build two models out of this sheet, I went for painting the red parts

The build, as I said, is straight forward

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

I wanted to have a close canopy with pilots inside to give figures a try! I really suck at it!

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

Hope you like it

i started to try the red marks, I thought about using the white stripes from the decals but decided to use paint since I was already masking..

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

Some overspray but fairly easy to correct

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

The other side went on smoothly so I guess I'm ready for the rest of marks!!

16 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Beautiful start on the F-18 and always appreciate OOB builds.

keep 'em coming

Peter :thumbsup:

Thnx Peter! I like OOB builds too! one can actually get some nice models the easy way! and mostly with a small budget!!

IMG_0357.jpg

Two mistakes were made on the last pic, I didn't mask all the way down when painting the white stripe, so I got white mist all over the stab, even if sprayed fine and carefully! you can clearly see how few tape I layed down to mask it!:bandhead2:!

The other one is I didn't clean the airbrush well after spraying the red coat! result.... a pinkish white stripe! lesson learned! lazy ones work double

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

kike

been thete, done that more then I care ti admit and just a gentle nudge about shortcuts whichbakways seem to take so much longer in the end.

Some very nice work on the preshading - looking mighty good  and no question-some of the neatest madking I've ever seen.

Keep 'em coming

Peter:thumbsup:

On 10/21/2017 at 7:55 AM, fulcrum1 said:

That decal sheet looks nice! Is that usual Hasegawa fare or is it one of those kits with cartograph stickers? 

As far as I can remember they are Hasegawa decals but I will check on that!

I took a different aproach on the back, I tried painting the red first, and something I realized a bit too late is that, red paint over black gives you a dark red tone! almost no matter how many paint i sprayed over it, it was always kinda red wine

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

Since I'm going for the closed canopy I needed to have a perfect fit to avoid getting paint on the interior so I carefully looked for gaps and there was a small one but gap non the less, I cure it with a bit of tamiya cement and it was ready to spray

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

9 minutes ago, Mike C said:

Woo hoo! Another VF-102 50th anniversary build! Love this scheme. Built 2 of these schemes myself several years ago.

I'd love to see your models! still a bit to go on this one and I would like to see if there's anything I could add from yours!!

I was going to give you the links to my threads but then I noticed I needed to fix the pics since I rearranged my Photobucket albums. Mine are 1/72 though. Here are the finished threads:

1st: 

2nd: 

Kiki,

Love your choice of paint schemes.   Looking real good. 

I'm willing to bet that nearly all of us have tried taking a short cut cleaning out our air brushes, only to end up with either a creative "new color" that needs to be repainted, or a balky AB that now needs a complete strip down & cleaning.

Looking forward to your next update.

Joel

19 hours ago, Mike C said:

I was going to give you the links to my threads but then I noticed I needed to fix the pics since I rearranged my Photobucket albums. Mine are 1/72 though. Here are the finished threads:

1st: 

2nd: 

Wow those are some really nice models! watching the pics of the second one I realized I have them!! I picked them up online as references! and I could have sworn it was a 1/48th model! very nicely done! both of them!

11 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Kike

Aces on the masking and air brush work. Simply stellar.

Keep ‘em coming :thumbsup:

Peter

I appreciate Peter! the best thing about masking and spraying is that I'm loosing fear to do it! I would chickened out some time ago, but after what I've done with my Flanker I realized that's the way to go when possible and I have to try to make it possible! I'm happy!!

7 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Kiki,

Love your choice of paint schemes.   Looking real good. 

I'm willing to bet that nearly all of us have tried taking a short cut cleaning out our air brushes, only to end up with either a creative "new color" that needs to be repainted, or a balky AB that now needs a complete strip down & cleaning.

Looking forward to your next update.

Joel

I'm glad you like the choice Joel! is really hard for me to build a low-vis one color plane! they are so hard to make them look "real" I mean you have to master the art of painting and I feel I'm kinda far away yet! That's one of the reassons why I'm waiting for the big cats on the stash! in this case the scheme makes half of the job and they look great on display!

The upper color has been applied

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

Little problem again, if you look closely both reds are way different, and it's not about the light on the picture, you can see a difference between the spine and the stabs....another correction is gonna be needed! This is getting harder than anticipated but I really like the result is just not the right color! so this is the way to go!

kike

Aces on the paint work. It’s hard to see the difference in the reds and I’m assuming they are the same paint. Only two reasons I can think of is the base color was different or the paint in the AB was contaminated with another color. It’s so close my vote would be to leave thevreds as is.

Keep ‘em coming

Peter

14 hours ago, Peterpools said:

kike

Aces on the paint work. It’s hard to see the difference in the reds and I’m assuming they are the same paint. Only two reasons I can think of is the base color was different or the paint in the AB was contaminated with another color. It’s so close my vote would be to leave thevreds as is.

Keep ‘em coming

Peter

The problem was actually the preshading, red color is something like transparent, so in order to have the right tone a light base must be applied, in this case the base was dark hence the darker tone!

it's already been corrected

IMG_0466.jpg

Now I'm happy!

Thanks for watching!