Best panel wash, non enamel based?

Thanks for the inputs. The reason I asked was because I tried Tamiya wash enamel’s. I started with Model Master enamel then clear coat future. The Tamiya wash ate through the future a little bit, but not completely actually didn’t mind the look added to the weathering. Some other pieces only had tester laquer clear coat, which got eaten off when I used the testers enamel thinner on the Tamiya enamel wash. 

I used to use Flory Models (and they're very good), then I used enamels as they create great staining effects and are good to use for US Navy planes if you used a really durable paint like Mr Color Lacquer.  Over time though I found I developed a preference for oil washes, you can control how thin/thick they are, have a large range of color options, you can do "oil dot filtering" effects with them, any brand of good quality oil paints from an art supply store and mineral spirits is what you're looking for.  Also searching for different articles about each type here on the forum can be a good idea.

Dan

I use Roy Sutherland's recipe. 50/50 Future and water. A couple drops of your favorite color of Tamiya paint, and a drop or two of Liquitex flow aid. Apply over a lacquer of enamel based gloss/semi gloss. You can then use a swab and Windex to clean up if needed. It will work over an acrylic gloss as well, just need to be careful using Windex to clean it up.

So far, I have used TAMIYA panel line wash on Future glossed model with TAMIYA acrylic paint underneath. The wash itself never damaged the paint but when I clean up the wash with enamel thinner(as recommended by TAMIYA wash bottle) it eats through Future and damages the paint underneath. I am done with Future. Converting to TAMIYA gloss(X-22)

Edited by MiG Hunter

I use different techniques for different applications. I do prefer the Flory wash for a General overall dirty effect, then seal with either Tamiya X-22 or good old Testors Glosscoat, and then more controlled enamel washes for specific effects. The problem I'm having now is that I'm just about out of my last bottle of Dark Flory wash, and it's only orderable from him in England. the price with shipping and time lag just doesn't justify going that route. Originally, I bought it through Sprue Brothers, but they're long out of it. Does anyone know of a similar product?

Joel