1/48 F-111 opinions please?

I'm one of those "good enough" modelers, and I'm fairly happy with how my Academy F-111F turned out.  This was the Academy F-111C kit with modifications.  There where things I didn't like that I would do different if I were to build this again; but good enough for now :)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb32/toclafane/IMG_4918_zpse4tzovxp.jpg

Edited by Benner
7 hours ago, IAGeezer said:

Question - The TP II intakes were placed further out from the fuselage than TP I, (12 vs 8 inches), were the TP II intakes any wider or deeper than TP I? Of course, I forgot to measure THAT when I last went to Omaha....

I measured them once at Cannon when we had an A-model there for a change of command. Not a scientific job, but dimensionally they appeared to be identical. Of course, the TP I cowling moved, while the TP II had blow-in doors and eliminated the splitter panel. Also, the TP II spikes were 18" longer, which is the thing that the 1:48 kits all miss. Best solution is to get the D-Mold intakes, even though they're designed to fit the Academy kit, so they're too close to the fuselage.

16 hours ago, mrvark said:

LOL!! Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?

I dont Mr Vark I dont like any of them, Im much along the same lines as you with the F-111, I built my first Airfix F-111E more years ago than I care to remember, I moved on to Academy when it was released, I built a few of them in my time too. I had high hopes for the HB kit and that turned out to be a load of ol crap, and its very expensive for what is a very inaccurate kit. The canopy, flaps and bomb bay all need fixing for instance, which are the meat and bones of the kit really.
We have waited 20 years or more for a good rendition of an F-111 in 48th scale, and there is still nothing on the horizon, espcially after HB queered the pitch with their ****

14 hours ago, Petrov27 said:

So how are the OzMods correction/aftermarket sets? They look quite nice on their website, especially the wheel well/undercarriage replacement set. At some point I would like to do an EF-111A Raven - I assume the Academy 1/48 kit for this retains the issues of the other versions?

The OzMods / Scaledown stuff is nice. The weapons, in particular the AIR fin Mk82 bombs are well worth it for a serious F-111 load as they were pretty much tailor made for the F-111 along with the Paveway III because of its delivery profile.

The Raven by HB is ok as long as you build it with flaps up so you dont see the mistake, the bomb bay is closed and the canopy can be fixed. However the Academy kit doesnt need a canopy fix, it looks better with than without. My first choice would be Academy but its not great either.

2 hours ago, mrvark said:

I measured them once at Cannon when we had an A-model there for a change of command. Not a scientific job, but dimensionally they appeared to be identical. Of course, the TP I cowling moved, while the TP II had blow-in doors and eliminated the splitter panel. Also, the TP II spikes were 18" longer, which is the thing that the 1:48 kits all miss. Best solution is to get the D-Mold intakes, even though they're designed to fit the Academy kit, so they're too close to the fuselage.

See, even D mold got it wrong!

How hard can it be!!!!!! The Imperial War Museum at Duxford would probably let any kit manufacturer crawl all over their E model to get a good kit made, there are a few across the USA that could be used too.

On 11/25/2017 at 4:52 PM, Benner said:

I'm one of those "good enough" modelers, and I'm fairly happy with how my Academy F-111F turned out.  This was the Academy F-111C kit with modifications.  There where things I didn't like that I would do different if I were to build this again; but good enough for now :)

IMG_4918_zpsrdzzebnr.jpg

Benner-

Did you do a WIP over on Britmodeler? I really enjoyed the build. Nice results! Stealing some of your ideas!

On 26/11/2017 at 2:42 AM, mrvark said:

Has anyone tried fitting the DMold intakes to the HB kit? 

Thanks

Jon

10 hours ago, jonbryon said:

Has anyone tried fitting the DMold intakes to the HB kit? 

Externally, they fit fine. However, you're going to need to modify the MLG bay. In the real jet, the intakes form the sides of the bay, which makes the walls curve inward, unlike the kit where they're a straight box. Just one more of the blunders of the HB kit.

3 hours ago, Petrov27 said:

Are there any aftermarket ejection seats currently available for the F-111 in 1/48? Searched a bit - about all I am finding is that ages ago there was a Black Box 'pit set?

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/ams48010.htm

They are out of stock right now, but I am working on re-stock next week,

Ahh - gotcha, forgot about the escape capsule deal with this a/c

Harold - thankya - not sure how I missed those but signed up for email notice for when they restock

Another question - any aftermarket for TP I intakes? Doing EF-111A Academy (or at least planning a future build) - I see DMOLD and CE did TP II intakes....

