Removing adhesive residue without stripping paint.

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has a suggestion for removing adhesive residue from a model without stripping the paint beneath. Picture below shows the residue on the lightest gray section. 

LdQbN6g.jpg

YM7EAg9.jpg

This residue is from the mask used to make the camo scheme. 

Any suggestions? 

34 minutes ago, boom175 said:

Depending on how tough the undercoat is you might try a toothpick chisel to push the paint up and off.

Its well cured enamel underneath. Probably safe if i am careful. 

I am going to try the tape method then ronsonol if that doesn't work. 

I had stencils made by a sticker company. Not sure, but it sure as hell was not meant for use on delicate model paint jobs for sure. Something akin to Duct tape level tack. 

Not best idea I know. Should have just made my own stencils with friskett paper. 

I had a similar problem withmasking tape adhesive residue after using 3M masking tape. The issue was that I had left the tape on for too long, it was during an international  house move so the packed up part finished models were in a hot shipping container for a couple of months. As a result the adhesive dried on, so when the tape was removed it left behind all the dried adhesive layer. 

In that instance I used a scalpel to carefully scrape it off, but would like to know if anyone else has got a better method for removing dried masking tape adhesive

Cheers 

Les

I'm late to the party. But that looks like the Ace Combat's Yellow 13.

You didn't need to had custom masks made.

Hasegawa provides a PDF for download on their site.

http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/product/sp312/ near the bottom look for "PDF"

Print, apply spray glue, the ones that say repositionable on the can, they're low tack. Cut, apply. And just take the tip if you need to do something similar for future projects.

Edited by Inquisitor
21 hours ago, Inquisitor said:

I'm late to the party. But that looks like the Ace Combat's Yellow 13.

You didn't need to had custom masks made.

Hasegawa provides a PDF for download on their site.

http://www.hasegawa-model.co.jp/product/sp312/ near the bottom look for "PDF"

Print, apply spray glue, the ones that say repositionable on the can, they're low tack. Cut, apply. And just take the tip if you need to do something similar for future projects.

Yeah it is. Well I took that PDf that Hasegawa provided, and did some magic in PS, and had a couple stencils made with them. Next time though, I will be using Friskett paper. 

Now, I have no idea what sprayable glue is/looks like. I have liquid mask I could have used. I would love to explore it for future use.