28 minutes ago, habu2 said:

...externally the same.

Mostly, yes, other than the IRST unit on the windscreen.

I did it the hard way (E to a C) by filing, scraping, sanding and whittling an E down. Not fun.

Found out too late that Muroc Models has the resin conversion in 1/72, not sure about 1/48.

Gents,

First off,  the F-8D was an E with a small nose, or perhaps better stated the other way: the E is a D with the big nose to accommodate the larger APQ-94 radar. The only other differences between the two is that the E had wing stations, the D did not, and the 150xxx E's were built with the hump, which the D and 149xxx E's did not have.  The D cockpit is identical to the E with two exceptions: the radar scope for the APQ-83 was similar to, but not the same, as  the one in the C; and the station selector on the weapons sub-panel on the D did not have wing stations(not something to worry about in 48th scale) . I would post a photo of the APQ-83 radar scope, but PB is not uploading for me at the moment

So to get from an E to a D, the biggest part of the conversion is the nose, and as others have pointed out, the Muroc C Cconversion, though not perfect, will get that for you, and it has a nice C instrument panel, which is close enough to a D in 48th.  Unfortunately, it does not have a good replacement F5 seat, so you are stuck wit the kit seat, but it is a decent replica of the F5, though very basic. There is also, or was, anyway, the Cutting Edge C conversion, but I do not recommend it, as it does not accurately depict the early nose. 

HTH,

Tom