F-35/ Have Glass paints

I gave a try to MRP 36170 and 36270 per Furball instruction but it doesn't look right to me. I think I will mix 36170 and 36270 to reduce the contrast. I am going to post some pictures from my spoon trials later today. New F-35s like these from Hill AFB seem to have the ram panels looking more like a base coat. 

Appologies for the quality but I was too lazy to set the light tent up. From the left:

- MRP 36170 and Hataka 36270 for RAM panels. All covered with MRP have glass varnish

- MRP 36170 and MRP 36270. Then all covered with MRP have glass varnish. 

- Hataka 36170 (it has metalic finish as sprayed) 

medium.jpg

Edited by DanW
9 hours ago, mrvark said:

You might try this:

https://www.hbhobbies.com/collections/us-army-air-corps-us-air-force-us-navy-aircraft-3?page=3

Note there is a $15 minimum order and the paint comes in small metal tins like Xtracolour.

Like Humbrol tins? Like half ounce? For 5 bucks? Man, they love their paint. I guess I'll have to switch to 72nd scale or Krylon. :rolleyes:

On 10/23/2017 at 7:00 PM, Space Tiger Hobbes said:

Since Raptor Sheen came and went, I now see references to a few companies making "Have Glass" paint. Some looks passable. What are you folks using? On the F-35, what are you using for the contrasting color on the RAM panels or is there a specific FS number? Thanks.

I've used Mission Models "haveglass" twice now and i like how it turned out. If you want, give me your email and I'll send some pics

Edited by goondman
3 hours ago, goondman said:

I've used Mission Models "haveglass" twice now and i like how it turned out. If you want, give me your email and I'll send some pics

Would you like to share it with everyone else here instead, I believe many are still looking for the accurate shade...

20 hours ago, mrvark said:

You might try this:

https://www.hbhobbies.com/collections/us-army-air-corps-us-air-force-us-navy-aircraft-3?page=3

Note there is a $15 minimum order and the paint comes in small metal tins like Xtracolour.

Over $5 a tin? That seems a bit pricey for an enamel based paint of that quantity. I did check out their website, not much information on the formula other than the colors they offer.

4 hours ago, goondman said:

Ya... I have to go the photo web site thingy... I'll to get them uploaded this evening

Thanks for doing this!  I’ve got a Meng F-35 ready to go and am wondering which way to go for the Have Glass paint too.  

Steve

I too have a Meng F-35A and am wondering about the colors. I have the MRP paints. Considering the minimal contrast shown in the example above, they would seem to be closer to the current/new scheme used by the F-35 which seems to have very little contrast between the two colors used. The sheen on the Hataka paint looks very nice too.

Why/how is it that in some photos the serrated etc. panel highlights are lighter than the rest of the airframe, in some photos they're darker, and in some photos the finish appears very uniform? Are they the same material, or is most of the finish the metallic paint that looks lighter when the sun hits it but the panel lines are covered with something else with a flat finish that doesn't flash brighter in the sun?

And if you use a gloss coat at any point, does that not darken your base color? It sure does when I gloss coat a flat finish. 

Edited by Space Tiger Hobbes
You're kidding. I had more to say.
2 hours ago, Space Tiger Hobbes said:

Why/how is it that in some photos the serrated etc. panel highlights are lighter than the rest of the airframe, in some photos they're darker, and in some photos the finish appears very uniform? Are they the same material, or is most of the finish the metallic paint that looks lighter when the sun hits it but the panel lines are covered with something else with a flat finish that doesn't flash brighter in the sun?

And if you use a gloss coat at any point, does that not darken your base color? It sure does when I gloss coat a flat finish. 

Funny how it does that, huh? Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert on the F-35, but apparently the RAM is different color. On the real aircraft the same thing happens. One picture you can't make out the RAM in another it's sticks out like a sore thumb. As for the gloss coat; it actually made the main color seem brighter to me. Also the RAM markings are from wolf pack decals and they are terrific. To match the RAM decals i filled the bottom (about a centimeter up from the bottom) of one of those metal siphon feed paint cups with Tamiya XF-83 and added 2 small drops of X-1. It wasn't exact, but it's reeeeaaalllllll close

13 hours ago, goondman said:

Awesome- thanks for sharing these pics.   So, to be clear, that was the mission models paint straight from the bottle?   It looks pretty good - maybe a bit too sparkly.  I have access to these paints at my local hobby shop and may try it on my F-35.    

Edited by Falconxlvi
42 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Which paints are you referring to?

Those are Colourcoat paints, originally from White Ensign Models (WEM). The WEM versions are outstanding enamels for both color and quality. As long as the same producer is making the paints, they should still be excellent.

Edited by dnl42