22 minutes ago, Petrov27 said:

Ahh - gotcha, forgot about the escape capsule deal with this a/c

Harold - thankya - not sure how I missed those but signed up for email notice for when they restock

Another question - any aftermarket for TP I intakes? Doing EF-111A Academy (or at least planning a future build) - I see DMOLD and CE did TP II intakes....

Nope, I only did the seats. Sorry.

4 hours ago, mrvark said:

Externally, they fit fine. However, you're going to need to modify the MLG bay. In the real jet, the intakes form the sides of the bay, which makes the walls curve inward, unlike the kit where they're a straight box. Just one more of the blunders of the HB kit.

Thanks. The external fit is what I really care about. I'll figure out the  internals later - I can live with the inaccurate wheel bay (no one will ever see it), but I'd like to have the correct length spikes.

Cheers

Jon

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again

After getting a super cheap, slightly started (few parts and no paint yet) Italerie F-111E/F last week I am back in the game. Since the kit was almost for free I will start shopping for AM stuff after new year!

Marry Christmas to you all and happy modelling!

cheers

Uwe

On 10/22/2017 at 9:09 AM, swimmer25k said:

Joeltc is on the money.  

The Academy kit is super-basic and lacks a ton of detail.  I built the EF about 10 years ago kitbashing the Verlinden and Black Box cockpits, Cutting Edge intakes,Paragon flaps, Squadron canopy, and some scratch built parts.  

Hobby Boss adds most of that detail and then craps the bed with the canopy.  I'm the lower threshold modeler who'll often overlook something like that, but not on this one. 

Mike Witkowski made a great HB FB-111 using the Squadron canopy and eliminated the weirdness.  

Chris

Chris, is that build on ARC?

Well Poop...  I just picked up the HB F-111D/E, and THEN find this thread while looking for aftermarket intakes for it.

Over on the weapons loads thread (linked below in my signature file), I blasted the instructions.  Be very careful in what you believe you should do according to the instructions when it comes to weapons, chaff/flare, and that Pave Tack Pod (wasn't used on the E, wasn't used on the D... EVER).

Glad I waited until I could afford to buy it (at $100 USD, I'd be royally pissed, but at 180RMB (including shipping), not so much).

Edited by KTesh
15 hours ago, KTesh said:

Well Poop...  I just picked up the HB F-111D/E, and THEN find this thread while looking for aftermarket intakes for it.

Over on the weapons loads thread (linked below in my signature file), I blasted the instructions.  Be very careful in what you believe you should do according to the instructions when it comes to weapons, chaff/flare, and that Pave Tack Pod (wasn't used on the E, wasn't used on the D... EVER).

Glad I waited until I could afford to buy it (at $100 USD, I'd be royally pissed, but at 180RMB (including shipping), not so much).

Is it possible to make a F-111F with the Hobbyboss D/E kit?

I'd love to see someone produce a 1/32 kit of the F-111.

On 12/1/2017 at 1:00 PM, mrvark said:

So Vark, would you build the Hobbyboss or the Academy if you wanted a Foxtrot?

On balance I still prefer the Academy kit. I'd recommend getting the 2010 F-111C release. It included a bunch of tweaks from the original releases and, although a scab-on, a very nice and accurate PAVE Tack pod--MUCH nicer than the HB one. You'll need to shorten the wings a bit, but that shouldn't be too much of a challenge. You'll still need to get the D-Mold intakes. Also, the F had unique engine nozzles.  The only ones I know of were done by Paragon years ago. There's a pretty good thread here on the various F-111 kits and aftermarket options.

11 hours ago, mrvark said:

On balance I still prefer the Academy kit. I'd recommend getting the 2010 F-111C release. It included a bunch of tweaks from the original releases and, although a scab-on, a very nice and accurate PAVE Tack pod--MUCH nicer than the HB one. You'll need to shorten the wings a bit, but that shouldn't be too much of a challenge. You'll still need to get the D-Mold intakes. Also, the F had unique engine nozzles.  The only ones I know of were done by Paragon years ago. There's a pretty good thread here on the various F-111 kits and aftermarket options.

Thank you Sir! I have the Verlinden update and lock on for my Academy kit as well. I did take a look at the OzMod and Scaledown products, but a bit pricey for me to use on a "Sow's ear" if you get what I mean. It's too bad about the HobbyBoss shape problems, it certainly looks to have more subtle detail. I'll hold off on my build for a bit and see is I can locate the Paragon cans someplace. Thanks for the help!