Barkhorn’s Bf-109G-6

I recently purchased the Eduard Weekend Edition “Erla” kit and was surprised to see Barkhorn’s aircraft inscription “Christl” depicted as yellow on the decal sheet. Am I missing something?  Has there been new research to suggest it was yellow and not white?

I was going to use the kit decals and build this scheme but now I’m wondering how accurate the depiction of this one is. 

I also bought 4 other boxings of the weekend and overtree boxings of Gustavs and Friedrichs and wow do they look nice!  I’m looking forward to building these beauties. 

Thanks for any help on this odd/different color of these markings!

Yellow seems unlikely.  The best photo collection of Barkhorn images, Bernd Barbas' Das vergessene As - Der Jagdflieger Gerhard Barkhorn, Luftfahrtverlag-Start, ©2014 includes color pics of his 109F-4 (also on the cover), and his G-6 in the summer of 1943 when he briefly led the I/JG 52.  Mrs. Barkhorn's name appears in white (portside only).  As his long-time First Mechanic, Albert Kusterer, likely applied these, I can say 'only possibly' did the color change for the WNr.15909.  There's a series of a dozen photos of this machine taken by Luftwaffe-Kriegsberichter-Kompanie 8 on 8.Sept. 1943 (when he claimed his 170., 171., and 172.).  The tonal difference between the yellow of the octane triangle and the Rumpfband, and the white of the cross, is slight.  That said, the white trim of the Doppelwinkel and the small '5' looks the same as the name.  Eduard likely went with Claes Sundin's portside profile, as he chose yellow for the name.

Good luck in your build, GRM

Thanks, guys!  I’m going to look around and see if I have an old kit decal of “Christl” in white. If not, it’s not like there is a shortage of interesting schemes to build. 

Man, these really are great looking kits. If they build as well as their molded detail I think I’m in for a real treat. Right after I get done with the last of the fall house projects that is.