hello everybody.

i dare to present to you my attempt to resurrect a long time gone emotion.

you may -or may not- remember the revell 1/48 HO4S-3 of 1960. well, i did build it as a teen and it gave to me deep emotions and a lot of fun.

as i'm not in the mood of vintage building, i decided to build for good the italeri 1/72 kit drawing inspiration from the old revell's box art.

the color, for once, wasn't a problem. int'l orange overall. stop. i used model master acryl paint.

decals, were a little more difficult a step. fortunately maxdecals of ireland produces a very fine set dedicated to antarctic choppers, part 1.

i don't know what will be there in part 2, but my whirlybird was't included, so i had to pick decals here and there from different helicopters and periods to assemble the ones that were needed. 

nevertheless, i had to scavenge into my decal dungeon to find some that were not in the sheet.

it may seem strange, but the decals i missed were simple "rescue" black on yellow stencils that on max's set were printed in an unusual "see through" way; possibly right for the helos they were intended for, but definitely useless for mine.

i am convinced that "VX-6"s are a bit too thin, and the tail rotor warning is too low. yes, the bu.no. is borrowed from an icebreaker's ho4s-3...

now that i have confessed my sins, please go to: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KscSQ2CWUPCK58Ho1

and -i hope- enjoy!

thanks for watching.

best ciaos and...happy modeling!

bobo.

hi don.

but: black on yellow or white on red? and, which scale?

here, on the spot, i have three left-pointing yellow/black from an sh-3d, 1/72 scale, old and a tad yellowed, i have already treated with microscale liquid film.

you can see them on my ho4s-3.

also, i have a couple of excellent white/red opposite (left-right) 1/72 from a skyraider microscale sheet.

may i ask what project are they intended for?

if they can be of help, you tell me, and i can just flip them into a small envelope and have them shipped to you for free.:cheers:

in case you need more you must allow me the time to plunge into my decal dungeon.

but please give the detail of what you need...:rolleyes:

best ciaos and happy modeling. bobo.

15 hours ago, midnightprowler said:

Beautiful!

12 hours ago, Rotorman said:

looking sharp. Heres another helo that should be done a bigger scale.

9 hours ago, UH-1Mad said:

very nice

thank you very much guys. i appreciate! :cheers:

and, rotorman, you're right: as for helos there's almost nothing in, say, 1/48...but the old revell kit with that charming box art...:rolleyes:

best ciaos. bobo.

dear c2j.

first out, thank you for the implicit appreciation of my antarctic whirlybird.

second, well, the reason why i did not try to get and build the (expensive...) vintage revell 1/48 kit is exactely because i did not want to confront myself with a hard labor to a poor outcome due to the limitations of the venerable kit itself.

instead, i tried to reproduce as accurately as i could the "aura" of that old kit, though in a smaller scale.

not since long ago, i have dealt with the challenge of another old revell kit, the p2v-7 neptune, circa1955 vintage.

i really tried my best, and in the end i am definitely satisfied with the outcome but on the shelf, the difference with more recent models is evident.

if you feel like having a glimpse you can find it here: https://goo.gl/photos/GVw9gqPMHMBRFoJz5

again, thanks, and...happy modeling!

best ciaos. bobo.

• 2 weeks later...

ola, alexandre!

thank you for posting my ho4s-3; we both share an emotional deep attachment to the old revell 1/48 kit.

but you spearheaded well beyond than building a vintage kit!

there are no words to  comment or praise your job.

i well understand that it took one year! but you have eventually brought to life a bunch of orange styrene!!! you gave it really the puff of god!

felicitationes de corazòn.

hasta siempre!

muchos ciaos. bobo